RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Scan Gauge II

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-09, 12:44 PM
georgie39
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scan Gauge II

I just purchased a Scan Guage II to use on my 2002 RX 300.
Has any other forum member purchased and installed this Scan Guage in a similar year RX?
If so where did you finally wind up mounting the reader? (I cant find a good place to mount it so I can glance at it while I drive , the whole dash is taken up with other equipment and guages)
What has been your experience with the Scan Guage?
Has it lived up to your expectations?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Old 11-15-09, 02:42 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I can't comment directly, but I know there is someone I think either in this the 1st gen or the 2nd gen forum who has installed the scan gauge, which is an exceptional tool in it's own right. I've considered it, but am leaning toward either a laptop or advanced OBD2 scanner (still haven't made up my mind, though I now have the $$$).

I swore from what I remember about people installed it in similar 1MZFE vehicles (Solara, Camry, etc.) they mounted it somewhere along the bottom of the instrument panel.
Old 11-15-09, 04:53 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by georgie39
I just purchased a Scan Guage II to use on my 2002 RX 300.
Has any other forum member purchased and installed this Scan Guage in a similar year RX?
If so where did you finally wind up mounting the reader? (I cant find a good place to mount it so I can glance at it while I drive , the whole dash is taken up with other equipment and guages)
What has been your experience with the Scan Guage?
Has it lived up to your expectations?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thank you.
I have a Scan Gauge II and also had the original Scan Gauge. I absolutely loved the original and the II is vastly improved over it. I don't own an RX (that's my DIL's) but might suggest that if you want to glance at it very often you might want it closer to your line of sight. In the last 8 years before I retired, the work I did involved a lot of custom fabrication which I also absolutely loved. I fabricated 2 mounting places for the SGII, both of which are very viewable without removing my eyes from the road. I bought a 2nd cord so that I could just move it easily to my wife's car if we use it for a trip. I conceal the cord from the OBD port so nothing is showing. They made it a lot easier to do that with the SGII with the common plug that they use. I use velcro on the bottom, back and top to facilitate attaching it in any of the 3 places I chose to mount it in the 2 vehicles. If I might make a suggestion, not knowing what the exact contour of the top of the dash is, I made a mount out of a piece of scrap vinyl board that I had and it is easy to work with and sand to contour and then I painted it matt black and used double sided tape to attach it to the top of the mirror in my truck. The 2nd mount is a platform above the radio in the dash. I used a cabinet makers moulding contour tool to copy the the top of the dash. There are many other ways to form a professional looking mount, only limited by your imagination. Good Luck!

P.S. SG does sell a mirror mount (I think made by someone else) that might be an answer for you if you're not into custom fabricating.

Last edited by code58; 11-15-09 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-16-09, 07:21 AM
georgie39
Rookie

Lemex, Code 58...
Thanks to you both for your input.
I have only had the Scan Guage a few days so I'm still trying to understand it's operation.
I will consider you suggestions on a mounting location. I would like to mount it in a location where the cord to the OBD II connection is not so visible.
I am going to continue looking.
Old 11-17-09, 12:05 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by georgie39
Lemex, Code 58...
Thanks to you both for your input.
I have only had the Scan Guage a few days so I'm still trying to understand it's operation.
I will consider you suggestions on a mounting location. I would like to mount it in a location where the cord to the OBD II connection is not so visible.
I am going to continue looking.
Georgie- All of the mounts that I designed have the cord completely hidden, only the modular plug and 3 or 4 in. of cable is visible. The mount that SG sells for above the rear view mirror intends for the cord to be hidden in the headliner and L windshield post.
Old 11-17-09, 08:01 AM
georgie39
Rookie

code 58.
Thanks for your input.
Yes, I have seen the mount that SG sells to mount the guage above the mirror.
I think trying to run the cord under the headliner and down the windshield post is a little more work than I am willing to undertake at this point.
I might do as you have done and see if I can fabricate my own mount.
I am going to try to find a spot somewhere on the dash or maybe for now just leave it where I have it mounted (just to the left of the steering wheel right above the mirror control, security monitor, and seat memory feature) It's not the greatest place for the guage but it might turn out to be the only place.
Thanks again for your advice.
Old 11-17-09, 11:46 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Sure thing Georgie- If you need any help, just ask. Roger