RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

****EMERGENCY**** key internals

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-09, 12:10 PM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation ****EMERGENCY**** key internals

ok, gave the rx to my fiance, the key casing was broken around the screw, long story short she lost the internals of the key and now car wont start, had a spare at the house, put a new battery in it, car still wont start, im thinking that sinc ethe spare has not been used in well over 3 years probably that the battery died and is no longer "associated" with the car.

I thought i read on here somewhere something about re-programming the key to the car by doing a certain sequence with the gas and brake pedal

Anyway if anybody has any ideas, PLEASE CHIME IN!! thanks guys
Old 08-10-09, 12:16 PM
UNOHOO

heres a sequence i found for the IS like i was talking about

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ote-entry.html
Old 08-10-09, 12:24 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The ECU should have both of your keys remembered. The coin cell battery in the master key is meant to power on the remote control of door opening, not to power on the chip inside the blade.

You will need another replacement masterkey in anycase. Use the key code found on Lexus black plastic key card to order a non-OEM from a keysmith named TranspoderIsland off ebay. He programs and cuts the replacement masterkey for $45 (need to buy the key and the cutting & programming service) shipped. Make sure you told him you want the 37mm blade, I got the 40mm so it is a little long but works fine.
Old 08-10-09, 01:12 PM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
The ECU should have both of your keys remembered. The coin cell battery in the master key is meant to power on the remote control of door opening, not to power on the chip inside the blade.

You will need another replacement masterkey in anycase. Use the key code found on Lexus black plastic key card to order a non-OEM from a keysmith named TranspoderIsland off ebay. He programs and cuts the replacement masterkey for $45 (need to buy the key and the cutting & programming service) shipped. Make sure you told him you want the 37mm blade, I got the 40mm so it is a little long but works fine.
thanks man, i really appreciate it
Old 08-11-09, 04:29 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default No working master key?

It sounds like UNOHOO doesn't have a working master key (i.e., one that will start the car). My understanding is that you need a working master key in order to register another master key (short of an ECU reflash). But, as I understand it, sitting for 3 years or more shouldn't disable a master key.
Old 08-11-09, 05:28 AM
UNOHOO

****UPDATE****
turns out she kicked the internals under the seat, there must be something to the internals being in the key in order for it to start cause with the key and no internals it would not start, then once i found them, UNDER THE FREAKING SEAT!!!, and put them in the key the car fired right up. So now that i have a working master is there a way to make the other key "associated" with the car? kinda like that post in the IS section i put the link to earlier?

nonetheless thanks guys, you guys are always very helpful and i really appreciate it
Old 08-11-09, 05:41 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As you found out the chip in the key is not actually in the key but in the electronics module. Even though it is located in this module the battery is not needed for it to work. If your other key started the car at one time it should start it again without any programming. A key does not become dis-associated with the car under normal circumstances. I would check this out closely before moving on to programming. If you still need to program here is a post with a link to RX programming instructions:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-new-keys.html

Last edited by mikey00; 08-11-09 at 05:45 AM.
Old 08-11-09, 05:50 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, that remote needs to be within a few inches of the ignition to start. Under the seat was out of range. Glad you found it!

I only had one remote and that shell was becoming a lot like yours. I recently bought another remote key and shell key for mine from Sewell. Adding the remote was pretty easy and with the shell I just dropped in the remote from the old and into the new. Then took a hack saw to the old blade.

If you use Sewell make sure you use code: 909RK for their key discount.
Old 08-11-09, 06:38 AM
UNOHOO

thanks mikey! im going to try that when i get home tonight just in case she loses it again! who knows, it might be somewhere more difficult to find like....in her hand or something lol just kidding

blueridge, i think i am going to get one of those replacement shells but how did you switch the actual metal part of the key? last time i looked at the one that wasnt all the way broken it looked like there was a non-removable piece of plastic covering the top of the key stem
Old 08-11-09, 07:02 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
thanks mikey! im going to try that when i get home tonight just in case she loses it again! who knows, it might be somewhere more difficult to find like....in her hand or something lol just kidding

blueridge, i think i am going to get one of those replacement shells but how did you switch the actual metal part of the key? last time i looked at the one that wasnt all the way broken it looked like there was a non-removable piece of plastic covering the top of the key stem
A replacement shell is actually a metal blade (cut to your vin) with a empty case. It is called a shell because you load your electronics into it. Best price is the one tunedrx300 posted above. A cheaper alternative is just get a key jacket from thejacketstore.com. This will protect and hold your broken key together. I have jackets on all my Lexus keys now.
Old 08-11-09, 01:34 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the correction on the transmitter holding the security key. This makes the start button feature on new Lexus models more sense because 1) no physical key for wear and tear when starting 2) no security issue since all Lexus keys already tranmitting unlocking code to the ECU remotely (all it differs is distance: from your hand vs. from your pocket).

The blade is molded into the plastic shell so you can't just move the blade and move it to the new shell. You can still keep the blade from the broken key in the wallent, it can still unlock doors in case of a lock-out.
Old 08-28-09, 05:44 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by TunedRX300

its actually transponderisland in case anybody run across this thread
Old 08-28-09, 07:37 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A few years back I got some replacement shells from ebay and had them cut locally.
Now I find myself in the same situation with cracked key housings, bought a few shells from dealextreme for $3.40 something shipped each;

short; http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16361

and a couple of the switchblade ones off ebay. Need to go find someone to cut them locally, don't expect it to run anywhere close to $40 per key. (last time the local locksmith charged me $10 per key to cut them.)

also have a longer version; http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16362
Old 08-28-09, 08:37 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

I contacted transponderisland about my key 3mm too long, the guy is nice and offer me a replacement one for free. I ship it back last week and will measure when I get a new one back.
Old 08-28-09, 11:12 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DonCorleone
A few years back I got some replacement shells from ebay and had them cut locally.
Now I find myself in the same situation with cracked key housings, bought a few shells from dealextreme for $3.40 something shipped each;

short; http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16361

and a couple of the switchblade ones off ebay. Need to go find someone to cut them locally, don't expect it to run anywhere close to $40 per key. (last time the local locksmith charged me $10 per key to cut them.)

also have a longer version; http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16362
These are a great deal if you can find someone to cut them for a reasonable price. I was just about to order after seeing your post but decided to call around first. I couldn't find anyone who would cut them at any price, let alone a reasonable price. It seems like the locksmiths who have the necessary equipment will only cut their own keys. Their reasoning is they don't want to take a chance on screwing up their machine with a unknown key. It may be valid or may be just profit driven but I can see their point.

Quick Reply: ****EMERGENCY**** key internals