RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Car jerks when put in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-09, 08:07 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car jerks when put in reverse

Glad found this site. Great group. I apologize if this topic has been covered in the past. We have a 2003 AWD RX300 with 115K miles. In the past couple of weeks or so I have noticed that the car seems to jerk a little when put in reverse and when just apply some gas to move. It sure does seem like the tranny but figured I ask the experts. Will replacing the fluid help this condition? Any additives that may help? The fluid level seems OK but I am sure it is due for fluid change.
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-30-09, 08:46 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 313 Likes on 272 Posts

If you can't remember whe you last changed the fluid, then it's probably ready! Unlike the 1999-2001 RX300, the 2002 and on seem to have a revised planetary gear (which appears to be a significant cause of failure in these early model transmissions). But you may have other issues - solenoids, valves, etc. A change in fluid may help here. Check for error codes also.
Old 10-30-09, 08:47 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Welcome to the Club.

If you're not sure when you last changed out the tranny fluid, now is a good time to do that. There is a jerk sometimes when moving from P to R, but if you have old fluid, low fluid or something worse (metallic bits, etc.) now is good time to find out by doing a drain and fill as shown in the sticky thread at the top of this forum done by TunedRX300.

With the original Toyota Type-IV fluid, newer fluid should be red and have a slightly sweet smell to it.
Old 10-30-09, 09:19 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Thanks folks. I will go ahead and do the fluid change as decribed in the DIY.
As for error codes, according to the dealer there are none.
By the way, the dealer quoted me $220 for the tranny fluid change (1.5 hrs @ $150/hr plus fluid) and all they do is drain and fill! When I asked about the filter/strainer change, the service guy said he has never seen one changed during the six years he has been there...
Oh and the "jerk" I am talking about is not the typical P to R jerk. It happens after I put it in R and lightly apply gas. It almost feels like it slips for a fraction of second before catching the gear...Something like that. It almost feels like somehing in the rear diff but hard to tell exactly.
And last question: How much 75W90 oil is needed in the rear diff and front txr case? Thanks again.
Old 10-30-09, 09:29 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kalali
Thanks folks. I will go ahead and do the fluid change as decribed in the DIY.
As for error codes, according to the dealer there are none.
By the way, the dealer quoted me $220 for the tranny fluid change (1.5 hrs @ $150/hr plus fluid) and all they do is drain and fill! When I asked about the filter/strainer change, the service guy said he has never seen one changed during the six years he has been there...
Oh and the "jerk" I am talking about is not the typical P to R jerk. It happens after I put it in R and lightly apply gas. It almost feels like it slips for a fraction of second before catching the gear...Something like that. It almost feels like somehing in the rear diff but hard to tell exactly.
And last question: How much 75W90 oil is needed in the rear diff and front txr case? Thanks again.
For that price, I'd do it myself. The problem is not the strainer so much (that is likely metal on yours), but there are pan magnets on the bottom that need cleaning and also on the front differential attached to the transmission there is a drain plug that also has a magnet with material that needs to be cleaned off (again see TunedRX300's thread, as there is a good reason why it is stickied), https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...er-change.html

For the gear oil, you need just one bottle (1 quart) for the rear differential and one bottle (1 quart) for the transfer case, take a look at the last few of my posts, as I have tried, if I can call it that, to improve the procedure over the years, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...sfer-case.html
Old 10-30-09, 04:42 PM
kalali
Pole Position

Well I went ahead and did the fluid change. I did get about 4 Qts out of the bottom (measured relatively carefully by filling the drained fluid into Qt bottles). However I could not get the pan off mainly because I has hell of a time taking the front bolts off the pan. With or without the splash guard I found the the front cross member in the way and just couldn't get the ratchet to the bolts ( I even had the gasket ready to go, etc.). I think I need a thinner ratchet. Anyway, on the first try it looks like the "jerk" is gone...I will try it again tomorrow just to be sure. Needless to say, the fluid was really brown. Thanks again for all the good info.
Old 10-30-09, 07:32 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

Now drive it for a few days and do it again. Then repeat until it looks new. I never measure the fluid anymore 4 1/4 quarts is perfect every time.
Old 10-30-09, 08:06 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Usually what I do is drain out the fluid 3 times over 3 weeks and on the final drain and fill that's when I take off the pan.
Old 10-30-09, 08:23 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this problem......except I had a tranny fluid flush about 12,000 miles ago, @ 94,120 now, so my fluid is now a reddish/purple, more on the purple side. Since I know the fluid was good I did a drain and fill. It did nothing. I replace the motor mounts, cured that problem. The jerking was the old mounts that were bad. Maybe you should have this checked out.
Old 11-01-09, 08:45 AM
kalali
Pole Position

I will definitely do it again in a few weeks and will have the right tool to take the pan down. The other thing I have discovered is the dreaded rear seal leak. Not too bad but it is there. Is this something that is going to get worse and worse or it can be left alone? I did read about the Auto-Rx thing some of you have used. Will keep that in mind.
Old 11-01-09, 09:11 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kalali
I will definitely do it again in a few weeks and will have the right tool to take the pan down. The other thing I have discovered is the dreaded rear seal leak. Not too bad but it is there. Is this something that is going to get worse and worse or it can be left alone? I did read about the Auto-Rx thing some of you have used. Will keep that in mind.
That depends. Verify you are getting the leaking by wiping the area away and seeing what occurs.
Old 11-05-09, 01:40 AM
jz1219
Rookie

change the transmission fluid it will help alot!