RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX 300 Helicopter Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-02, 10:29 AM
MarioRX300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's pressure change and wind speed that causes it
Old 04-16-02, 05:35 PM
FCobra94
Driver

Question

If you hear it when the sun roof is open too could one of those wind deflectors help? I like the one my Honda came with...keeps the inside comfortable at highway speed...anyone try one on their RX?

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-18-02, 12:15 AM
salimshah

Received 1,071 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally posted by Paddy Wagon
wwest,

I've built cane whistles, but never attempted to put a sticker price of $37,230.00 on them. Nor did I expect anyone to do anything like crack a window in order to play it.
That was funny. May be you can sell it to NASA.

It is an artifact of having a tight cabin. Would I prefer a designed hole in the cabin to eliminate the buffetting at a perticular speed? My answer is "No" {it adds to the price if done properly, or you get outside noise at all speeds}.

Once the surprize is over ... if one has to open one window, what is wrong with opening the other a slight bit.

Enjoy the vehicle.

Salim
Old 04-18-02, 09:11 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Exhauster

Ligon Brothers Manufacturing Co. has an "exhauster", baffled to combat entry of road noise, and sealing flaps to prevent reverse flow. Used in the Chrysler minivan and seems to work very well. Don't know if it could be retrofitted to the RX or no.

RX "exhauster" vent is at the bottom of the driver's side rear quarter panel behind the rear wheel. Lexus minimizes the exhauster size in order to increase the efficiency of the A/C system and thus keep the MPG ratings up even when running the A/C compressor below the level in which it is needed for human comfort.

Opening another window doesn't help, it's the "sealed" cabin volume to the rear of the window opening that creates the sound.

Lexus continues to run the A/C compressor below 55F ONLY to prevent the mold and mildew smell.
Old 04-19-02, 03:14 PM
satxrx
Driver

Default Re: Exhauster

Originally posted by wwest
Opening another window doesn't help, it's the "sealed" cabin volume to the rear of the window opening that creates the sound.
Actually, from my experience, opening the front windows (even slightly) does make a HUGE difference in noise reduction when the rear windows are down.

I've had this effect occur in my previous Honda CR-V and Isuzu Rodeo. And opening the front window reduces or eliminates the "booming" sensation in those vehicles, too.

I also have a Jeep Cherokee and interestingly enough the "booming" never occurs with it. But I'd much rather drive my RX 300.
Old 04-20-02, 04:34 PM
hudoff
Driver School Candidate

I think it's technically called Helmholtz Resonance and is described on the following website:
http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/Helmholtz.html.

I have it on my other car as well and cracking the sunroof eliminates it completely
Old 04-21-02, 11:09 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Hey guys... I have it in both the RX and the GS... I even get it sometimes when I'm in a Tri-Axle Kenworth... It is there no matter what you drive.. Personally I hate it.. It gets annoying...
Old 04-23-02, 04:17 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same problem in mine with various arrangements of window configurations.

Wind noise decreased somewhat with the sunroof fix on 99's.

rc
Old 04-23-02, 07:10 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

It is just something we all have to deal with....
Old 05-04-02, 07:04 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I started this thread, and now here's a follow-up.

1000mi. checkup: I took the service tech out on a test drive and lowered the rear window @55mph. He just shook his head, grinned sheepishly and said "Painful, ain't it?".

He went on to tell me "It happens in lots of cars...It's part of the aerodynamics of the RX 300, It's been this way since they came out..You'll have to speak with your service rep about it."

I returned to the dealership and explained the problem to my service rep and he looked away guiltily, smiled nervously and sputtered, "It happens in lots of cars...It's part of the aerodynamics of the RX 300, It's been this way since they came out". I was assured, however, that "we will resolve this to your satisfaction".

We're now escalating this through the service manager, but I explained to my service rep that I don't want to hear anymore "It happens in lots of cars...It's part of the aerodynamics of the RX 300, It's been this way since they came out".

I expect that I'll be blown off about this as I pursue it, but the look on their faces is priceless.

Last edited by Daddy-O; 05-04-02 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-04-02, 07:09 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

There you go..... FIGHT THE POWER.....
Old 05-05-02, 09:29 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default The answer

The ML with sunroof has electrically operated rear vent, quarter panel, windows, the non-sunroof ML does not. A clue?

Could we maybe get Lexus to add those?

The Chrysler T&C LXi has them too, and they definitely WORK!
Old 05-05-02, 01:19 PM
LeXusBoy
Lead Lap

Originally posted by DJ SprinklesNJO
DOES ANyone else not only hear that weird sound but also feel it? it feels like my head is gonna explode. how sick is that. i just crack a window when it happens, and yell to my rear passenger real fast when they only open one window, lol
Same here!!
Old 05-05-02, 07:47 PM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah i got the same thing in my mom's RX. it felt like my ears were gonna like blow up. my ear drums were like booming. great to know it's not just my mom's RX.
Old 05-13-02, 06:15 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The thread continues...

Well, I've now dealt with the Service Manager and the Customer Satisfaction "Manager". It's interesting to note how similar all the stories/explanations have sounded from everyone from the Service Technician up.

Phrases like "it's a design characteristic", "it's not just the Lexus", "because the car's just so tight". Also interesting is their total lack of knowledge regarding anyone else escalating this issue.

I maintain that:
- it's a dangerous condition, as it only occurs at highway speeds
- it's embarassing
- it's not a design characteristic, it's a design flaw
- it's disappointing to pay this much money for this kind of problem
- Lexus "refreshed" the RX in '01 but did not address this

Will I get satisfaction? Dunno. Do they squirm? Definitely!

I now get to speak with "someone from Lexus". Woohoo.

Look out Torrance, California!

Quick Reply: RX 300 Helicopter Wind Noise