RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Need New Struts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-09, 06:49 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Need New Struts?

Just got my annual PA state inspection. Guy said I needed new struts. They aren't leaking but he said they "feel" bad and they have 97k miles and are "at the end of their useful life." My wife think the car drives fine - "just like new". I hardly ever drive it but it feels ok to me.

Questions: How many miles should I expect from my RX struts? How can I tell if they are bad? Should I replace all 4 or just the front? What is the safest tool to compress the springs? Thanks.
Old 08-19-09, 07:46 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got 112K now, at about 108K when I got mine inspected they (Tire Kingdom) said they would need replaced next time around. When I took it into Toyota for the T belt I had them look at the struts and they said there were fine.
Old 08-19-09, 07:55 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I am now replacing mine (for the first time) at 175K, more due to noise and clunks then to sloppy handling.
Old 08-19-09, 09:41 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

Struts in the RX 300 are pretty durable and shouldn't need changed just yet. Get a second opinion from Toyota or Lexus. Some people just assume that struts should be replaced at a certain time (probably this guy). If your wife thinks they are fine, they probably are.
Old 08-19-09, 09:44 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I should probably take myself out of the equation here, because Mexico City was a rough place for just about any vehicle, but it took a fair number of years before the rear ones started creaking, but eventually a few bad bumps took out one of the front shocks. The only other time I had a shock go (in Mexico) was taking it up a nearby mountain.

Florida has been pleasant for my shocks though.
Old 08-20-09, 12:13 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
Just got my annual PA state inspection. Guy said I needed new struts. They aren't leaking but he said they "feel" bad and they have 97k miles and are "at the end of their useful life." My wife think the car drives fine - "just like new". I hardly ever drive it but it feels ok to me.

Questions: How many miles should I expect from my RX struts? How can I tell if they are bad? Should I replace all 4 or just the front? What is the safest tool to compress the springs? Thanks.
Art-When they tell you at annual inspection that they will need replacing is that a requirement or a recommendation? If it's not a requirement, I'd say 97k is a little early unless you have some bad roads back there. My DIL's seem fine yet at 133K but I should replace the front upper mounts one of these days. I worked 'em over before it went to Seattle and got rid of the noise, but that was 36k mi. ago and there is a little bit of return of the squeek, but they don't seem to be bothered by it. I would say how well they "eliminate shock" over bumps or fairly good challenges is as good a way as any. You can't seem to bounce a car with struts to tell if they're bad like you could shocks. I personally like the "2 finger on each end" spring compressor that HF did sell (don't know if they still sell that type or have changed design) It takes 2 per coil spring, but I think they came 2 in a set. I have had 2 sets of those for about 15 yrs. and have liked the very well. They're cheap and I used them in the shop for quite a few of those years. Much easier to handle than the big 1 piece unit.
Old 08-20-09, 03:37 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by code58
Art-When they tell you at annual inspection that they will need replacing is that a requirement or a recommendation? If it's not a requirement, I'd say 97k is a little early unless you have some bad roads back there. My DIL's seem fine yet at 133K but I should replace the front upper mounts one of these days. I worked 'em over before it went to Seattle and got rid of the noise, but that was 36k mi. ago and there is a little bit of return of the squeek, but they don't seem to be bothered by it. I would say how well they "eliminate shock" over bumps or fairly good challenges is as good a way as any. You can't seem to bounce a car with struts to tell if they're bad like you could shocks. I personally like the "2 finger on each end" spring compressor that HF did sell (don't know if they still sell that type or have changed design) It takes 2 per coil spring, but I think they came 2 in a set. I have had 2 sets of those for about 15 yrs. and have liked the very well. They're cheap and I used them in the shop for quite a few of those years. Much easier to handle than the big 1 piece unit.
Thanks Roger. This was a recommendation. No pressure or attempt to upcharge, just giving me some advice. I'm not planning to do anyhting other than start shopping for a spring compressor. Haven't done a strut job in at least 15 years when I rented the tool. It slipped a couple times and I was pretty puckered up doing this job. This time I want to buy something very substantial and safe. It will pay for itself immediately, just like my vac pump and A/C gages did. Thanks again for all your help.

Is this the HF tool? I saw a Lisle ( about $75) which attaches to the coil with U-bolts. I like this style because I don't think it coud slip. The HB shown in the link is the type i used before (I think) and it had a tendency to slip out of position.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3980

Last edited by artbuc; 08-20-09 at 03:52 AM.
Old 08-20-09, 05:22 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

$13? I'd be nervous. I spent a lot more than that on one at Sears, and it is quite substantial.
Old 08-20-09, 07:12 AM
ChipM
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAB
$13? I'd be nervous. I spent a lot more than that on one at Sears, and it is quite substantial.
The HF spring compressors scared the crap out of me the only time I used them. Autozone used to have a good set for about $40.
Old 08-20-09, 11:29 AM
jasonlp
Driver School Candidate

Don't believe everything that you hear. Just got back from the dealership yesterday with a laundry list of about 2k worth of "problems". I just fixed all of them for about 150 bucks.
Struts are pretty easy to fix if you are up to doing it yourself? Seems to be the way to go now-a-days. Be careful with the springs.
Old 08-20-09, 11:31 AM
jasonlp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ChipM
The HF spring compressors scared the crap out of me the only time I used them. Autozone used to have a good set for about $40.
I hear yuh! Some of the compressors that are barely on there make me wanna jump every time I hear the slightest noise. Those things are nothing to mess around with, it's worth getting a good set that you can have forever.
Old 08-20-09, 12:38 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by jasonlp
I hear yuh! Some of the compressors that are barely on there make me wanna jump every time I hear the slightest noise. Those things are nothing to mess around with, it's worth getting a good set that you can have forever.

Just bought the Lisle 62300 for $45 from Amazon w/free shipping. They retail for $58+ although I don't know why anyone would pay that much. They look substantial and have the U-bolt connection which I like. I have had good success with Lisle specialty tools over the years. I'll let you know how they look in person when I get them next week.

http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=1199
Old 08-20-09, 02:38 PM
jasonlp
Driver School Candidate

ya I like the U bolts too. Def. a must. Those look great!
Old 08-20-09, 11:43 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default spring compressor

Is this the HF tool? I saw a Lisle ( about $75) which attaches to the coil with U-bolts. I like this style because I don't think it coud slip. The HB shown in the link is the type i used before (I think) and it had a tendency to slip out of position.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3980
No, Art, that unfortunately isn't it. They have evidently quite the 1 they sold for years and replaced it with that. I'll look at our local HF and see if they still stock the 1 I have or not. I have 2 sets that I used in the shop for years, probably did at least 50-60 or more springs with 'em and not once had any fear or chance of them slipping off. I have a high respect for coil springs, but in all the years I did the work I never once had a spring even think of getting away on me. The ones I have have a double claw on EACH end like the one you posted, but are cast and even "wrap around farther. I always used a 1/2 in. impact on 'em, which is hard on 'em and still never had any problem. Often people make the assumption that if something is inexpensive it's no good. I respectfully disagree with that. I would never recommend a tool to someone that was unsafe. I believe Lexmex had one in the pictures of the sticky on changing the struts that he did when he lived in Mexico. My brother that passed away in Feb. also had a couple sets that he used all the time.