RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Time for timing belt(s) on a 2002 RX300...Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-09, 10:08 AM
edgy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for timing belt(s) on a 2002 RX300...Help

so........ it is past time to have the timing belts done on my 2002 RX 300

not really interested in going to ANY dealer....I just cant afford their pricing

how much have you paid & where in the LA area did you go for this & were happy with the result...??

any one have a good independant Lexus mechanic?

we are 10k past the 90k spec now & the wife is getting nervous so we need this done asap

PLEASE advise.... & THANK YOU

ed G.
Old 08-27-09, 11:11 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by edgy

not really interested in going to ANY dealer....I just cant afford their pricing

how much have you paid & where in the LA area did you go for this & were happy with the result...??

we are 10k past the 90k spec now & the wife is getting nervous so we need this done asap

ed G.
Dont sweat it edgy,(I shouldnt mention this)but that belt will go 120,000 and beyond.Way beyond!

Last edited by lexus114; 08-27-09 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-27-09, 11:21 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 313 Likes on 272 Posts

we are 10k past the 90k spec now & the wife is getting nervous so we need this done asap.
No need to worry for a while yet but get a handfull of quotes - Lexus dealer, Toyota dealer, independents - my experience was, in this neck of the woods (NC), they were all pretty darn close!
Old 08-27-09, 08:36 PM
mic111pb
Driver School Candidate

Default Cost info for comparison

I had my '99 RX300 timing belt replaced at 105K miles. Cost was $262.95 at an independent. Also had water pump replaced for $181.95, spark plugs for $350, serpentine belt replaced for $78.48, coolant exchanged for $79.99 and power steering fluid exchanged for $40.

We turned down cabin air filter replacement for $76, transmission flush for $210, rear differential service for $53, transfer case service for $53, replace upper and lower radiator hoses for $160.

But when we got the car back it shifted funny. This was in March of 2008. When the transmission fluid was checked it was way over filled. This may have been the start of transmission problems for me which have now resulted in a rebuilt transmission. We never authorized the independent to do anything on the transmission so have no idea why they would have added fluid to it.
Old 08-28-09, 12:32 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

ed G.
Lexus is right- your TB is just getting broken in good at 90k on your RX. Don't fret about the belt going soon because you're over the 90k. I'm betting that belt will easily go twice the 90k without breaking. When you do have it changed, have them save it for you- you will be astonished at how good the condition is. Where are you located in the LA area? The local Toyota dealer puts a coupon in their flyer for $189. for the TB on a V-6. That's parts & labor- good price. It's the same engine as the Sequoia, Camry, Highlander and maybe others, so they're very familiar with it. If you were in Orange County, there is a really excellent independent near me.
Old 08-28-09, 05:43 AM
salimshah

Received 1,059 Likes on 955 Posts

I would be among the few who says, you carry a risk if you dont change the belt. While most would say the risk is low (rightly so), but you would be on your own if and when the belt skips/breaks etc. If that happens, please do not blame the well meaning advice of the CL members. In my case, at 90K the idler in the belt train needed replacement. [it is not just the belt].

If you want to keep the vehicle, you will need to change it at 100k, 110k or 120k or what ever milage. If you sell your vehicle, you will have to make adjustment in price (very likely). It is not like that it will go away.

Salim
Old 08-28-09, 06:06 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mic111pb
I had my '99 RX300 timing belt replaced at 105K miles. Cost was $262.95 at an independent. Also had water pump replaced for $181.95, spark plugs for $350, serpentine belt replaced for $78.48, coolant exchanged for $79.99 and power steering fluid exchanged for $40.

We turned down cabin air filter replacement for $76, transmission flush for $210, rear differential service for $53, transfer case service for $53, replace upper and lower radiator hoses for $160.

But when we got the car back it shifted funny. This was in March of 2008. When the transmission fluid was checked it was way over filled. This may have been the start of transmission problems for me which have now resulted in a rebuilt transmission. We never authorized the independent to do anything on the transmission so have no idea why they would have added fluid to it.
Plus they probably added the wrong fluid as well.Not many shops keep any type-IV fluid around.

Trending Topics

Old 08-28-09, 07:28 AM
mic111pb
Driver School Candidate

Default Yep you are probably right

Originally Posted by lexus114
Plus they probably added the wrong fluid as well.Not many shops keep any type-IV fluid around.
I'm thinking your right. I'm always nervous taking a car in because things like this happen.

To the OP, I would change the timing belt. The peace of mind is worth it.
Old 08-28-09, 11:44 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
I would be among the few who says, you carry a risk if you dont change the belt. While most would say the risk is low (rightly so), but you would be on your own if and when the belt skips/breaks etc. If that happens, please do not blame the well meaning advice of the CL members. In my case, at 90K the idler in the belt train needed replacement. [it is not just the belt].

If you want to keep the vehicle, you will need to change it at 100k, 110k or 120k or what ever milage. If you sell your vehicle, you will have to make adjustment in price (very likely). It is not like that it will go away.

Salim
Salim- I wasn't indicating that he should wait till high mileage to change it, only that he should sleep well till he has a chance to change it, be it 3 days, 3 weeks or 3 months from now. I found when I did finally go back in and change the idler and tensioner pulleys and belt (2nd time), as well as water pump, that the only thing that really needed changing from any stand point was the lower tensioner pulley. The reason being that, though it was smooth as silk, it was completely devoid of any grease ON the bearings. There was live grease in the area, but had all been pushed off the bearings and they were like silk, but bone dry. It is the weak link in that whole chain, because all the other bearinged parts have double row of bearings and it has the same bearings, but a single row. Interestingly, though the bearings were bone dry, and had obviously had to be for some time, there was no galling or wear or sign of heating, just an unexplained squeal at times. When I cut all the bearings and the W/P apart to inspect, they all use the same ***** and with a digital mic, they all miced exactly the same. A testament to the quality that Toyota builds with.

As an aside, it is my feeling from my experience in cutting all parts apart to inspect, that they should all be changed, but the aforementioned lower pulley is even a more important reason than the belt.

Last edited by code58; 08-28-09 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-03-09, 02:11 PM
CDSLex
Driver School Candidate

Is the RX300 engine an interference or non-interference engine? That will make a huge difference if the tb ever breaks on you. Mine is at 124k miles and never been changed.
Old 09-03-09, 02:23 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CDSLex
Is the RX300 engine an interference or non-interference engine? That will make a huge difference if the tb ever breaks on you. Mine is at 124k miles and never been changed.
I suggest you get it changed ASAP for your peace of mind, do the water pump also, good luck!
Old 09-03-09, 02:50 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CDSLex
Is the RX300 engine an interference or non-interference engine?
I see you have a 2002 RX300. From what I've read on this forum, that is an interference engine. However, a Lexus mechanic has told me (for what it is worth) that it would do some damge but not trash the whole engine (like on some interference engines) if it broke.
Old 09-04-09, 06:13 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bob2200
I see you have a 2002 RX300. From what I've read on this forum, that is an interference engine. However, a Lexus mechanic has told me (for what it is worth) that it would do some damge but not trash the whole engine (like on some interference engines) if it broke.
supposedly the VVT-I motor (like we have) is an interference engine.The non VVT-I is not.
Old 09-29-09, 06:30 AM
amekaji87
Driver School Candidate

You're right. I have the non vvt i in my 98 camry xle which I've replaced. I'm about to purchase an RX 300 with vvt i (not aware of them coming without vvt i). I'm enjoying this forum, very similar to supramania.com (also have a supra) and there's good information here. Good luck and if it makes ya feel any better, if I buy this rx near me, I'll be changing timing belt tensioner, idler pulley, and timing belt -- if I pull the motor, then I'll be going further with it. ....Yay...
Old 09-30-09, 06:54 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

If I had my motor out,I would definitely port and polish the heads/intake.These are very smooth motors though I`ll give them that.

Quick Reply: Time for timing belt(s) on a 2002 RX300...Help