RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Front Intermittent Wipers not functioning

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-09, 01:42 PM
pianowoman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Intermittent Wipers not functioning

Hello,

I am a newbie and have learned alot about my "new" car reading this forum as a nonmember. Thanks to all you posters for the good ideas, instructions and suggestions. Perhaps someone can steer me in the right direction for my little problem.

Having just purchased this car, I find the front intermittent wiper feature is not working. The girl doesn't have the rain sensor feature and I believe the windshield to be original as is has the Lexus name imprinted on it. Am about to change it out due to pitting. Anyway, am guessing the windshield is not the problem.

The wipers work, tracking through the various speeds although "low" is too fast for the continual drizzle up here in the north country. The intermittent ring tracks around the post, and you can feel each detent as it moves through the settings, just no intermittent effect on the wipers.

Oh, and when shutting down the wipers (which I do a lot without the intermittent working) the blade position does not return to the starting place (horizontal) if that's any clue....they just stop wherever on the glass.

Calling a Lexus dealer (not where I bought the car) I got the very general info that it would likely be 1.5 hrs x $150/hr just to diagnose the problem. I am leary of taking her in without understanding the situation better.

Thanks for any help.....and Happy Thanksgiving Day to all!
Old 11-26-09, 10:30 PM
salimshah

Received 1,073 Likes on 966 Posts

First a warm welcome. For this problem, you do not need Lexus dealership.

You only mentioned labor rates and should be prepared for replacement parts. I dont have the electrical diagram to confirm but typically the wiper motor has the floating contact .... that keeps the motor energized till the arm reaches the stow away position, even when the 12v supply is turned off. [exception is when you turn the ignition switch off, then the floating contact is also killed].

The intermittent wiper is simply a time control circuit. Again I do not know where that module exists [can even be inside the wiper motor].

If I find more or more concrete details, I will post a correction.

Salim