RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Aftermarket Stereo for '02 RX300

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-20, 04:55 AM
TashaMarie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by krayzyl3gs
There is a company called metra that makes aftermarket radio kits for first gen rx300s that are touch screen but tie into the factory look and give you full climate control.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdGf4ZND-cM
Literally the best thing anyone has posted. I found the part on Abt for $600. THANK YOU!
Old 12-15-20, 07:35 AM
whereitis
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been looking over this forum thread and haven't seen the answer to my question, although I've seen references to it (and the few links I followed from those references were either dead links or reached irrelevant solutions). I have a 2003 RX300 with 240K comfortable miles on it and the "upgraded" Nakamichi-sourced OEM stereo. It has an AM/FM /Cassette with a 6-CD changer in the glovebox. I've been using a $5 cassette adaptor for the last 10 years to provide an AUX input for my $20 eBay MP3 player, which has worked great, until the other day when my cassette deck ****-to-bed. Now all it does is click a few times and then eject the adaptor, but will not play cassettes or allow the adaptor (therefore the AUX input) to remain in the playback loop.

I really like the sound of the stereo and have no desire to "ugrade for better sound quality" (not to mention that the AC controls are integrated with the radio controls in the dash so I'm really in a tough spot in that regard anyway). So I'm looking for a solution to keep the factory interface and stereo system intact. I've heard about "AUX-upgrade hacks" for this unit, which would seem like an ideal solution for me. Can anyone point me to a simple method to allow me to add an AUX output to this unit? Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
MasonFX (07-07-23)
Old 12-15-20, 07:39 AM
whereitis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whereitis
I've been looking over this forum thread and haven't seen the answer to my question, although I've seen references to it (and the few links I followed from those references were either dead links or reached irrelevant solutions). I have a 2003 RX300 with 240K comfortable miles on it and the "upgraded" Nakamichi-sourced OEM stereo. It has an AM/FM /Cassette with a 6-CD changer in the glovebox. I've been using a $5 cassette adaptor for the last 10 years to provide an AUX input for my $20 eBay MP3 player, which has worked great, until the other day when my cassette deck ****-to-bed. Now all it does is click a few times and then eject the adaptor, but will not play cassettes or allow the adaptor (therefore the AUX input) to remain in the playback loop.

I really like the sound of the stereo and have no desire to "ugrade for better sound quality" (not to mention that the AC controls are integrated with the radio controls in the dash so I'm really in a tough spot in that regard anyway). So I'm looking for a solution to keep the factory interface and stereo system intact. I've heard about "AUX-upgrade hacks" for this unit, which would seem like an ideal solution for me. Can anyone point me to a simple method to allow me to add an AUX output to this unit? Thanks!
I will add here that all the solutions I've seen refer to the OEM stereo but NOT to the Nakamichi unit, which is considerably better-sounding imho (and is more tightly integrated cosmetically with the factory AC controls), and I have NO desire to replace anything about the stereo I have except to add an AUX-input solution.
Old 12-19-20, 02:21 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by whereitis
I will add here that all the solutions I've seen refer to the OEM stereo but NOT to the Nakamichi unit, which is considerably better-sounding imho (and is more tightly integrated cosmetically with the factory AC controls), and I have NO desire to replace anything about the stereo I have except to add an AUX-input solution.
I can agree with you if it works correctly as i have both stacker in dash and glovebox and it sounds great the only issue i have is stackers have problems and never stop changing dash discs so it is a power drain as still does it with keys out. I have upgrades to adapt things stacker socket splitter with aux in. The fantasy is it has acceptable sound to amplify as in reality may not be as good as what your starting with.

Last edited by Australian; 12-19-20 at 02:26 AM.
Old 01-06-21, 07:47 AM
whereitis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Australian
I can agree with you if it works correctly as i have both stacker in dash and glovebox and it sounds great the only issue i have is stackers have problems and never stop changing dash discs so it is a power drain as still does it with keys out. I have upgrades to adapt things stacker socket splitter with aux in. The fantasy is it has acceptable sound to amplify as in reality may not be as good as what your starting with.
Thanks for the response, even though your reply didn't address any of my concerns. My CD changer worked fine when I tested it (and presumably still does), but then I got the cassette adaptor for my MP3 player, emptied the CD changer and have never used it since. I suppose I could utilize the solution that taps into the CD changer wiring and converts the CD output to an AUX input (and cuts the CD changer itself out of the playback loop, which is OK since I never use it anyway), but I have yet to find a local installer willing to even quote me for implementing that solution. And if they will, I would presume they'd want at least a few hundred dollars to do it (if not even more). Toyota generally makes fine cars, but whoever designed the stereo interface in the RX300 was a complete f'ing idiot for not forseeing that there might be issues with the stereo over time and ignoring the possibility that the stereo might then need to be removed for service or replacement during the life of the vehicle (without compromising the HVAC interface). My RX300 just turned 240K on its odometer, runs great with its original motor and is generally quiet and comfortable, yet I'm actually considering getting rid of the car solely because the inability to use the stereo with my MP3 player is such a problem (the FM reception of this OEM unit is mediocre at best, so listening to commercial radio on a day-to-day basis is not a viable option). I found and bought a $13 FM transmitter to provide an AUX input, and it works, but it (a) limits the sound quality to the equivalent of FM radio frequency response and dynamic range (which is poor compared to the cassette adaptor, much less any digital format), and (b) continually generates a funny repeating ticking sound that's clearly audible in the background whenever my MP3 player is between songs (or a song is in a quiet part), so you can hear it often and it's quite annoying. I found a complete stereo replacement solution by a company called Metra that replaces the entire in-dash portion of the stereo and integrates HVAC controls into their solution, but I'm concerned it might not work as seamlessly as the OEM HVAC system, it probably doesn't sound as good as the upgraded Nakamichi stereo, and it costs $1500 (before installation) which is far more than I'm willing to invest in a vehicle worth maybe $3K if I'm lucky. There has to be a better answer than any I've found!
Old 02-17-21, 12:28 PM
timmerk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TashaMarie
Literally the best thing anyone has posted. I found the part on Abt for $600. THANK YOU!
Did you end up installing it? Did you have to do the amp bypass way in the rear and run speaker wires back up to the headunit? Or does the included amp bypass plug in somewhere behind the radio?
Old 02-27-21, 04:48 AM
Australian
Advanced

10" was sent broken no support from seller no resonse given

Last edited by Australian; 04-10-21 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-07-21, 01:18 AM
Australian
Advanced

So I bought a second 10'' from another supplier as was lied about features from first and it turns up broken. I am so fed up that i will sing like a canary if I don't get a satisfactory response. The unit is broken arrived with the mounting clips snapped off. Which are on the unit itself the expensive part. I am rightfully pissed off right now as it looks like it could have been avoided if supported correctly packing.

Last edited by Australian; 04-07-21 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-10-21, 07:27 PM
Australian
Advanced

They have kept playing dumb i will highly advise others to keep their money over buying these. i was purposely sent broken equiptment as they left screws out of it to try to validate the damage i suspect they only have broken units to send. Another member had same issue.