RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rebuilt engine/sensor questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-09, 08:47 PM
frankjames
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt engine/sensor questions

I had the my engine rebuilt and am getting ready for final install. I ordered new knock sensors and was wondering if I should invest the money to replace other sensors like camshaft or crank sensor. This is a 01 RX with 87k, I just really don't want to have any more issues after I put it back together. Am I okay just testing and reusing old sensors or which ones should I consider installing new?

I have replaced about everything else you can think of with new parts, thermostat, knock sensors and the knock sensor wire harness, oil pick up......drained all trans fluid for full replacement along with trans filter and gasket, drained all transfer case fluid to replace with new, I figure if I have it tore down this far I don't want to have to take this engine out/or tear down for any reason ever again!!
Old 09-09-09, 09:46 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Take a close look at the front transmission seal where the torque converter slides in. We didnt and my nieghbors highlander now has a leak on that seal. We were there, but assumed it would be good, but removing the torque converter and re inserting it gave us a leak, which we found after replacing the engine....Also did you replace the water hose on top of the intake manifold, the one near the knock sensors. You are there and is a opportune time to do so. good luck... as for the crank sensor etc, they are probably fine.
Old 09-10-09, 12:42 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas1
Take a close look at the front transmission seal where the torque converter slides in. We didnt and my nieghbors highlander now has a leak on that seal. We were there, but assumed it would be good, but removing the torque converter and re inserting it gave us a leak, which we found after replacing the engine....Also did you replace the water hose on top of the intake manifold, the one near the knock sensors. You are there and is a opportune time to do so. good luck... as for the crank sensor etc, they are probably fine.
What a shame Thomas, that you didn't replace the front convertor seal. Especially since it's only a few bucks. When I ordered the rear crank seal, the parts guy suggested the convertor seal, and although it wasn't leaking, I really appreciated him mentioning it, as I wouldn't probably have thought of it otherwise. It was a pretty intense time.
Old 09-10-09, 08:22 AM
frankjames
Driver

Yep, did the front trans seal, thought of that because I definately do not want trans issue right after major engine overhaul. I did the hose too, I believe they call it a coolant bypass hose. Thanks to some advice after I posted in the "knock sensor" thread. Anything anyone else can think to check/replace?
Old 09-10-09, 08:43 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

What is a shame is that I mentioned to my neighbor the seal, and we didnt do it. Stroke of you talk about it and it went bad. I share the blame with my neigbor. Oh well, life goes on.
Old 09-10-09, 09:01 AM
frankjames
Driver

What is a shame is that I mentioned to my neighbor the seal, and we didnt do it. Stroke of you talk about it and it went bad. I share the blame with my neigbor. Oh well, life goes on.
Well, it is what it is. I've been there before, usually trying to save a few bucks and time. It almost always costs you more of both LOL. What are your plans with it now? Leave it or pull engine again?
Old 09-10-09, 10:26 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

87K and rebuilt already? What happened?
Old 09-10-09, 10:35 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I think he had a sludge problem,and threw a rod or something. (if I remember correctly) maybe it was a spun bearing,something to that affect.
Old 09-10-09, 11:31 AM
frankjames
Driver

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Owned vehice 2200 miles. Sludge clogged oil pick up and starved engine for oil. Also upon rebuild found abnormal cylinder wear, probable cause major electrical problems. It appears to be knock sensors or ECU. The electrical problem is what probably caused the sludge in the first place because the engine was running at a higher temp than it should be. The engine was taken to diagnostic and the ignition was firing too often. Upon further research, getting service records from Lexus the vehicle was taken to Lexus @ 56k for overheating. They tested and couldn't find a problem so this was probably happening for awhile.......lame.

Last edited by frankjames; 09-10-09 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-10-09, 11:36 AM
frankjames
Driver

Originally Posted by lexus114
I think he had a sludge problem,and threw a rod or something. (if I remember correctly) maybe it was a spun bearing,something to that affect.
Good memory threw a rod......