RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Good place to buy replacement Nav DVD unit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-09, 06:02 PM
tstack77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good place to buy replacement Nav DVD unit?

10 days after my warranty ran out I got the "No Disk Detected". I tried the dvd cleaner method but the problem remains. Does anyone know of a good place to buy a replacement (the dealer wants $1800!)?

I called all the local junkyards and looked on ebay without any luck.

Ideas?
Old 08-13-09, 06:54 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tstack77
10 days after my warranty ran out I got the "No Disk Detected". I tried the dvd cleaner method but the problem remains. Does anyone know of a good place to buy a replacement (the dealer wants $1800!)?

I called all the local junkyards and looked on ebay without any luck.

Ideas?
Keep in mind that the Navigation ECU is a Toyota product. This unit is in many other Lexus and Toyota vehicles.

I have a 2001 RX300, my ECU developed the same problem as many have. I took it apart and found a tiny motor that drives the DVD laser malfunctioning. I cleaned it and it worked for a while.

After 3 months, it failed again. After a lot of searching, I found a salvaged 2005 Prius and got a Gen 4 ECU with disk for $400. Same part number that is in Gen 4 Lexus vehicles, just plug and play! Took about 15 min to swap out.

If you have a 2001-2003 RX, you can put Gen 2, 3, or 4 ECU's via just plug and play. I opted to only look for Gen 4's to get away from the motor issues in the Gen 2 and 3 ECU's. Here are the Toyota part numbers:

Gen 2 ECU part: 86841-50010
Gen 3 ECU part: 86841-33060
Gen 4 ECU part: 86841-50090

If you're interested in trying to fix it, try this link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-detected.html Please only attempt if you're experienced, patient, and don't mind screwing it up more.

In that link you'll also see a place to send it off for repair. For the price they charge, you should find a Gen 2 -4 ECU in a salvage yard.

One last thing, if you go to a Gen 4 your current disk will not work. Gen 2 and 3 disks are interchangeable. Gen 4 is a different disk since they upgraded the map, menus and data.
Old 08-18-09, 08:30 AM
tstack77
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info! I will try cleaning the motor first because it truly seems like the easiest fix.

If it doesn't work, stepping-up to a gen4 unit sure seems like the way to go. Are there any draw-backs/unusable features with the gen4 ecu's in an older gen2 vehicle? And should every 2004-06 lexus/toyota vehicle with a nav unit be the correct ecu?

Last edited by tstack77; 08-18-09 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-18-09, 09:21 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

Thanks for the info! I will try cleaning the motor first because it truly seems like the easiest fix.

If it doesn't work, stepping-up to a gen4 unit sure seems like the way to go. Are there any draw-backs/unusable features with the gen4 ecu's in an older gen2 vehicle? And should every 2004-06 lexus/toyota vehicle with a nav unit be the correct ecu?
Taking the unit apart is not a big deal. Just take notes or pictures of what you remove or unplug along the way so you'll have bread crumbs on the way back out.

For me, the motor needed some cleaning and it also shifted in it's position so I just re seated it. This appears to be a common problem in Gen 2 and 3's. Some have needed to replace the motor, the motor is VERY hard to find.

As for the Gen 4 question, the only drawback I've seen so far is: You'll need a new disk if it doesn't come with one. The Gen 2/3 disks will not work. There are no unusable features or menus. The only thing that could be considered unusable is the bluetooth phone feature. However, since I do not have it installed, that icon doesn't appear on the screen.

The years you mentioned should have the Gen 4 ECU. I would confirm the part number though. Mine came out of a Prius with front end damage. You'd never know it by looking at my screen.

If you'd like, I'll post some pics...
Old 08-18-09, 10:25 AM
tstack77
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again. I found a list of gen4 vehicles that should have the same unit, then found used ECU's from car-part.com for ~$400 (thanks for the part #'s).

I will try to clean out/realign the motor tomorrow evening before I open the wallet, but just knowing that the most I'll spend is < $600 really makes my day.

As to pics, I'd love to see some updated screenshots
Old 08-18-09, 11:49 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

No problem, I'll snap a few. You may also try the following:

http://jbrlsr.com/?aid=5336108637&bi...fAudioQ5fVideo

It's mentioned in this thread I posted to you originally.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...etected-5.html

I've found some Gen 4's (including mine) by searching for the appropriate make/year here:

http://www.partshotlines.com/
http://www.nationwideusedautoparts.com/index.html

When you search online sites like this one, many times they are listed under: GPS/Info/Screen, then under "player".
Old 08-18-09, 02:38 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

First few screens from the Gen 4 ECU out of a Prius. Notice, you will not see Prius or Toyota anywhere.

One cool improvement is you can list more than one POI on the map. If you're into that kind of thing, I think you can list up to 5 different POI's to show on the map.
Attached Thumbnails Good place to buy replacement Nav DVD unit?-phpwn0osbpm.jpg   Good place to buy replacement Nav DVD unit?-phpc0ewmkpm.jpg   Good place to buy replacement Nav DVD unit?-phpljqjxxpm.jpg   Good place to buy replacement Nav DVD unit?-phpp4rayqpm.jpg  

Last edited by blueridge; 08-18-09 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-18-09, 02:49 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

Few more shots, note the improved route choices and service reminders.
Attached Thumbnails Good place to buy replacement Nav DVD unit?-phptjdrb9pm.jpg   Good place to buy replacement Nav DVD unit?-phpbhhnezpm.jpg   Good place to buy replacement Nav DVD unit?-php1cfj2jpm.jpg   Good place to buy replacement Nav DVD unit?-phppffzb7pm.jpg  
Old 08-19-09, 06:55 AM
tstack77
Driver School Candidate

Pretty cool shots, thank you. It's not incredibly different, but the color definitely adds some flavor.

Shame to see that the "I agree" screen is still there, been annoyed with that one for years. Is there still a block so that you cannot enter info while driving?
Old 08-19-09, 07:37 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

In the Gen 2/3 you can override the motion system but you had to be stopped. The Gen 4 is much easier, you can do it stopped or moving.

I posted some pics of this before: All you do it touch the top left, then touch the bottom left, then top left in the volume menu. This will bring you to the "service menu". Just touch and hold the "override" icon for about 5 seconds until it beeps and becomes bold.

From this you can have a passenger enter any information available as if you were stopped.

You right about the screen, a lot of similarities. However, there are some nice improvements but in all....Not a huge difference. However, the guts of the Gen 4 ECU is beefed up from the Gen 2/3. That's what I was after.
Attached Thumbnails Good place to buy replacement Nav DVD unit?-phpkrqlz4am.jpg   Good place to buy replacement Nav DVD unit?-phppiajfoam.jpg   Good place to buy replacement Nav DVD unit?-phpggoogsam.jpg  

Last edited by blueridge; 08-19-09 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-19-09, 07:52 AM
tstack77
Driver School Candidate

I have been reading a lot on the override feature since my last post, pretty damn annoying I must say for Lexus to continue doing this. Did you make a hybrid disc or does the override still work with gen 4 ecu's on the latest 8.1 disc?
Old 08-19-09, 07:58 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

I only use original disks, too many risks with these glass ECU's. This came with the latest disk. You may be thinking of the latest Gen 6. I've heard Lexus took away the override feature.
Old 08-19-09, 08:34 AM
tstack77
Driver School Candidate

Odd that it works for you on the latest 8.1 disc. Supposedly since 6.1 discs one had to make a "hybrid DVD" with a certain file from the 5.1 disc in order to retain the override functionality for gen 4 units (HERE is a link with it explained.)

Are you using the 5.1 disc that was in the '05 Prius?

Last edited by tstack77; 08-21-09 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-20-09, 06:27 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

Odd that it works for you on the latest 8.1 disc. Supposedly since 6.1 discs one had to make a "hybrid DVD" with a certain file from the 5.1 disc in order to retain the override functionality for gen 4 units (HERE is a link with it explained.)

Are you using the 5.1 disc that was in the '05 Prius?
Interesting, I pulled the disk and it's 7.1. They told me "latest disk installed". I have an order in the the new 9.1 disk that should be out next week. I wonder if that will remove the override?
Old 09-08-09, 07:19 AM
tstack77
Driver School Candidate

Did you get the newer version yet? Is the override enabled?

I ordered a gen 4 player and am waiting for it's arrival, just curious if I should scour ebay for a 6.1 disc.

Quick Reply: Good place to buy replacement Nav DVD unit?