RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

02 Rx300 Rear Brakes Binding! Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-09, 06:15 PM
02RX300AWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Rx300 Rear Brakes Binding! Please Help!

Ok guys here is the situation. I had to do a brake job all the way around on my rx300 AWD. I bought new rotors and pads and decided to tackle it today. The fronts went on perfect after I took it for a ride to check and make sure everything was as it needed to be and it was. Now on to the rear everything came off just fine and went back on just fine. So I get everything all back together, I put the wheels back on and tightened them. Now to the test drive. That didn't go so well because when i put it in R to back out after I let off the brake it wouldnt move not even a little bit. I gave it some gas but it still wouldnt budge. I gave it a little more gas and it moved, but it was REALLY binding up somewhere. I put it in park and decided to take a look. I took off the wheels on both sides, took everything apart again and put it back together again. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary so i thought maybe it is fixed now. I tried it again with no luck it was still binding up somewhere. I have done many many brake jobs and have had nothing like this happen. Can anyone please help me out. I am stuck! ( No pun intended, haha)
Old 08-05-09, 06:58 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 315 Likes on 274 Posts

Emergency brake messed up?
Old 08-05-09, 07:03 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Did you adjust the emergency brake shoes on the rear after replacing the disks?
Old 08-05-09, 07:23 PM
salimshah

Received 1,069 Likes on 962 Posts

When you jack the RX one should chock the wheels (I will explain later)

And before dropping down, one should spin the wheel [wheels chocked and trans in "N" ]. I generally I use a rubber mallet to thump the calipers and specially the drum [if equipped and worked on]. This helps in seating the free floating things.

If you have the FWD, then the rear wheel should spin freely with trans in "P" ans auxiliary brake released.

Back to the posted problem ... how hard was it to stick in the new pads. Make sure the fluid is moving freely back up the reservoir. The side to side play (run-out) pushes the fluid back.

Salim.
Old 08-05-09, 07:27 PM
02RX300AWD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thomas1
Did you adjust the emergency brake shoes on the rear after replacing the disks?
No I didn"t but I am almost positive this is not the problem.
Old 08-05-09, 07:33 PM
02RX300AWD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
When you jack the RX one should chock the wheels (I will explain later)

And before dropping down, one should spin the wheel [wheels chocked and trans in "N" ]. I generally I use a rubber mallet to thump the calipers and specially the drum [if equipped and worked on]. This helps in seating the free floating things.

If you have the FWD, then the rear wheel should spin freely with trans in "P" ans auxiliary brake released.

Back to the posted problem ... how hard was it to stick in the new pads. Make sure the fluid is moving freely back up the reservoir. The side to side play (run-out) pushes the fluid back.

Salim.
I did chock wheels. I tried to spin the wheel (trans in N) after I put everything back together. I couldnt so I assumed it was because I have AWD and not just FWD. Also I dont have rear drums I have disc all the way around and when I installed the discs on the back everything came off and went on without any problems. The only resistance I got was from the drivers side rear it needed a little more effort to come off but it came off just fine.

The pads were easy to put it, in fact I remember thinking to myself that this was probably the easiest rear brake job I have ever done. Boy am I regreting saying that now.

When I put everything back together I also made it a point to lube the slides so that nothing would hang up.
Old 08-05-09, 09:11 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Oh, my 1999 RX300 has drum brakes inside the disk rotor on the rear. It uses both disk and drums on the back, the drums being the parking brake.
Old 08-05-09, 09:18 PM
02RX300AWD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thomas1
Oh, my 1999 RX300 has drum brakes inside the disk rotor on the rear. It uses both disk and drums on the back, the drums being the parking brake.
Right I know that I just thought he was talking about regular drum brakes.
Old 08-05-09, 11:11 PM
salimshah

Received 1,069 Likes on 962 Posts

I try my best not to mislead that is why I stated if equipped and worked on. The Aux brake is drum and since you did not work on it directly, some link may be hung-up.

In "N" awd vehicle can roll ... so the wheels may have a bit of drag, but you should be able to spin them.

You can work by elimination [figure out which does not spin] or worst case drive a bit to see which one heats up. [my pref would be NOT to drive though].

Then take out the pads and see if the wheel spins freely. It could be wrong assembly and caliper could be hanging etc.

Some times, it is better to rest couple of hours and then go back to the problem.

Salim
Old 08-06-09, 12:21 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 02RX300AWD
Right I know that I just thought he was talking about regular drum brakes.
RX300- How did you retract the calipers to put the new pads in? Meaning did you push the fluid back upstream or let it out at the bleeder? I personally don't ever like to push the fluid back upstream. As Salim suggested, I think it would be a good idea to remove the rear calipers and pads and see if the axles turn by hand (or with the wheels on), or if they are still locked up. Can't be too complicated to narrow it down. If they're still locked up, you need to see if the rotor will come off (indicating whether the emergency shoes inside are holding). Are you sure that the emergency released (or if there is something wrong with the ratchet assy)
Old 08-06-09, 04:48 AM
beachlover
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems to me the first thing to do is figure out if it's the right or left side that's binding. Maybe put sand under both rear wheels and force the Lexus back a foot, and look at the impressions left behind.....BTW I also suspect the emergency brake.....
Old 08-06-09, 04:49 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by code58
RX300- How did you retract the calipers to put the new pads in? Meaning did you push the fluid back upstream or let it out at the bleeder? I personally don't ever like to push the fluid back upstream. As Salim suggested, I think it would be a good idea to remove the rear calipers and pads and see if the axles turn by hand (or with the wheels on), or if they are still locked up. Can't be too complicated to narrow it down. If they're still locked up, you need to see if the rotor will come off (indicating whether the emergency shoes inside are holding). Are you sure that the emergency released (or if there is something wrong with the ratchet assy)
good point code58, i personally just compress the calipers upstream and never had any problems with it but i can see there is a definate risk in doing so, is this the method in which you compressed the calipers rx300?
Old 08-06-09, 07:12 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure you have the correct rotors on the rear? There is a difference between FWD and AWD rear rotors.
Old 08-06-09, 08:46 AM
02RX300AWD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
I try my best not to mislead that is why I stated if equipped and worked on. The Aux brake is drum and since you did not work on it directly, some link may be hung-up.

In "N" awd vehicle can roll ... so the wheels may have a bit of drag, but you should be able to spin them.

You can work by elimination [figure out which does not spin] or worst case drive a bit to see which one heats up. [my pref would be NOT to drive though].

Then take out the pads and see if the wheel spins freely. It could be wrong assembly and caliper could be hanging etc.

Some times, it is better to rest couple of hours and then go back to the problem.

Salim
Thanks for the help I have slept on it and have been thinking about it all morning. I am just so frustrated because this has never happened to me before. Also I forgot to mention one thing due to tiredness last night. When I took everything apart I noticed that the inside pad on the drivers side was the only pad actually making contact with the rotor. I think it was this way on the pass side too.
Old 08-06-09, 08:51 AM
02RX300AWD
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am going to go out there in a few a take a look again. I am pretty sure that it is not the e brake holding things up. The rotors go on and come off easy so I am pretty sure that it cant be that. Also im pretty sure the rotors are the correct ones because they look identical to the old ones i took off a lot newer of course but identical.

Another thing i forgot to mention i mentioned in the above post was the fact that after taking it apart i noticed that the inside pad was making contact with the rotor. it seems like it is in constant contact with it and may be what is binding me up.

Please if anyone has any suggestions please keep posting. I need all the help I can get at this point!

Quick Reply: 02 Rx300 Rear Brakes Binding! Please Help!