RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Time for timing belt(s) on a 2002 RX300...Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-10, 07:43 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Wait for Lexmex...

Lexmex (LexFlo?) said in a earlier post that he was "a fixen" (FL speak) to change his belt this summer. He will take good step by step photographs and offer detailed instructions.

I need to have mine changed. I not only do not want to spend the high dealer dollars $$ to have it done. But, I've heard to many stories about owners that have had a dealer do it and had problems with rough idle and codes popping up after. They will cop a, you need sensors story (another 2K)?

If you take it to a cheaper alley garage...One click off on the belt and it will run... but not good. When you take it back to the garage they will tell you that you need all the sensors replaced and its not there fault. They sometimes will give you cheaper parts to make up for their low bid to you.

I want to know for sure that the water pump is replaced with a factory unit and all the pulleys and tensioner has been replaced with OEM grade parts.

I guess that if you can afford it (I can't) and don't want to do it. A dealer would be the little better way to go. But, they'll also sing and dance if its not done right. The job's only as good as the man that does it. A crap shoot anyway you have it done. If you want it done right...screw it up yourself!

Just my distrust of the mechanic world.

Jerry
Old 04-14-10, 06:29 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Aprazur
Lexmex (LexFlo?) said in a earlier post that he was "a fixen" (FL speak) to change his belt this summer. He will take good step by step photographs and offer detailed instructions.

I need to have mine changed. I not only do not want to spend the high dealer dollars $$ to have it done. But, I've heard to many stories about owners that have had a dealer do it and had problems with rough idle and codes popping up after. They will cop a, you need sensors story (another 2K)?

If you take it to a cheaper alley garage...One click off on the belt and it will run... but not good. When you take it back to the garage they will tell you that you need all the sensors replaced and its not there fault. They sometimes will give you cheaper parts to make up for their low bid to you.

I want to know for sure that the water pump is replaced with a factory unit and all the pulleys and tensioner has been replaced with OEM grade parts.

I guess that if you can afford it (I can't) and don't want to do it. A dealer would be the little better way to go. But, they'll also sing and dance if its not done right. The job's only as good as the man that does it. A crap shoot anyway you have it done. If you want it done right...screw it up yourself!

Just my distrust of the mechanic world.

Jerry
Jerry,

It's going to be a bit longer than that. I recently examined my belts (within the last week) and they still have quite a bit ways to go. Only reason I examined them was because of some chattering I had in that area (since gone).

One DIY that I found that was close, but for a 1MZFE Solara was here, http://www.ozone1000.com/blue_frame_...mechanical.htm
Old 04-14-10, 07:31 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Cool

Lexmex (Flo),

How did you "examine" your timing belt without pulling the tire, wheel well inspection cover, belts/pulley and assorted parts off? I would like to "examine" mine. If had to pull all of the above off, then might just as well change the belt?

Jerry
Old 04-15-10, 09:09 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Aprazur
Lexmex (Flo),

How did you "examine" your timing belt without pulling the tire, wheel well inspection cover, belts/pulley and assorted parts off? I would like to "examine" mine. If had to pull all of the above off, then might just as well change the belt?

Jerry
Jerry,

Not quite. A neighbor and I examined a section of the belt while pulling off a few of the bolts on the front part of the timing cover to get a look at the section of the belt. We did the same thing with his Acura TL.
Old 04-15-10, 09:38 AM
salimshah

Received 1,081 Likes on 973 Posts

Wait guys!

The reason for inspection of the belt are to determine if the belt needs replacement before the suggested (<= key word) 90k interval.

The things one is looking for are:
Cracks
Oil
Rounding of the teeth [wear pattern]

Although a spot check may be fine, but one needs to examine the full length of the belt.

My impression about RX belt is that the belt itself [at 90k] will look visually good. The idlers are another story. So if you are going to open it up to see every thing, just change the darn belt. The water pump (if the coolant has been in good shape) does not need to be replaced.

Again, we are discussing opinions so every one can decide for themselves.

Salim
Old 01-27-11, 09:07 AM
ciao917
Driver School Candidate

Good info from all.Thanks for the input on the TB.