RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Taking fuse out to reset CEL

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-09 | 04:13 AM
UNOHOO

one option is if you do some research on them is you can get cables that will connect obdII to usb or serial port on a laptop, there are TONS of programs out there that can do some amazing things that are not even close to possible on a handheld scanner. I just recently got one for twenty some dollars, unfortunately i didnt do enough research and am having some issues getting it to work, tomorrow when i go to a lexus IS 300 meet im gonna get the guys there to help me figure the damn thing out, nonetheless my point is there are lots of options to pursue
Old 10-02-09 | 04:48 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
one option is if you do some research on them is you can get cables that will connect obdII to usb or serial port on a laptop, there are TONS of programs out there that can do some amazing things that are not even close to possible on a handheld scanner. I just recently got one for twenty some dollars, unfortunately i didnt do enough research and am having some issues getting it to work, tomorrow when i go to a lexus IS 300 meet im gonna get the guys there to help me figure the damn thing out, nonetheless my point is there are lots of options to pursue
Is that one of those on ebay out of Hong Kong? I might be getting one of those very soon and I may try to get it to work. I know some people who have.

I am looking at other options like Digimoto though that runs about $125 or so.
Old 10-02-09 | 05:41 AM
bob2200
Driver

Originally Posted by toolbox123
Any inexpensive ODB tool that is worth to get?
Check out the one that Costco is selling for under $40. I bought one, it works, but I don't have the specifications handy.
Old 10-02-09 | 06:46 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Is that one of those on ebay out of Hong Kong? I might be getting one of those very soon and I may try to get it to work. I know some people who have.

I am looking at other options like Digimoto though that runs about $125 or so.
yea thats it! i cant get it to work, granted i didnt spend too much time on it but i couldnt get the program to connect to the car through it, tried all kinds of crazy stuff, 4 or 5 different programs, reinstalling the drivers, etc etc

im getting together with a bunch of lexus is 300 owners tomorrow to do a scenic drive and they said theyll see if they can help me get it goin, if we do get it goin ill hit you up with my findings
Old 10-02-09 | 10:10 AM
toolbox123
Driver School Candidate

Can you share the item # you bought from ebay? I found one that is about $40 but nothing under $30 (from a Hong Kong seller).
Thanks.

Last edited by toolbox123; 10-02-09 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-02-09 | 10:25 AM
UNOHOO

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUTO-...d=p3911.c0.m14

like i said though i havent gotten it to work yet so dont take my word on sayin its a good product as i cant even get it to work
Old 10-02-09 | 11:48 AM
toolbox123
Driver School Candidate

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUTO-...d=p3911.c0.m14

like i said though i havent gotten it to work yet so dont take my word on sayin its a good product as i cant even get it to work
Thanks, will wait to hear how your work out. I went to my local Costco and they don't carry any ODB scanner.
Old 10-05-09 | 05:19 AM
UNOHOO

well, still couldnt get it to work, the one guy that was helpin me with it says that it may only support CAN protocol and our are ISO so that may be the issue, WHAOMP WHAOMP WAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Old 10-05-09 | 04:23 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by toolbox123
Thanks, will wait to hear how your work out. I went to my local Costco and they don't carry any ODB scanner.
Call Costco and give them the SKU # and maybe they will come up with it or tell you which Costco has stock. The SKU is located in this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...er-costco.html
Old 10-14-09 | 11:07 AM
toolbox123
Driver School Candidate

Took the sensor I bought from Amazon to my repair shop. Before they replace the sensor, they did another scan. In addition to P0125 and P1135, I also have P0300 (misfire) and P0171 (bank 1 too lean). The misfire is pretty obvious the last few days. Anyway, they replace the sensor and reset all the codes. The engine is running smoothly once again and no misfire. Hope the CEL don't come on for a while.

Thank you everyone for your helps!

UPDATE: My local Costco got a whole bunch of the ODB II scanner (sku # 275265) in. At $34.99, it is the lowest priced scanner I can find that supports both ODB II and CAN protocol.

Last edited by toolbox123; 10-14-09 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-25-09 | 05:02 AM
beachlover
Driver School Candidate

Default For those reading.....

How come no one mentions that pulling the fuse on the ECM does NOT work.....only disconnecting the battery will reset the ECM....so if it stays on after battery disconnect, you still have the problem....
Old 10-25-09 | 09:45 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

You can pull the EFI fuse, disconnect the battery, or reset with a code reader. I prefer the battery method because it also resets the parameters that the RX remebers about your driving habits.
Old 10-26-09 | 06:45 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikey00
You can pull the EFI fuse, disconnect the battery, or reset with a code reader. I prefer the battery method because it also resets the parameters that the RX remebers about your driving habits.
so does a scanner reset.
Old 10-26-09 | 06:58 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexus114
so does a scanner reset.
A code reader is a scanner.
Old 10-26-09 | 07:06 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

their two different entities.A code reader is just that,it reads codes and erases them (if their is a code in the system) A scanner (like I have) tells me emission ready,whts going on with sensors,engine temp,fuel trim etc.And is capable of resetting the ecm regardless if their is a code in the system or not.It is also the most efficient/safest way to erase codes.

Quick Reply: Taking fuse out to reset CEL