RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

99 rx300 key tumbler stuck on ACC

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-09, 08:22 AM
900cc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 rx300 key tumbler stuck on ACC

Hi! i am new to this forum and my mom has a 99 Rx300 that has the key switch stuck on the ACC. Now i try to put the key back in to try and turn it off but no luck. Its completely stuck. I read a few threads on using WD40 and wiggling the key for about 15minutes to tapping the cylinder and nothing. Or maybe im not doing it right but has anyone successfully solved this problem without buying a new key tumbler?
Old 11-17-09, 09:17 AM
salimshah

Received 1,090 Likes on 981 Posts

Keep wiggling the key & shoot lubricant if you can and keep wiggling the steering. For a "good" system, you should not be able to pull the key out in ACC position.

Does the key actually belong to the vehicle [lots of people had the wrong key stuck].

If you do manage to get the key out, make sure you use the old (most worn key) the next time to drive it to a locksmith/dealer. I would not risk testing the key again (when it comes out).

Salim
Old 11-17-09, 09:38 AM
900cc
Driver School Candidate

Well that happen was that the tranny went out so they replaced the tranny with another one. They took it out for a test drive and when they came back the car still ran the same. So after the test drive they took out the key wrong but i didnt realize that untill now. So after all that they needed a new ECU.. so we bought another good ECU+ Chip and had it installed onto the car. So yes the key is the same one that they used before the tranny repair. But since they took out the key wrong it was stuck on ACC. So the guy who did the tranny swap didnt know how to out the car in Neutral to move it... so his dumbass took out the shift linkage to manually move the shifter. So now after we got that car in my shop he comes back and install the shift linkage back for us. He did not know there was the safty park button next to the shifter. So anyways now everything is installed... the car shifter can move... but the key wont turn. Weird thing is that the steering wheel is free. So what do you think?

So to sum it up the cars tranny went out. They took it to another shop to install another used tranny. After the test drive the car ran the same not shifting. They took out the key wrong and its stuck on the ACC.

The car towed over to my shop and we installed the new ECU + new Chip but cant get it to get out of ACC. The navagation screen is stuck on but sometimes when we wiggle the key slightly we was able to turn off the navagation but the key still wont move back to lock.
Old 11-17-09, 10:38 AM
salimshah

Received 1,090 Likes on 981 Posts

So you can turn the key from ACC -> Run -> Start and back to Run -> ACC (shut off the engine) but can not turn to Lock (and pull out the key).

The steering would be free in these positions and at least you can drive around the vehicle.

If this is the case then the tumbler are pulled to the right spot to turn forward. The only problem then seems to be with the off position.

One can always brute force it but you may snap the key or permanently damage the lock. Since it is driveable, take it to a locksmith [Even if you get it to off once, the problem still needs to be looked at, so do it without flat-bed or paying service call fee].

Salim
Old 11-17-09, 02:19 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a fairly common problem with the 99 RX. The key should not come out in the ACC position but many have found out that it does and when it does you have a problem. Most have been able to solve the problem by tapping on the end of the key toward the steering column while trying to turn it. Be careful if you use one of the plastic head keys for this. Best would be the metal headed wallet key. I remember one poster had this problem fixed at the Toyota dealer for less than $200. The tech knew about a tumbler repair kit which was much less expensive than the lock cylinder replacement that Lexus would want to do. Use the "search this forumn" drop down menu at the top of this forumn and search on "ACC" to read about many others who have had the same problem.
Old 11-18-09, 10:04 AM
900cc
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE: Ok guys problem solved i did the Flathead + Hammer trick and it now turns. Thanks for the help guys!