RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Ignition Coils

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-09, 08:02 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Ignition Coils

Seems like these have high failure rates and I am considering replacing the rear bank as a precaution when I do the plugs. Looks like I can get factory ones for $78 plus shipping. Aftermarket (Prenco seems like the most common supplier) are only about $11 per cheaper. It takes alot of convincing for me to use anything other than factory, especially when it comes to electrical stuff.

For all of you who have already replaced coils, did you go with factory or aftermarket?
Old 09-20-09, 10:10 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

Not sure you really need to replace them all from a preventative standpoint. I had one go out at about 100,000. Now at 130,000 with no more problems.
Old 09-20-09, 10:14 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I replaced mine with factory. You might remember the story, but I was in Mexico and having no Lexus, I had to use one made for a Camry, sand it down, and then it fit and worked, until I could get the RX replacement from the U.S. I haven't had issues othewise and the only reason my one coil failed in the first place was because I over did the cleaning agent when I was cleaning the intake manifold (thankfully no other ones blew).
Old 09-20-09, 11:49 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Not sure you really need to replace them all from a preventative standpoint. I had one go out at about 100,000. Now at 130,000 with no more problems.
Just want to minimize chance of my wife getting stranded and I only want to mess with the rear plugs/coils one time.
Old 09-20-09, 03:46 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
Just want to minimize chance of my wife getting stranded and I only want to mess with the rear plugs/coils one time.
I keep an OEM coil and also that modified one for the Camry with me at all times. I always worried about being stranded out in Mexico.
Old 09-20-09, 05:04 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Art- I respect you for considering your wife, that's very thoughtful of you. If money is not an issue, it's probably worth it for the peace of mind. I wouldn't replace them because you think they will go out and leave her stranded, not unless she takes long trips alone. Even if one went out she can still drive for a long time without a problem. My DIL's has 135k mi. on it now and runs great without ever having replaced any. Peace of mind definitely has value. I have always tended to err on the side of conservatism, changing things before they ever needed it, but now that I don't travel as far from home as often, I've backed off a LITTLE from that. I still believe in keeping the vehicles in tip-top shape though.
Old 09-20-09, 10:37 PM
salimshah

Received 1,082 Likes on 974 Posts

Also keep in mind that with v6, you can hobble around without 1 cylinder.

The access to the rear three is not super easy, but it is not too bad

Salim
Old 09-21-09, 07:31 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Also keep in mind that with v6, you can hobble around without 1 cylinder.

The access to the rear three is not super easy, but it is not too bad

Salim
yeah but the catalytic converters wont like it too much.It will cause overheating conditions due to the unburned fuel in that cylinder.In conclusion: "I would not recommend driving the vehicle in that condition"
Old 09-21-09, 05:32 PM
Bobk528
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 RX300 and one Sunday morning while driving on the expressway, the vehicle lost power and the Check Engine light went on. Luckily, I was close to my house, slowly drove back home, connected the OBD reader, and determined that ignition coil no. 2 needed replacement.

Since I live close to a Toyota dealer that is open seven days a week, I was able to purchase a new coil for $107.77 and was back running in less than a hour. The RX had 88,000 miles at that time and it currently has over 105,000 miles.

I was thinking of replacing the other coils because of the same concern but the experts on this forum convinced me that it was unnecessary. I did however apply a light coat of dielectric spark plug boot grease to prevent arcing.
Old 09-21-09, 08:56 PM
zzorro
Driver School Candidate

I had the same concerns about the coils when I had purchased the 1999 rx a little over a year ago. So I went ahead and replaced all the rear plugs coils since they would be the hardest to get to when you are stuck on the side of the road. Using the old coils as a spare kept in the vehicle.
Old 09-22-09, 03:31 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by zzorro
I had the same concerns about the coils when I had purchased the 1999 rx a little over a year ago. So I went ahead and replaced all the rear plugs coils since they would be the hardest to get to when you are stuck on the side of the road. Using the old coils as a spare kept in the vehicle.
Thanks for the info. Please tell us how many miles you had on your rx when you replaced the coils. Also, did you change plugs at the same time ("plugs coils" = plugs and coils?) What did the original plugs look like? Did you use aftermarket coils? Thanks.
Old 09-22-09, 05:57 PM
zzorro
Driver School Candidate

At about 100,000 miles replaced all 6 with plugs and 3 rear coils at the same time.Plugs are NGK IX iridium about $7.00 each. 3 OEM (denso) coils were about 80 each with shipping. I remember one of the plugs had a little bit more carbon deposit than the others.Other that that the rest of the plugs looked normal. Also 3 months and about 4000 miles later coil 2 ( front passenger side) went bad.
Old 09-23-09, 10:30 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My first pack went at around 97K, then second one failed 110K or so, and recently (124K) a third one failed. All three luckily failed when I was close to home or close to a Lexus dealership so I dropped the vehicles off. This time with the third failure, I told them that since they're in there, just replace the remaining three because I don't want us getting stuck while were 1/2 way through a vacation or something.

As the same visit, they "recommended" I replace the plugs too since they were "in there" and I agreed... what a turkey I am...
Old 09-23-09, 10:56 AM
salimshah

Received 1,082 Likes on 974 Posts

I generally prefer to rent a vehicle for long trips/vacation. During one road trip, after an early morning accident we got an identical replacement vehicle before the kids woke up.

There are just so many things that can potentially leave you stranded ... ignition coil(s) is just one.

Salim
Old 09-24-09, 04:42 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rental

Originally Posted by salimshah
I generally prefer to rent a vehicle for long trips/vacation. During one road trip, after an early morning accident we got an identical replacement vehicle before the kids woke up.

There are just so many things that can potentially leave you stranded ... ignition coil(s) is just one.

Salim
We'd rather take our LS (did that for Disney back in Nov.08) instead...

Rentals are fine for short trips, but they're usually the base junky cars and half the time I find with such low miles, they usually are off balance or alignment from users abusing them.

Hey, as backup, just make sure your GPS has all the Lexus dealers along your route and make sure you don't break down during off hours.

Quick Reply: Ignition Coils