RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

amp audio question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-02, 12:44 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amp audio question

Hey again, haha too all the stereo gurus out there haha

i have no clue or know VERY little about car audio... but i do love the sound and everything, louder the better =)

but yea, my question is how would i hook up a aftermarket amp to the stock head unit???

I'm plannin on purchaseing a MTX3004 (i think thast the model) 4 channel amp that produces 600 watts?? i think hehe and 2 12" kenwood subs for 200+shipping... its used for 3 months

is that good? and how would i go about installing it on the rx... =) thanks haha
Old 04-26-02, 07:17 AM
white01
Driver

I had an Audio shop install my amp & sub. They tapped into the power source to the stock sub, to power the my pioneer amp. The installation was pretty seemless the amp is under the passenger seat, and it doesn't intrude on passenger space.

I know the Audiophiles on the board have some pretty eloborate setups, I'm sure they'll have some good input on this.
Old 04-26-02, 10:04 AM
RXLover
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb Amp Options

What I would do is buy a speaker wire to RCA output convertor. using the speaker output to convert into RCA outputs for your Amp input. (I recommend getting a RCA looper or noise filter as the conversion is subject to alot of interferance from other electronic components). Than you could use you antenna signal output from your head unit to turn your amp on/off.
Old 04-26-02, 01:44 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

or you can tap into the stock amp to get your signal..... That's what I did before...
Old 04-26-02, 01:48 PM
gofaster
Driver School Candidate

The setup on the RX is different and is a pain in the butt to do.
Judging from your post you dont have a lot of audio experience, so I would just have the shop do it for you.

You have to remove the whole rear of the car. The seats, the the trunk and spare tire well, the carpet and the metal plates under it to get to the factory amp.
Then you have to take the factory sub output from the amp and splice that to a rca converter. That will be your rca input to the new amp now. You only have one channel for the sub output, so you have top get a converter that will allow you to split it into 2 channels for an RCA cable.
Then you will have to splice off the antenna wire on the factory amp to power the on off on the new amp you put in. All together not that hard, once you know which wires to use. I took out my whole rear and had everything set up but the remote wire for the on off, so I just had a shop finish the install for me.
Anyways, a shop should quote you around 100 some dollars for everything, just have them do it for you.
Old 04-30-02, 02:33 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the suggestions and answers, i think i'll just let a shop do it haha, this aint my cup of tea here