RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Gold emblems

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-02 | 05:52 PM
trischulte
Driver School Candidate

Default Gold emblems

I'm looking to add the gold emblems onto my new white RX. Dealer quoted $275/kit plus installation. I saw several aftermarket sources that list from $165 to $250 for do-it-yourself kits. I'm seeking opinions from those who have installed the gold emblems. Is it safe to do it yourself and save a few bucks? What's the best on-line source?. Thanks In advance.
Old 04-16-02 | 07:17 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Is the "dealer kit" new emblems altogether that they replace your chrome emblems with or do they plate the existing emblems chrome?

-nick
Old 04-18-02 | 09:24 AM
Francis
Pole Position

I bought the gold emblems kit and the gold wheel caps from the dealer. I paid $250+plus (not cheap). The installation is easy. But you may need to spend some time to remove the original emblems because the 3M tape are very strong. Good luck.
Old 04-20-02 | 06:07 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

I got the gold kit from ebay and installed it myself. Very easy.

To get rid of the chrome, you need a nylon fishing line. Like flossing a teeth, use the line between the body and the tape to separate the existing chrome badge. Once done, you may need to clean it up a little bit but it usually is not needed except in some small places.

Then, install the gold emblems by sticking it on.

That's it!

One more thing....before I installed the golds, I sprayed clear lacquer over it (got the spray can from Home Depot) to give it more luster and protection. Several thin coats make it look really expensive and bright.

(Now, my wife wants the chrome back! This is the hard part)
Old 04-20-02 | 06:10 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

trischulte-

Since my wife wants the chrome and wants another RX color (she has the black one and is looking at the silver), let's just trade our RX
Old 04-20-02 | 05:07 PM
csm
Driver School Candidate

Why does your wife want a new color RX? Did she not like the black color? Just wondering, I can't decide what color to get. I can't decide black leather/beige leather. What is everyone's opinion on which is the best leather color and exterior color?
Old 04-21-02 | 09:59 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by csm
Why does your wife want a new color RX? Did she not like the black color? Just wondering, I can't decide what color to get. I can't decide black leather/beige leather. What is everyone's opinion on which is the best leather color and exterior color?
Wife was dead set on a black and still very much likes it. However, because the blacks tend to show even small dusts more than lighter color cars, it gets to her from time to time.

I was an anti-black before for the above reason. But when I saw the black GS, that's exactly the color that I bought. I have commited myself more to cleaning the car but it's a joy when it's clean. Also, honestly, what I've found pleasantly surprised me that it's not that far off in terms of cleaning maintenance. Yes, the dusts look more obvious when you're very close to the car but a few steps away and in the whole totality of the car- it's not that bad. I still clean the black cars the same intervals as when I had white, every two weeks and it's not that bad. Where a white color can go for a third week without cleaning, it would look bad on the black.

Get the color that really tickles you and you'll be happy.
Old 04-21-02 | 07:22 PM
csm
Driver School Candidate

I must say the black RX looks great when it's clean. We have a silver A6 now which can go weeks without a washing and still looks great. I was leaning towards the silver RX, but I wasn't sure if I wanted another black leather interior. It doesn't show dirt, but it does get hot in the summer. I've heard it is hard to keep the beige leather clean. Did your wife find it hard to keep it looking great?
Old 04-22-02 | 09:16 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by csm
I must say the black RX looks great when it's clean. We have a silver A6 now which can go weeks without a washing and still looks great. I was leaning towards the silver RX, but I wasn't sure if I wanted another black leather interior. It doesn't show dirt, but it does get hot in the summer. I've heard it is hard to keep the beige leather clean. Did your wife find it hard to keep it looking great?
Not a problem keeping the beige leather interior clean in the RX. It wipes dirt pretty easily. Not an issue. I've had it in my previous LS400 and now in the GS. We have two kids and that's a real test of the mettle. If there's anything that will get dirty and require a good elbow grease to clean, it is the base of the seats or any beige plastic material that the soles of shoes get in contact with. Agree that black interior is hotter, way hotter. I've ridden with a friend who has a black interior.
Old 04-23-02 | 05:44 AM
csm
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info whitels. If the beige leather can withstand two little kids it must hold up well. I had read on earlier posts that the beige leather was prone to marks from blue jeans and such. But I guess if it happens, I can always give it good cleaning.
Old 05-06-02 | 04:38 PM
commack4
Driver

Default black v tan

As far as the interior it's purely a matter of taste. I have a 2001 Burnished gold with the tan and a 2002 Black onyx with the black leather. The black is for me, but as previously indicated it involved significantly more effort to keep clen and the black does NOT have a clear coat finish as it is their only non-metallic color.
Old 05-06-02 | 07:19 PM
Nana
Driver School Candidate

Default REPLY ON WHICH COLORS

i have a 2001 rx black on black
i LOVE the fact that its black but it just get soooooo dirty soo fast
thats the only thing that bothers me
one of my friends has a black car and it doesnt get as dirty as fast
but for the look the black is beautiful

-nana-