RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Any DIY Timing Belt Change Info?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-09, 05:52 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Any DIY Timing Belt Change Info?

Folks,

I need some step by step info on how to change the timing belt on my 1999 RX300 (110, miles). I did a forum search and found lots of information on dealer costs, but nothing on doing it yourself.

P.S. Where's the spell check button on this site?

Kind regards,

JS...In Paradise
Old 10-07-09, 05:55 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't say that this is something for your 'typical' DIYer so you probably won't find a DIY on this.
Old 10-07-09, 06:33 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Cool Yep...no nibbles so far. But, I just dropped my line in..

TWong,

You might be right....but then again...? I'll just have to wait awhile and see if anybody bites. Sorta like fishing. Life's a box of chocolates.

JS...In Paradise
Old 10-07-09, 08:32 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,110 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry Stil
Folks,

P.S. Where's the spell check button on this site?

Kind regards,

JS...In Paradise
If you are using MacOS, you get the spell checker from there. Else it depends upon your browser. [Mozilla provides it ... not sure if explorer provides it or not].

Salim
Old 10-07-09, 08:48 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

Go to lexus owners club site, lock onto RX300 Forum, at the top of the forum are self help threads, one has the entire procedure for changing the timing belt.
here is one for the 1mze engine.\
http://yotarepair.com/1FZ-ME_timingbelt.html

Last edited by thomas1; 10-08-09 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-08-09, 07:50 AM
Aprazur
Rookie

Thumbs up Thank You!

Thomas1,

Thank you very much, But, Its a little hard to read copy of a copy. Its better then what I had (nothing). Me thinks, that I'll try to buy a factory manual on line.

I guess I was hoping (dreaming) of a more clear pictorial with neat short cuts like the ClubLexus mod (Lexmex) posted of the spark plugs change.

Wow...Actual pictures of the plug job being done for real with dirty fingers and all! I've been spoiled by the LexMex.

(See, Twang1200... Its better to go through life checkered with defeat, then to live in the grey twilight of those who never win or never lose because they never try) LOL

Kind regards,

JS...In Paradise

Last edited by Aprazur; 10-08-09 at 07:57 AM. Reason: message for Twang1200
Old 10-08-09, 08:14 AM
Aprazur
Rookie

Question Where's the "Thingie" Button?

Salimshah,

Thanks for the info on the Outlook Express spell checker. But, We've got the same program on the forum I live on, AppraserUSA.com, (check it out). It has a little "thingie" button, on the reply to thread page for spell checking.

As I said above, AppraisalUSA is the same software program that Club Lexus uses. I would think that a first class forum as ClubLexus is, (After all its a LEXUS forum), would have a spell checker.

Just my .02 cents,

JS...In Paradise
Old 10-08-09, 12:13 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

I think your solution would be a simple Haynes manual for the Lexus RX300 and Toyota Highlander, great little book for a good price.
Old 10-08-09, 12:53 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One caveat exists here - the VVT-i equipped engines have a special procedure there the crank MUST be turned 50 degrees CCW to minimize the chance of the valves and pistons making out.
Old 10-08-09, 03:47 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
One caveat exists here - the VVT-i equipped engines have a special procedure there the crank MUST be turned 50 degrees CCW to minimize the chance of the valves and pistons making out.
That's not in my Lexus Repair manual. Could you please say a little more about this? Thanks.
Old 10-09-09, 12:03 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
Yes, nthach- I have had the timing belt out 3 times on my DIL's RX and I have NEVER turned the crank CCW at all and have had no problem as a result. I have followed the Factory Repair Manual (Lexus) and it says NOTHING about turning the crank CCW at all. Would be very interested in where that information came from.
Old 10-09-09, 04:02 AM
Barryst
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi!

When I did my timing belt, my rear camshaft wanted to "fall" when I took the belt of at TDC, and yes it did. (hit my pistons a little, I caught it with my hands!) I think thats why they are telling you to "back off a little from TDC". So it will not fall into pistons.-
Its not too bad of a job. Just make sure your marks are where they should be after installing belt, by turning crankshaft 2 revolutions and checking alignment marks again.
(Its a little difficult seeing the back camshaft mark.)
Good luck!

The hardest part was getting off that crankshaft pulley! It has loctite on that bolt!

Barryst
Old 10-09-09, 11:25 AM
UNOHOO

granted im only a little less than 2 years into working on cars but for a timing belt, logically speaking i dont see why this is such a difficult job (havent done it for the record)

it would make sense to me that if you braced all gears and removed the belt and placed the belt back and made sure you had it right by counting the teeth before removal and after and as long as they were right and the gears never moved, how would the car even know the difference?
Old 10-09-09, 12:48 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
granted im only a little less than 2 years into working on cars but for a timing belt, logically speaking i dont see why this is such a difficult job (havent done it for the record)

it would make sense to me that if you braced all gears and removed the belt and placed the belt back and made sure you had it right by counting the teeth before removal and after and as long as they were right and the gears never moved, how would the car even know the difference?
RX's are very smart. They know much more than we give them credit for.
Old 10-09-09, 01:16 PM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by artbuc
RX's are very smart. They know much more than we give them credit for.
well yea i'll give ya that, mine got a better SAT score than I did, but nonetheless doesnt that make sense what i said?

Quick Reply: Any DIY Timing Belt Change Info?