RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Alternator Problem?? Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 07:08 PM
jcjr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Salim, Code 58 and everyone....

My battery is an AZ battery(Duralast) that is why I took it there first for the test...

Again I have seen no warning lights on dash......For now I am going to sit tight and see what happens .....

As Code 58 recommended I may try another "load" test may be at Sears

I will let you guys know how it goes...

Thanks again!!!!
Old 07-23-09, 10:30 PM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

My bad ,,,, Duralast andnot die-hard.

You like to invest in a battery charger .. specially if you expect long spells of no use or short trips.

Salim
Old 09-10-09, 03:12 AM
rx300s415
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salimshah
It is sort of double negative ....

There is a warning lamp that turns on, when the battery is not getting charged. The first time you move the key to run, make sure all your warning lamps in dash turn on. When you start and the engine runs the lamp should turn off.

With a die-hard battery and the warranty, just drive up to Sears and let them have a look. You can drop the battery with them for an overnight charge. They can test your alternator too and if needed get you the replacement battery (under warranty).

Alternator belt might be loose. [you should see the discharge lamp in the dash light up]

Salim
Hi Salim,

So from reading your post if my alternator belt is loose, it would light up a completely different icon in my dashboard other than the "battery-looking light" that is on right now?

I was driving tonight and I noticed it flicked on. I guess my day off tomorrow will be fun-filled...

Assuming I need a new alternator, what is the best solution for this? I've heard things anywhere from junkyard to brand new to rebuilding.
Old 09-10-09, 04:12 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rx300s415
Assuming I need a new alternator, what is the best solution for this? I've heard things anywhere from junkyard to brand new to rebuilding.
I think that alternators, like many other parts (e.g., starters, transmissions, engines) are not available brand new any more. The options are auto recycler (junkyard) or various qualities of rebuilt (with dealer supplied probably the highest quality tier). One tip-off is that rebuilds almost always have a core charge.
Old 09-10-09, 05:33 AM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by rx300s415
Hi Salim,

So from reading your post if my alternator belt is loose, it would light up a completely different icon in my dashboard other than the "battery-looking light" that is on right now?

I was driving tonight and I noticed it flicked on. I guess my day off tomorrow will be fun-filled...

"battery-looking ligt/icon" is the discharge lamp ... battery not getting the charge from the alternator. During night driving the electrical load is higher as well as easier to spot the icon (even if it is faintly lit).

If your alternator belt is loose, you would hear/observe a slippage when the A/C is engaged.

Although by checking voltage, shops can tell if the alternator is not putting out enough voltage, but a better test is once you take the alternator out and put it on their test jig [your vehicle electronic malfunction can give a false reading of voltage].
Once you get to that stage and it is confirmed that the alternator is bad, then you have couple of options:

a) Repair it [need to get hold of service kits, tools, and have the know how to debug and repair]. Some shops can do this service for you .. check cost.

b) Swap it with rebuilt [member mentioned you have to give the core to them]. Most if not all auto parts shop will do the exchange over the counter.

c) Get an OEM replacement. If not stocked, the dealer may have to order one for you.

B & C typically are the shortest down time options. C being most costly and you should weigh other factors. .. cost difference and your short/long term ownership plans.

Salim
Old 09-11-09, 03:15 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had a bearing go in my alternator about a week ago. I had no symptoms except for a noise from under the hood. I had it checked out by my local Toyota dealer, who took a look at it for FREE!!!. Told me that a bearing in the alternator was bad. And preceded to direct me to go get a rebuilt one from an auto parts place or one from a junk yard. I just ordered a new one from Lexus, it was $242, I intend to keep this car for a long time.
Old 09-11-09, 05:19 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bob2200
I think that alternators .... are not available brand new any more.
I guess I thought wrong But, doing a web surf, it looks to me like $260 or so is the going price for a remanufactured DENSO RX300 alternator ( drivewire.com/vehicle/lexus-rx300/alternator/ ). Junkyard prices are about $125. Sewell has Lexus alternators OEM in the $600-700 range, I didn't price out a specific model. I suspect you are getting a remanufactured model at that price. Nothing wrong with a remanufactured alternator though.
Old 09-12-09, 05:42 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go to www.parts.com, this is where I get all my NEW lexus parts.