RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

auto-dimming working?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-02, 08:45 PM
satxrx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto-dimming working?

My '99 RX has the auto-dimming rearview and side mirrors. However, because I bought it used, I'm not sure how much the side mirrors are supposed to dim in relation to the rearview mirror. I know the rearview mirror works but I'm not sure about the side mirrors. Can any tell me how much the side mirrors are supposed to dim? Do they dim the same amount as the rearview mirror? Can the dimming "wear out"?
Old 04-20-02, 08:50 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

The side mirrors are supposed to dim with the inside rearview. I've always wondered whether or not mine were working too - if it dims, it seems very subtle. Although, I've never had a problem with glare. I can, however, tell that my inside rearview dims very nicely.

-nick
Old 04-20-02, 10:05 PM
Kantrax
Driver School Candidate

I believe it dims as much as the inside mirror as that would make sense. However, I have also wondered how much it dims. I think the fact that it's outside and sometimes dirtier than the inside mirror, that this affects how we perceive the dimness. Over time, and by constantly comparing the brightness of the rear cars headlights in all mirrors, I have come to the conclusion that it dims the same as the inside mirror.
Old 04-21-02, 08:39 AM
satxrx
Driver

Thanks guys for the responses. Yeah, my inside mirror works great. But my perception is that the outside mirrors don't seem to dim quite as dark as the inside one. I guess there's really no way to tell except be in another RX with the auto dimmers at night. hmmmm....
Old 04-21-02, 09:03 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

You can turn off the inside rearview mirror by pressing the button on the mirror. Doesn't that turn off the outside mirrors as well? That will help you see the difference - grab a flashligh and try this at night.
Old 04-21-02, 10:16 AM
Goncookoo

REALLY! the side mirrors dim!!!!???

i was always under the impression that '99 Rx's didnt have this option. When I bought my '99 RX I asked about this option and they only said that the inside rear view mirror dims.

It wasnt till like '01 (i think dont quote me) that they added the side mirror dimming option. Im pretty sure this is the case cause every so often id go back to the RX website to see what new options they got for each new release of the car.

if it turns out that the side mirrors are supposed to dim too, then god damn, mine are broken too!

goncookoo
Old 04-21-02, 01:08 PM
satxrx
Driver

Originally posted by LexRX
You can turn off the inside rearview mirror by pressing the button on the mirror. Doesn't that turn off the outside mirrors as well? That will help you see the difference - grab a flashligh and try this at night.
That's a good suggestion. I'll try it tonight to see if there's a difference on the outside mirrors.
Old 04-21-02, 01:15 PM
satxrx
Driver

Originally posted by Goncookoo
REALLY! the side mirrors dim!!!!???

i was always under the impression that '99 Rx's didnt have this option. When I bought my '99 RX I asked about this option and they only said that the inside rear view mirror dims.

It wasnt till like '01 (i think dont quote me) that they added the side mirror dimming option. Im pretty sure this is the case cause every so often id go back to the RX website to see what new options they got for each new release of the car.

if it turns out that the side mirrors are supposed to dim too, then god damn, mine are broken too!

goncookoo
At the Lexus website in the model library, I looked under the '99 RX model year and it stated under the:

AVAILABLE OPTIONS
Premium Package

* Leather interior trim
* Lexus Memory System for driver's seat (except lumbar)
* Electrochromic rearview mirrors
* Three-way programmable transmitter to activate garage door, driveway gate

As you can see, it says rearview mirrors, so I'm concluding that means all three.
Old 04-21-02, 02:47 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I checked in the "Lexus Model Library." For the 2000 RX it states

"Electrochromic (auto-dimming) inside and outside mirrors " as part of the premium package. Not quite the same wording as you posted for the '99. Then again, look under the '01 and '02. They aren't exactly the same either. The '01 description leads me to believe they do dim and the '02 description doesn't.

So, basically, some of the descriptions are vague. I know mine should has it, I remember seeing it on the sticker.
Old 04-21-02, 02:54 PM
maxlex
Driver School Candidate

If your side mirrors auto-dim they should have almost a blueish tint at night. Its a different color from the rear-view which dims kinda yellowish.
Old 04-21-02, 03:40 PM
Goncookoo

rear view mirrors???? hummm... bad wording... yea leads you to believe that all 3 do.

i know for sure mine doesnt dim.

the inside one dims greenish colored and the side mirrors are just regular ol' mirrors. ive checked on my firends '99 and his is the same too. no dimming outside.

im going to go in to get my RX's 30k checkup this weekend. ill ask the service guy if he knows the answer (im not banking on getting a good/positive answer... the people that work saturdays dont seem to know much....) but ill try anyway.

goncookoo
Old 04-21-02, 03:49 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

maxlex, that sounds right. Mine do have a blueish tint - works great at night, very clear.
Old 04-21-02, 11:46 PM
satxrx
Driver

Originally posted by Goncookoo
rear view mirrors???? hummm... bad wording... yea leads you to believe that all 3 do.

i know for sure mine doesnt dim.

the inside one dims greenish colored and the side mirrors are just regular ol' mirrors. ive checked on my firends '99 and his is the same too. no dimming outside.

im going to go in to get my RX's 30k checkup this weekend. ill ask the service guy if he knows the answer (im not banking on getting a good/positive answer... the people that work saturdays dont seem to know much....) but ill try anyway.

goncookoo
Okay, just to confirm the '99s had what is stated in a Lexus RX 300 1999-00 Parts manual as "Mirror Assembly, Rear View" - they have two different parts. One with "Auto Glare Control" priced at $424.90. The one w/o "Auto Glare Control" is priced $222.69. And the picture shows what appears to be the side view mirrors... I totally forgot I bought the parts sheet off eBay, but now I'm glad I did.
Old 04-21-02, 11:51 PM
satxrx
Driver

Originally posted by maxlex
If your side mirrors auto-dim they should have almost a blueish tint at night. Its a different color from the rear-view which dims kinda yellowish.
Thanks for the post, maxlex! That's exactly what I'm seeing - the two different colors (yellowish on the rearview and blue-ish on the sides) which led me to think the side mirrors weren't working properly.

But now I'm wondering from everyone's experience, how much do the sides "dim" because the rear view one's seems to "dim" much more than the sides. Is that everyone else's experience?

Thanks again guys for responding!
Old 04-22-02, 03:28 AM
maxlex
Driver School Candidate

No prob satxrx,

As far as my experience with the amount of tint, I think its just about right. Personally, I can live with a little glare as long as the clarity is there. This is the first vehicle I've owed with auto-dim mirrors so I'm used to being blinded anyways.

If you don't think the side mirrors tint enough, then you can always get the front windows tinted and that should help. I just had my windows done and it definitely lessened the amount of reflected light. Only problem is now, I get more reflections of the interior on the side mirrors. Thats the cost of mirrored tint I guess.

Later on...

Quick Reply: auto-dimming working?