RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX 300 Helicopter Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-02, 11:37 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question RX 300 Helicopter Wind Noise

Please tell me I'm not alone...There has to be a solution for this. If you've not encountered this issue, please try this next time you go somewhere.

Walk your RX 300 up to highway speed (55-75 MPH). Make sure your windows are all up.

Roll down your rear driver's side window (only) all the way. Hear anything unusual?

Close that window and then roll down the passenger's side rear window (only). Again, Hear anything unusual?

My RX makes a helicopter-like-pressure noise. It's almost like my ears are being boxed.

If I crack another window while the rear window is all the way down, the noise ceases.

Again, please tell me I'm not alone.

Thanks,
Old 04-13-02, 11:58 AM
01VaporBlueRX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey you're not alone, the same thing happens to me. I just roll down another window to get rid of the noise, or just roll the window back up. You might wanna try those window vent shades that are supposed to fix that problem. Hope this helps.
-Paul
Old 04-13-02, 12:23 PM
Static911

Oscillating (SP?) noise?

In the LS430, if the back windows are down and the front are up, I get helicoptor noise too.

However, I don't get any in the 1st, nor 3rd gen LS400's.

Static911
Old 04-13-02, 01:06 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Noise

Lexus has increased the efficiency of the climate control and reduced the "normal" interior noise factor by reducing the amount of interiro airflow exiting the vehicle.

If the "conditioned" airflow in the passenger cabin cannot escape then the A/C compressor can be used a lot less and the climate control blower speed can be severely reduced resulting in less noise and better gas mileage.

Lexus runs the A/C compressor far below the level wherein it is needed for human comfort in order to keep the A/C evaporator core coated with condensate and therefore somewhat alleviate the horrid mold and mildew smell except for when you first start the system up.

Of course running the A/C compressor for this reason and in this manner results in poor MPG ratings than would be achievable if the cliamte control were of a more conventional design.

At cruising speeds the use of the A/C compressor, without severely restricting the outflow of air, could result in as much as 10% lower MPG.

The same reason the airlines don't give you enough fresh air flow, better gas mileage.

Last edited by wwest; 04-13-02 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-13-02, 03:15 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I noticed the same when I first got the RX. It is an odd feeling and sound. Seems like a design flaw. Static, thats interesting that the LS430 does it, but on the 400's.

-nick
Old 04-13-02, 03:51 PM
salimshah

Received 1,071 Likes on 964 Posts

It is the resonance (standing waves ... like in a flute).

Based on size of the cab and how the air flows around the window (which is open) causes it. I had the same thing happen in my previous car ('87 accord).

Just open another window a crack and you would be fine or follow wwest's post and improve your economy.

Salim
Old 04-13-02, 04:22 PM
01VaporBlueRX
Pole Position

Wow you actually understood what he was saying? I lost interest half way through the second sentence. Lol no offense.
Old 04-13-02, 05:06 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Apparently, the RX 300's cousin, the Highlander, has the same issue.

Check the URL below...particularly, "Reviewed by: nancy, from Missouri". She reports in the Weaknesses category, "Helicopter wind noise with one window down. "

http://www.carreview.com/PRD_52839_1524crx.aspx

I guess the question is: Does Lexus know of this and do they have a fix that's covered under warranty?
Old 04-13-02, 05:35 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Nice avatar Paddy Wagon, I guess we can use 100x100 avatars now Yes, yes we can Thanks Static!

...and shame on me for not welcoming you to the board earlier. Welcome!!

Last edited by LexRX; 04-13-02 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-13-02, 05:53 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Thanks, LexRX...Hey, it said 100 pixels, so 5 minutes in Photoshop and there it is.

After months of homework/research, I bought it last week. It never occured to me to open one back window during my test drives. I accidentally hit the rear window button at highway speed and whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop, there it is.

I'm just looking for any info regarding this funky window noise. If it's a design flaw (defect), then Lexus is bound by their warranty to fix it. My 1000 mile service is in 3 weeks. I'll be on board with the service tech for an interesting test drive.

Last edited by Daddy-O; 04-15-02 at 05:39 AM.
Old 04-13-02, 06:00 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Let us know how it goes Paddy Wag - I'm interested to see what they say. The only solution I've found, like others have mentioned, is cracking the front window (even if it is slightly cracked), that stops it. But, again, I would think if this problem were know during the design, it would have been corrected.

-nick
Old 04-13-02, 06:23 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its the same for all us GS owners so don't think its only an RX300 thing.
Old 04-13-02, 11:47 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

DOES ANyone else not only hear that weird sound but also feel it? it feels like my head is gonna explode. how sick is that. i just crack a window when it happens, and yell to my rear passenger real fast when they only open one window, lol
Old 04-14-02, 09:08 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default GOD's design flaw

Been around since GOD created the earth (universe?).

Sounds to me like none of you ever built a cane or willow branch whistle.

As far back as I can remember any car with a decent "blocked" (no airflow outlet) volume to the rear of an open window above a reasonable speed would exhibit the affect you are describing.

It is undoubted made much worse in the RX due to the fact that virtually NO rear area exit airflow is provided by the design.

In my 68 and 72 Ford station wagons I could lower the rear window slightly and prevent this effect.

Some vehicles, the Chrysler T&C and the ML320, for instance, have rear window vents that can be opened by the driver to alleviate the problem.
Old 04-14-02, 09:24 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

wwest,

I've built cane whistles, but never attempted to put a sticker price of $37,230.00 on them. Nor did I expect anyone to do anything like crack a window in order to play it.

Quick Reply: RX 300 Helicopter Wind Noise