RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Finally decided on a scanner vs. laptop program for OBD2

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-09, 12:48 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What software could read and erase trouble code for airbag?
Old 12-28-09, 05:49 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by gazi001
What software could read and erase trouble code for airbag?
Why, you think you have such a code?
Old 12-29-09, 07:04 PM
tranft
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Lexmax, let us know how it turned out.
I bought the Costco $35 + tax one, it was actually pretty good since description of the CEL codes are given. It was good enough for my purpose.
Re: the Costco $35 one. Could you tell me the manf/model of that one. That seems like a really good deal. Was it instore or online Costco?
Old 12-30-09, 11:47 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Lexmex . My other car has code.
Old 12-31-09, 07:41 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gazi001
Thanks Lexmex . My other car has code.
It's really going to depend on the car, because some software just won't read certain vehicles for those codes.
Old 06-08-11, 04:18 PM
bullfroggy
Driver School Candidate

Hey, I know this is a really old thread, but I found it by googling. I have been looking into this for hours once I got the idea to set up an LCD screen in my car. I just learned all about OBD and OBDII and did a ton of research into different tools.

This thread is by far the most useful thread I have come across, but I still have a couple of questions. I hope that you can answer them.

First of all, if I buy the Elm5 scanner, will it be able to read and send through signals from the different protocols used by the different car models? I know this is a lexus site, but right now I don't own a lexus (yet) and I want to try it on different cars.

Secondly, Is there a way to find what format the signal comes into the computer? In other words, can I use the data in my own program using something like excel or whatever?

Thank you for your time and help.
Old 06-09-11, 04:52 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bullfroggy
Hey, I know this is a really old thread, but I found it by googling. I have been looking into this for hours once I got the idea to set up an LCD screen in my car. I just learned all about OBD and OBDII and did a ton of research into different tools.

This thread is by far the most useful thread I have come across, but I still have a couple of questions. I hope that you can answer them.

First of all, if I buy the Elm5 scanner, will it be able to read and send through signals from the different protocols used by the different car models? I know this is a lexus site, but right now I don't own a lexus (yet) and I want to try it on different cars.

Secondly, Is there a way to find what format the signal comes into the computer? In other words, can I use the data in my own program using something like excel or whatever?

Thank you for your time and help.
Welcome to the Club.

This particular scanner can read the newer and older formats for OBD2. I haven't had a friend yet with a car that has OBD2 that this scanner didn't support. However, some features of the software sometimes may not read certain aspects, but that is more a function of the vehicle itself as I sometimes know some factory scanners won't even output such information. However, the main stuff like A/F sensor readings, etc. show up.

The format that I usually see is .csv, which of course can go to excel. That comes with the elm5 scanner and the free program OBDwiz, but most of the commercial programs out there have some kind of log that can be outputed, but I can't speak for how the information shows up for every single program out there.
Old 06-13-11, 04:36 PM
bullfroggy
Driver School Candidate

Hey I just wanted to check up and say thanks a lot. I ended up buying the Elm5 USB cord from ebay for $35, and it works great!

I have already used it on a Kia sportage and a Honda Civic. Next I will try it on a Nissan Sentra and a PT Cruiser.

The free program works alright, though it is limited. I got another program and it works pretty well.

Thanks for the help! I would recommend the Elm5 to anyone who is looking for an OBDII scan tool.