RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Fault code on my 1999 Lexus RX300

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-09, 10:54 AM
outcast198
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for giving me help in this topic.
I had changed the timing belt, the belt condition is ok but I found some problems out there. Having a sharing here for other fans.

The belt has been changed by my workshop, I was waiting and watching him to done the Job for me. It takes about 4 hours to done. After he taked out the old belt, I found that the belt is still in good condition. But the 3 pulley oilseal was leaked, so I changed 3 oilseal. Also, I had changed the water pump, and 2 bearings. The old tensioner is quite dirty (cause off engine oil leak from the pulley), so I decide to change a new tensioner too. After all things been fixed, I start my car and erased all the old fault code. Start the car again, and all the code was gone. I drive the car for whole day and the code doesn't shows anymore (even the A/F sensor). The whole total amount including labour charge was RM1099 (Ringgit Malaysia = Malaysia $$$) costly about US350. Now my car have no more trouble code! Yeah!

But, there was another problem here for me. THE FRONT AXLE WAS LEAKING!
I was thinking to Fix it next week, hope I will get a lower price for this trouble.
Anyone had AXLE leaking before or currently? please share with me about it and can it been fixed?

Thank ya!
Old 09-15-09, 12:44 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by outcast198
Thanks for giving me help in this topic.
I had changed the timing belt, the belt condition is ok but I found some problems out there. Having a sharing here for other fans.

The belt has been changed by my workshop, I was waiting and watching him to done the Job for me. It takes about 4 hours to done. After he taked out the old belt, I found that the belt is still in good condition. But the 3 pulley oilseal was leaked, so I changed 3 oilseal. Also, I had changed the water pump, and 2 bearings. The old tensioner is quite dirty (cause off engine oil leak from the pulley), so I decide to change a new tensioner too. After all things been fixed, I start my car and erased all the old fault code. Start the car again, and all the code was gone. I drive the car for whole day and the code doesn't shows anymore (even the A/F sensor). The whole total amount including labour charge was RM1099 (Ringgit Malaysia = Malaysia $$$) costly about US350. Now my car have no more trouble code! Yeah!

But, there was another problem here for me. THE FRONT AXLE WAS LEAKING!
I was thinking to Fix it next week, hope I will get a lower price for this trouble.
Anyone had AXLE leaking before or currently? please share with me about it and can it been fixed?

Thank ya!
Where on the axle, near the transmission or on the transfer case?
Old 01-23-11, 07:55 PM
mawbell3
Driver School Candidate

Default fuel ration sensors expensive???

why are these senosors so expensive and where is the best deal that anyone has found? thanks, Tracy Wilson
Old 10-06-11, 10:59 AM
TRINITEE43
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Need help with codes on a 99 rx300

I have a 99 rx300 and i took it to the place were i bought it and they put a crank sensor on it . I had it diagnosed at a shop and they sad it was codes po300,301,303,305 and p1345,46,and 49. The car lot said they were going to do it there way by first replacing the crank sensor, and drive it 60 miles,did that and the ck engine light came on. It is driving like i need a tune up . Can someone tell me what is wrong. The dealer is an *******, so i have to try and fix the junk he sold me. Help!
Trinitee43
ps_ it want pass inspection,and i am going to lose my job.
Old 10-06-11, 11:03 AM
TRINITEE43
Driver School Candidate

Any suggestions!
Old 10-06-11, 11:29 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITEE43
Any suggestions!
Search this forum for VVTi. For example:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-solution.html

Note Post #4.

Last edited by artbuc; 10-06-11 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-03-12, 02:32 PM
BearsLexus
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
When my a/f sensor really goes, I will change the other one at that time, but I may as an example to the forum monitor the sensors via a diagnostic program to show what is really going on numerically. It is possible for the offset between new/old sensors to cause an issue, but not a strong likelihood.

It's important to stick to the OEM Denso sensors, as we have had issues with people not using the sensors and running into issues. The Denso number is 234-9009.
LexMex, do you recommend replacing both sensors even if you're only getting a trouble code for one bank? I presently have a P1130 Bank 1 Sensor 1 code, and monetarily speaking, would rather just replace the faulty one. Your thoughts?

Anthony
Old 05-03-12, 03:16 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

If you got one code only then just replace that one only.

Originally Posted by BearsLexus
LexMex, do you recommend replacing both sensors even if you're only getting a trouble code for one bank? I presently have a P1130 Bank 1 Sensor 1 code, and monetarily speaking, would rather just replace the faulty one. Your thoughts?

Anthony
Old 05-04-12, 05:57 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I replace both, because I've seen it myself and found with others that the other one tends to go not to long after especially in cases involving the original from the factory sensors. However, in this difficult economy, I can completely understand getting one. The other thing why I would get the second sensor is the fact that one is new, one is old, but it is still the same engine and a deteriorated sensor can have issues perhaps not picked up by a CEL or a pending CEL. I always have told people that if you replace one, even if you do not see a CEL light pop up, hook an OBD2 scanner and see if you are getting any pending codes related to the sensor that was not replace (i.e., the older one).
Old 05-07-12, 01:50 PM
BearsLexus
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Great, thanks for the info, Lex... I'll be receiving the first sensor in the mail in the next few days or so. I'll replace that and then have the codes read again... If I could afforded it I would bought both at the same time, but I'll have to settle for one this week and the other in about a month... That shouldn't be too much for the RX to handle, I think! At least she's getting new parts!