RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Shift Quadrant Indicator Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-09, 12:57 PM
georgie39
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Shift Quadrant Indicator Lighting

I have a 2002 RX 300 with 79.000 miles on it.
I am the second owner. I bought the car from a dealer in Ohio and I live in Montana.
Prior to my purchasing the car the dealer replaced the "D" indicator bulb in the shift quadrant indicator. (not the indicator in the instrument cluster) All other dash lights, the multifunction display, the sound system, and the HVAC system lights illuminate as normal.
None of the lights in the shift quadrant indicator will illuminate when the ignition is on and the engine is running whether the headlights are on or not.
Do any forum members have any suggestions as to what to look for to correct the problem or am I just not aware of when these lights should or should not be illuminated?
Any help or suggestions from forum member would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Old 09-07-09, 03:51 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is only one bulb in the area you are talking about which lights all the indicators. It should be on when the lights are on. Are you sure the dealer changed the bulb in this area and not the dash. Did you ever see this area illuminate? I bet it is the bulb. Check here and follow the links for complete directions and pics:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...placement.html
Old 09-08-09, 07:25 AM
georgie39
Rookie

mikey00
Thanks for your response
Your right, I was mistaken.
The bulb I am talking about is the one in the center console that illuminates the gear shift quadrant
I understand from your post that I just need to remove the trim piece in that area of the console to gain access to the bulb.
Did you use any special tool to get the trim piece to pop off without damage?
I plan on just using a putty knife to pry gently around the edges and hopefully that will get the trim to come off without damage to the trim or the surrounding area.
I understand the bulb is easy to access once the trim piece is off.
I will pick up the Sylvania type 2721 bulb and have it ready for the change out.
Old 09-08-09, 07:42 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure if a putty knife will work. I used a small hook type tool that I have. You can easily make one from a wire coat hanger. Make a hook at the end by putting a 90 degree + bend about 1/4" from the end. You want to remove the trim piece from the top. But there is not enough clearance at the very top to fit the coat hanger in. The hanger should fit in on either side near the top. Then just twist it so the hook will catch the trim piece and pull straight out.
Old 09-08-09, 08:11 AM
georgie39
Rookie

mikey00
Thanks for the tip
I will make the tool you described out of a wire coat hanger
Apparently you must hook around in back of the trim piece and pull out to get it to release from the surround. I guess that's why prying from the front with a putty knife probably won't work too well.
Thanks again for your response.
Old 09-08-09, 09:52 AM
georgie39
Rookie

mikey00
I made the tool you suggested.
I was able to remove the "U" shaped wood toned surround on the cluster.
That gave me access to the shift quadrant trim.
I removed the trim and pulled out the quadrant light.
I turned on the ignition and the headlights..the quadrant light did not light up.
I pulled out the light bulb (its a tiny little thing isn't it) and took the green sleeve off , reinstalled the light bulb, wiggled it around in the socket and the light lit up. I put the green sleeve back on and made sure the bulb was firmly in the socket and reinstalled all the trim.
It looks like the problem is fixed. Maybe the bulb had just come loose in the socket over a period of time.
I am going to buy several replacement bulbs and have them on hand anyway in case the problem develops again.
Thanks again for your help. You saved me a trip to the dealer and the cost of having them replace the bulb.