RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Fault code on my 1999 Lexus RX300

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-09, 08:09 AM
outcast198
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Fault code on my 1999 Lexus RX300

Currently owning a 1999 RX300 and happy with owning it.
The car was bought by me at year 2005 and until now it is still in excellent condition.

Few days past, my Check Engine Light on and went to a workshop for a scanning, the result was as below.

P1130 - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P1133 - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Response Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P1150 - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

P1153 - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Response Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

P1346 - VVT Sensor Rang/Performance Problem (Bank 1)

the workshop told me that the P1346 VVT sensor might be my timing belt have loosen and should be replace a new Tensioner and Timing Belt, is it true?
and may I know where is the Air Fuel Sensor located for the above code? I didn't face a problem at my lovely Lexus before, and I hope Lexus fans here could give me a hand on this problems. Thanks a lot!

i love my Lexus, from owning, now and after!
Old 09-06-09, 08:35 AM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Other members will surely comment on the codes you are getting and interpret them.

Can you tell us how many miles you have on your current timing belt?

Has any work been done recently ... within a week before the CEL came on?

Salim
Old 09-06-09, 08:42 AM
outcast198
Driver School Candidate

I currently having a 112 miles on my RX300, as I know it is time for a changing of timing belt. Also recently I didn't done anythings before and the CEL light on since past few days. The CEL will goes off everytime after I turn off my vehicles and will be light on after a few second after the car start driving. The problems is I unable to located the Air Fuel sensor that listed above and I can't try replace it as well.
Old 09-06-09, 08:43 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by outcast198
Currently owning a 1999 RX300 and happy with owning it.
The car was bought by me at year 2005 and until now it is still in excellent condition.

Few days past, my Check Engine Light on and went to a workshop for a scanning, the result was as below.

P1130 - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P1133 - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Response Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P1150 - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

P1153 - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Response Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

P1346 - VVT Sensor Rang/Performance Problem (Bank 1)

the workshop told me that the P1346 VVT sensor might be my timing belt have loosen and should be replace a new Tensioner and Timing Belt, is it true?
and may I know where is the Air Fuel Sensor located for the above code? I didn't face a problem at my lovely Lexus before, and I hope Lexus fans here could give me a hand on this problems. Thanks a lot!

i love my Lexus, from owning, now and after!
Wow! First time I've heard of both A/F sensors failing at the same time. You may want to clear the codes by disconnecting the battery for 10-15 mins and get another opinion. Yes, P1346 could indicate a bad timing belt. How many miles on your TB? You may or may not need a new tensioner. It is easy to check once it ie removed from the vehicle. I've never heard of anyone needing a new tensioner. The hydraulic tensioners on our RX's are pretty durable. If you change the TB, I would suggest you replace the idler and tensioner pulleys, maybe WP too depending on the mileage.

Edit: Oops, I see you already said you have 112 (I assume you mean 112,000) miles. I am very surprised that you are having any TB issues at this low mileage and I would be very surprised if your tensioner is bad. I'll sit back and let the experts chime in but something is sounding a little fishy here.

Last edited by artbuc; 09-06-09 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-06-09, 08:54 AM
outcast198
Driver School Candidate

I delete all the OBD Fault code since that day when the CEL light on and it is back with these code again after I start driving my vehicles leaving the workshop.
Lexus fans, please give me a hand here. Thanks!
Old 09-07-09, 11:07 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Bank 1 Sensor 1 is this one behind the engine block.
Attached Thumbnails Fault code on my 1999 Lexus RX300-img_0833.jpg  
Old 09-07-09, 11:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Bank 2, Sensor 1 is this one on the front of the engine block.
Attached Thumbnails Fault code on my 1999 Lexus RX300-img_1594.jpg  
Old 09-07-09, 11:14 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

With regard to P1346, that is usually either a stretched belt, skipped a tooth or is missing a tooth.
Old 09-07-09, 11:32 AM
outcast198
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot Lemex, the photo that you post has clearly show out where the Sensor located. I will try to replaced it this weekend by myself. Thanks a lot!
I will post my feedback when I settled this code.
Old 09-07-09, 11:35 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Thanks a lot Lemex, the photo that you post has clearly show out where the Sensor located. I will try to replaced it this weekend by myself. Thanks a lot!
I will post my feedback when I settled this code.
If you have already have the sensors, then go ahead and change them. However, I'd have the timing belt changed out/examined first as that is usually the root cause of the two A/F sensors having a CEL
Old 09-08-09, 12:07 AM
outcast198
Driver School Candidate

Thanka Lexmex, I have repalced a new timing belt set today. The VVt Sensor CEL has go off and I deleted all the ODB codes.
But the A/F Sensor came on after 4 or 5 miles after I start driving my car just now.
May anyone know what is the A/F sensor part number for B1S1 and B2S1?
I think that maybe one of the sensor need a replacement but the workshop told me that usually should change one pair of it. Otherwise the second sensor will light on in future due to unbalanced reading from sensor. Is it true? Thanks!
Old 09-08-09, 12:41 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanka Lexmex, I have repalced a new timing belt set today. The VVt Sensor CEL has go off and I deleted all the ODB codes.
But the A/F Sensor came on after 4 or 5 miles after I start driving my car just now.
I think that maybe one of the sensor need a replacement but the workshop told me that usually should change one pair of it. Otherwise the second sensor will light on in future due to unbalanced reading from sensor. Is it true? Thanks!
The T/L # for the sensors (they're both the same) is currently 89467-48011. That is a US# for our standards though and since you are in Asia, there is a possibility the standards aren't as strict as here, so the # may be different. The # is etched (pin-point or laser) in the barrel of the sensor, a little hard to see, but it's there. If the # ends in 10 instead of 11, the 11 is the replacement for the original 10. I'll let Lexmex answer the rest of your question, since you asked him.
Old 09-08-09, 11:01 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Outcast, glad you are making progress. Please tell us about your old timing belt. Was it stretched and did it have missing teeth? Also, was your hydraulic tensioner ok? Did you replace the idler and tensioner pulleys? Thank-you for the information.

I replaced only one of my A/F sensors a couple years ago and have not had any problem. I would not replace both unless you need both. After you replaced timing belt, did you get codes for just one A/F sensor?
Old 09-08-09, 02:08 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

When my a/f sensor really goes, I will change the other one at that time, but I may as an example to the forum monitor the sensors via a diagnostic program to show what is really going on numerically. It is possible for the offset between new/old sensors to cause an issue, but not a strong likelihood.

It's important to stick to the OEM Denso sensors, as we have had issues with people not using the sensors and running into issues. The Denso number is 234-9009.
Old 09-09-09, 10:22 AM
supra_trd
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 weeks ago my check engine light and VSC light are on @ the same time. I brought it to Autozone pulled the code P1130 & P1150. I ordered both Denso sensors 234-9009 for 275 shipped. On Monday Sept, 7, when I re-fuel at Holiday gas station and started the car, the light cleared by itself. I went home and checked the gas receipt; it was re-fuel @ SA gas station so it might be a bad tank of gas.

Quick Reply: Fault code on my 1999 Lexus RX300