RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Oil strainer and filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-09, 12:46 AM
galletgun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya thomas you are probably right. I read that the paper one is not as good as the metal one and that the metal one is reusable if washed with water. Wouldnt it be better to just reuse the metal strainer/filter rather than putting in a new one that has a paper filter? Would save like 50-60 dollars if it isnt necessary to buy a new one.
Old 09-12-09, 01:58 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas1
What I have found is the dealership remember the metal strainer and assume (yep) theirs are still the same. Both Toyota and Lexus thought the same in my dealerships and what they got was a paper medium replacement. By the Way that is what is in my car, and it works....
G'Day Thomas- Do you have any idea why they would say to wash it with WATER? It is steel (the metal housing anyway). Seems to me it would be better to wash it with solvent.
Old 09-12-09, 08:04 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

I would never use water, Mineral spirits is my choice, as that is what they recommend to clean a tranny when diy tranny rebuild. So buy some mineral spirits (paint department) and wash and dry, and re install.
Old 09-12-09, 09:59 AM
frankjames
Driver

Originally Posted by galletgun
Finally got a chance to call Colonial Toyota Parts. They are selling the toyota transmission pan gasket (toyota part# 35168-21010) for 8 dollars plus 1 dollar for shipping. The also carry the oil strainer and filter (#35330-06010), but it has to be special ordered since they don't have it in stock. It came out to be 33 dollars plus 10 dollars for shipping. This is the same oil strainer and filter that goes in the Toyota Highlander and it has the metal screen filter not paper.

At the my local lexus dealership it is 15 dollars for the oil pan gasket and 55 dollars for the oil strainer and filter(special order and it contains a metal filter). However, the guy in the parts department told me they dont have the oil strainer/filter in stock b/c it does not need to be replaced just cleaned with water. They do special order it if the customer wants a replacement.
**Note: I called two toyota dealerships to find out how much those parts cost and it came out to the same price for both. So not everything can be acquired from a toyota dealership for a cheaper price.

Finally, for both parts its about 60 dollars if I order from Colonial and 70ish dollars if bought them from a lexus/toyota dealership. For me, it think its better to just drive a few miles to the nearest lexus/toyota dealership and get both parts for ~10 dollars more than having to wait almost a week for shipping to get the parts cheaper from Colonial for ~10 dollars less. Also, if I have any problems with the parts I can just take it back to the dealership rather than having to deal with all the hassle of shipping the parts back to Colonial in Rhode Island.

The representative at Colonial was very knowledgeable and professional and I LOVED his rhode island accent. LOL In my current situation the dealership is a better alternative but in the future I will definitely use Colonial for my parts. I hope this serves as valuable information for some people.
If its $9-gasket shipped+$43-oil strainer shipped, you would actually be saving $18.00 but whatever makes u happy LOL Have received super fast shipping in the past. Ordered parts a few times and got exactly what I needed. I'm cheap so $18savings on that amount is a good percentage of savings. You are right the accent kills me!

Last edited by frankjames; 09-12-09 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-13-09, 01:21 AM
trips1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya thomas you are probably right. I read that the paper one is not as good as the metal one and that the metal one is reusable if washed with water. Wouldnt it be better to just reuse the metal strainer/filter rather than putting in a new one that has a paper filter? Would save like 50-60 dollars if it isnt necessary to buy a new one.
On similar lines I am curious what is the importance of changing the whole strainer/filter?? Why not only change the gasket?
From the DIY instructions and looking at the pictures of the pan it looks that it can be easily washed with any good solvent.
Also i remember reading in the DIY about different shape of the now available pan than the one that comes installed. So do we get gasket of the old original shaped pan?
Old 09-13-09, 12:20 PM
galletgun
Driver School Candidate

From what I read in the DIY, your not supposed to replace the pan that drops down when you remove the 18'ish bolts. You are supposed to wipe clean the magnets on it and the pan itself with shop towels. Since you are reusing the factory pan your replacement gasket is the same shape. Is that what you are talking about trips?
Old 09-13-09, 03:58 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

You just have to make sure to get the Gasket for the AWD or FWD tranny depending on your vehicle. Cant remember if they are different shaped....Just checked online, the Gasket is the Same on AWD or FWD for the tranny pan....

Last edited by thomas1; 09-13-09 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-13-09, 04:37 PM
trips1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I read in the DIY, your not supposed to replace the pan that drops down when you remove the 18'ish bolts. You are supposed to wipe clean the magnets on it and the pan itself with shop towels. Since you are reusing the factory pan your replacement gasket is the same shape. Is that what you are talking about trips?
I guess i got confused between the oil strainer and the pan. After reading step #8 at the below link i find that the oil strainer is the one i was referring to and it is different from the original.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...er-change.html

So my question is can we reuse the oil strainer especially if i find that it has the metal filter? And i guess if it has the paper filter then essentially it should be replaced.
Thanks again
Old 09-13-09, 09:28 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

You are correct, clean the metal strainer, and replace the paper medium filter....
Old 09-13-09, 10:38 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The tranny filter is enclosed with a metal shell with only one opening to each side of the screen, to wash it you can spray brake cleaner and wash as much debris as possible through the opening. In another word, one can never sure all the stuff are hosed away so most people decide to replace it with a new filter.
Old 09-13-09, 11:29 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
The tranny filter is enclosed with a metal shell with only one opening to each side of the screen, to wash it you can spray brake cleaner and wash as much debris as possible through the opening. In another word, one can never sure all the stuff are hosed away so most people decide to replace it with a new filter.
Tuned- I hope you don't have a lot of debris in the screen or you're in trouble anyway.
Old 09-14-09, 10:19 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Aftering spraying with a good dosage of brake cleaner, the original metal filter is pretty clean. Durign the DIY, I bought the paper filter already so I decided to change it. I kept the metal one in case I want to put it back in the future.
Old 09-15-09, 02:41 AM
galletgun
Driver School Candidate

I went ahead and returned the oil strainer with the paper filter back to the dealership. I bought some mineral spirit from home depot to clean out my existing strainer with the metal filter. Do I just pour the mineral spirit into the strainer via the one opening and shake it up real good and then drain it? Maybe do that 3 times? How would I know if its clean..
Old 09-15-09, 02:36 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

look thru the hole at the screen, should be nice and clear of debris....
Old 09-15-09, 04:40 PM
galletgun
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Thomas, I will do that.