RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

I cleaned my headlights with ATF - Automatic Transmission Fluid - It works!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-09, 08:38 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I wish I could have tried this the other week. I just used some Meguiar's PlastX on mine with good results, http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...?T1=MEG+G12310
Old 08-17-09, 11:46 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
I dont know why the h3ll they didnt just use glass!
Lexus- They use to, before they even had plastic, but it breaks too easy, and when that gets pitted from the fine debris on the roadway, there's no polishing that!
Old 08-18-09, 05:19 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
Lexus- They use to, before they even had plastic, but it breaks too easy, and when that gets pitted from the fine debris on the roadway, there's no polishing that!
Hi folks
I was just cruising through here and spotted this post. I used to ride bikes and it wasn't until my BMW touring bike that I discovered a really good product for taking scratches and such out of the wind screen and it should work for the headlight casings as well. It was 'semi-chrome'. It's for cleaning and polishing the chrome on the exhaust pipes. The BMW bike dealer back then turned me on to it. So if anyone has some and wants to give it a try, you just put the paste on, rub it good and wipe it off. It's probably just a fine compound. It left the wind screen looking new though with out any lasting film or residue.

Last edited by Cruiter; 08-18-09 at 05:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-18-09, 09:30 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zombie
i tried it. it leaves a glossy layer on the surface. it didnt really wipe the yellow off like i hoped. i didnt have atf fluid, so i just bought fluid i found at the dollar store. i didnt feel like experimenting with atf that costs close to $5. scott1258 what brand, where did you get it, and type of atf fluid did you use?

Mobil 1 ATF - you can get it just about anywhere - I got mine at Walmart. I'd say $5 is pretty cheap to make your headlights clear again. All you need is a dab - so ask a friend if they have any sitting around. I think any brand will do.

I washed the car on Sunday and it still looks great! I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 08-18-09, 04:41 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Car wash soap doesn't wash away greasy residue like engine oil and ATF. Try dishwashing soap
Old 08-18-09, 11:08 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
Car wash soap doesn't wash away greasy residue like engine oil and ATF. Try dishwashing soap
Very true! But even car wash soap will in 3 or 4 washes unless the mix is really anemic. Oil on the foggy lens is a little bit like snake oil. Any oil will actually do, especially the light oils with Petroleum Distilate.
Old 08-18-09, 11:16 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Hi folks
I was just cruising through here and spotted this post. I used to ride bikes and it wasn't until my BMW touring bike that I discovered a really good product for taking scratches and such out of the wind screen and it should work for the headlight casings as well. It was 'semi-chrome'. It's for cleaning and polishing the chrome on the exhaust pipes. The BMW bike dealer back then turned me on to it. So if anyone has some and wants to give it a try, you just put the paste on, rub it good and wipe it off. It's probably just a fine compound. It left the wind screen looking new though with out any lasting film or residue.
You found the secret. It doesn't have to be specific for what you use it for. When I was on CQ duty 1 night when I was in the service I noticed the barrel of my very nice ball point was scuffed and scratched up, so having time on my hands I took some "Brasso" to it. Shined like a piece of glass. I have also used tooth paste for some things. They all have a very fine abrasive and lubricant of some kind. I use the fine white polishing compound for all kinds of things.
Old 08-19-09, 02:51 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott1258
Mobil 1 ATF - you can get it just about anywhere - I got mine at Walmart. I'd say $5 is pretty cheap to make your headlights clear again. All you need is a dab - so ask a friend if they have any sitting around. I think any brand will do.

I washed the car on Sunday and it still looks great! I'll keep everyone posted.
So synthetic ATF is the key. Not the regular ATF. We will try this.

Why don't you post a pic for us non-believers to see?

This could be good stuff!
Old 08-19-09, 02:52 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Hi folks

The brand name is "semi-chrome?" Where do you buy them?
Old 08-28-09, 03:34 PM
badams1897
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only true way to refinish plastic lenses is to start with 1000 grit or 2000 grit wet sand, and sand away oxidation. I would than suggest a polish after you sand increasing grit size each time.
Old 08-28-09, 05:10 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Having spent so many years in the automotive field, I was restoring hazy headlight lenses long before they ever started coming out with the kits they have for that purpose now. I am not putting them down, because for the average person that doesn't have a background in that field, the kits will do wonders, but do not do the same thing that sanding and polishing with a buffer and white polishing compound will. I always prefer doing things in a way that give me the longest time before I have to do it again, which means doing it right the 1st. time. Once sanded and buffed, they do need to be kept waxed just like the paint. As a matter of fact, the headlights really should be waxed just like the paint does. Just like the paint, they wouldn't get hazy anywhere near as quick if they were. The cheaper the plastic (ever notice Dodge/Chrysler product headlights?) the quicker they will grow hazy. Most all plastic surfaces that get scratched up can be sanded and polished in the same way.
+1, thanks for the advice about waxing our headlights, gosh I learn a lot from CL
Old 08-31-09, 01:09 PM
xis
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G12310

I have used this with great and lasting results...

Meguiars plastX
Old 09-01-09, 06:52 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah,I guess your right.
Old 09-03-09, 01:19 PM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

anyone actually have done it with before and after photos?
Old 09-04-09, 06:15 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

This is just a quick/temporary fix.I did the same thing with dull paint on an old car one time.It wont last too long trust me.

Quick Reply: I cleaned my headlights with ATF - Automatic Transmission Fluid - It works!!!