RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

How to Correct Camber on Front End?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-09, 04:27 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Correct Camber on Front End?

Hey Folks,
I could use some advise...

I have changed out my struts and mounts on the front and rear end with KYB parts. Everything went well but will need some front end alignment, pulling to the right at times and sometimes not pulling at times. sometimes it tracks very good on different road surfaces.

I would like to know if there is adjustment for camber? I am wearing the inside of one of my tires on the left driver side. I didn't know if a regular front end alignment would correct it or would I have to change out some other parts that may be worn to correct. It has alot of miles 220,000 plus..

my suspension is stock, no lowering..

thanks for your reply..

jon

Last edited by hcfarm; 10-03-09 at 07:19 PM. Reason: clarification of stock condition for suspension
Old 10-04-09, 06:51 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

No standard camber or caster adjusting on the RX. You can get special aftermarket strut mounts that allow a small amount of adjustment. I'd take it to an alignment shop first to find out what the problem is. Have you looked for other damaged/bent/worn suspension components?
Old 10-04-09, 09:55 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

Yes you can adjust camber with the bottom end of the strut. There is slack when the bolts are loosened. I think they have offset bolts for the bottom end of the strut too.
Old 10-04-09, 11:53 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Camber adjustment

Originally Posted by carguy07
Yes you can adjust camber with the bottom end of the strut. There is slack when the bolts are loosened. I think they have offset bolts for the bottom end of the strut too.
Carguy- Don't know what happened to the other posts on this thread but somehow disappeared. Have you ever had the front struts off of an early RX? I have had 1 off of my Dil's RX and there was NO adjustment at all, in spite of the fact the manual says there is a small amount. Those huge bolts fit precisely through the holes. Just curious what your experience has been.
Old 10-05-09, 09:49 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

No, I have not personally had a strut off of the RX so I'm not sure about the slack thing. The factory manual says it's there, but I did not see it myself. I have had a Camry apart and the eccentric bolts were already in there. I think the suspension is basically the same stuff.

In post #6 it looks like someone got some slack, but I think eccentric bolts are needed to make any real changes.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ujustment.html
Old 10-05-09, 10:39 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy07
No, I have not personally had a strut off of the RX so I'm not sure about the slack thing. The factory manual says it's there, but I did not see it myself. I have had a Camry apart and the eccentric bolts were already in there. I think the suspension is basically the same stuff.

In post #6 it looks like someone got some slack, but I think eccentric bolts are needed to make any real changes.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ujustment.html
That's an interesting thread. I still say there was NO adjustment on my DIL's '99 RX. The bolts fit through the holes like a glove. I have even done Carolla's that had the slotted lower hole for camber adjustment. Don't remember ever doing a Camry. I should check my wife's Camry and see if it has slotted holes. It may because they used the ES 300 floor pan and suspension when they came out with the new Camry in '02. On the rare occasion when I did need a little camber adjustment and the was none provided, I would set the camber to specs with the bottom bolt removed and tighten the top bolt real tight, it used a die grinder and "Hole Hogger" to slot the hole just enough to get the bolt back in. It actually takes very little and I have never had them slip with adequate torque on the bolts.