RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

auto-dimming working?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-02 | 06:51 AM
jmalik1
Driver School Candidate

In my opinion, the tint in the rear view mirror appears more pronounced because of the tinted window on the hatch back.

Side mirrors dim and dim well, just drive a vehicle that doesn't have this feature and you'll start to notice and appreciate the electrochromatic properties of these mirrors.

My 2 cents.
Old 04-23-02 | 12:58 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

interesting... last week i noticed that on my rx, the driver side mirror was yellow, while the passenger side was blue?!?1???! wtf is that hahha

so i knew something was wrong, its either suppose to be both blue or both yellow. So i tried messing with the dimming switch and no luck, it just works as normal but the mirrors were different colors. I thought the passenger side which was blue was stuck in its dimming mode lol... but yea

I brought my car into dealer last week and told them about this and the service guy said that is strange. He told me that the blue ones are older while the yellow ones are the new mirrors. So they had to order some mirrors and then they replaced the blue one with the orginal yellow one. Pretty wack but yea.

As for the dimming, i agree that when inside rear view mirror dims really quick and noticable. I'm going to mess around with it and see if the 2 sides dim which they are suppose to lol. I didn't really took notice of it after i switced to both yellow mirrors but i'll see =)
Old 04-23-02 | 03:55 PM
parula
Instructor

All of my mirrors dim, but, of course not as much or little as I would like under variable driving conditions!

There is a little hole behind your rear view mirror where the light sensor is located. Go into a lighted site and place a finger over the hole and the mirrors will dim over a few minutes. I keep a bit of similar colored paper to the mirror framing material in the hole to keep the mirror slightly darker than it is designed to be under given light conditions. IMO it is set to sensitive to light and should darken more readily.

IWBN (it would be nice) if LEXUS installed a control somewhere to allow owners to adapt the mirror to individual eye needs, and preferences. Just as every car has for the dash control lighting.

I have mentioned this to LEXUS but let's hope they monitor this board too.

rc
Old 04-26-02 | 01:35 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Input

The mirror's electrochromic effect is affected greatly by temperature. The colder the mirror surface is, the longer it will take to go to the "dimming" state, and the less effective it will be in that state.

Dimming. Becuase of the use of the electrochromic effect all three rearview mirrors are more "color" filters than actual "dimming".

The effect you get from this is less glare becuase the color rendition in dimming mode filters out the color range/spectra our eyes are most sensitive to.

Same as using a color filter for your camera in really bright sunlight, everything is still well lit, but the camera. or your eyes, still see all of the detail.