RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Help with couple of issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-09 | 06:59 AM
larturo
Driver School Candidate

Default Help with couple of issues

Hey, everybody, I recently purchased (1 week ago) a 2000 rx300 and even though the price was good (for my country, dominican republic, but the caar is imported) i knew it needed some tune ups, i know there are numerous posts regarding my issues but i just need help pointing me in the right direction (posts with the best answer) first off is the gas mileage the screen was showing 9.9 mpg, so i changed the air filter and did a combustion chamber clean kit (don't know if this is the right translation) it improved a little but now is showing 8.9 mpg after being on 10.2 mpg my rpm on idle is below 1000 rpm but today was even lower than 500 rpm, i couple of days ago i took it to the mechanic and he said that there are problem with the a/f sensor but he didn't give me the error code that it showed i ordered denso iridium plugs online, still waiting on them, to see if this help with the problem (car has 74,890) going desperate here with the gas consuptiom (sometimes black smoke comes out of the exhaust)

2. if i roll down the passenger side window i'm not able to roll up until at least half hour later and if i only roll it halfway and try to pull it back up it rolls down a bit more untill is fully rolled down then i have to wait to roll it back up

3. air conditiong fan sounds pretty loud it's annoying

there are probably a few more but let's stick to these ones for now
Old 11-30-09 | 07:37 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Club.

1. Let us know what the codes are when you have them, as that's key to us being able to help you out more. However, either 1 of the 2 A/F sensors being bad will lead to the type of bad gas mileage shown. With the low idle also see this thread,

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx3...-write-up.html

2. I have the same exact issue. It can be the window motor/regulator going, the battery getting old (mine is almost 5 years old) or it needs lubrication. Take a look at my threads here,

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...moval-diy.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...r-removal.html

3. I haven't tackled this project yet, but there are many threads on the air servo issue, sounds like crackling coming from the ac vents. I am going to let others add their comments on this, because again I have yet to take the photos and make a DIY on it.
Old 11-30-09 | 09:06 AM
JAB
Instructor

You need to be more specific about your 'a/c fan' problem. The most common problem is failure of the air/mix servo, which is inside the dash behind the globe box. Grease gets on the contacts, confusing the electrical circuits. The sound of it once it has failed has variously been described as a 'gerbil', a 'hamster wheel,' or a cd player trying unsuccessfully to read a bad disc. The part lists for $240; labor at a dealer to R&R it is at least another $200. Many DIYers have done the repair themselves, but it takes patience, small hands, and unnatural contortions of the body. Also, several have cleaned the servo and reinstalled it, thus saving themselves the cost of the part. My dealer sold me the part for $205, which I paid rather than attempt to clean the servo and risk refailure and the tedious task of removal and reinstallation. The obnoxious noise is now completely gone.
Old 12-04-09 | 08:18 AM
larturo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JAB
You need to be more specific about your 'a/c fan' problem. The most common problem is failure of the air/mix servo, which is inside the dash behind the globe box. Grease gets on the contacts, confusing the electrical circuits. The sound of it once it has failed has variously been described as a 'gerbil', a 'hamster wheel,' or a cd player trying unsuccessfully to read a bad disc. The part lists for $240; labor at a dealer to R&R it is at least another $200. Many DIYers have done the repair themselves, but it takes patience, small hands, and unnatural contortions of the body. Also, several have cleaned the servo and reinstalled it, thus saving themselves the cost of the part. My dealer sold me the part for $205, which I paid rather than attempt to clean the servo and risk refailure and the tedious task of removal and reinstallation. The obnoxious noise is now completely gone.
thanks for both your replys, but I was able to fix the air mix servo, read a threat posted on this forum a while ago, I followed the dude's instructions and solved it, it has something to do with the worm gear inside the servo.
Old 12-04-09 | 08:35 AM
larturo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Welcome to the Club.

1. Let us know what the codes are when you have them, as that's key to us being able to help you out more. However, either 1 of the 2 A/F sensors being bad will lead to the type of bad gas mileage shown. With the low idle also see this thread,

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx3...-write-up.html

2. I have the same exact issue. It can be the window motor/regulator going, the battery getting old (mine is almost 5 years old) or it needs lubrication. Take a look at my threads here,

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...moval-diy.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...r-removal.html

3. I haven't tackled this project yet, but there are many threads on the air servo issue, sounds like crackling coming from the ac vents. I am going to let others add their comments on this, because again I have yet to take the photos and make a DIY on it.
ron, I also followed your instructions on the door panel removal threat, and did as you recommended and used the wd40 lub and the lithium grease as well , the window is working better but not 100% since I found out that one of the "frame's part" is loose inside the door (is the one bolted to the end of the front passenger door, if you are looking at the door inside out is on the bottom right corner, but the bolt is missing) now I have to place it back but I don't know how
Old 12-04-09 | 01:41 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by larturo
ron, I also followed your instructions on the door panel removal threat, and did as you recommended and used the wd40 lub and the lithium grease as well , the window is working better but not 100% since I found out that one of the "frame's part" is loose inside the door (is the one bolted to the end of the front passenger door, if you are looking at the door inside out is on the bottom right corner, but the bolt is missing) now I have to place it back but I don't know how
I'm having a tough time figuring this out, but if you 'steal' one of my photos in one of the threads and mark it up with Microsoft Paint, that might help.
Old 12-05-09 | 12:02 PM
larturo
Driver School Candidate

I'm having a tough time figuring this out, but if you 'steal' one of my photos in one of the threads and mark it up with Microsoft Paint, that might help.
the bolt circled in red is the one holding the piece that i'm talking about, but the bolt's missing and the piece is hanging loose (not sure if I attached the image correctly)
Attached Thumbnails Help with couple of issues-148914d1249308116-door-panel-removal-diy-door31.jpg  
Old 12-05-09 | 12:03 PM
larturo
Driver School Candidate

the bolt circled in red is the one holding the piece that i'm talking about, but the bolt's missing and the piece is hanging loose (not sure if I attached the image correctly)
I "took" the picture with your consent............
Old 12-05-09 | 12:08 PM
larturo
Driver School Candidate

lexmex, are u not considering to take a trip to the dominican republic?, nice beaches here and the girls, you'd have to see them to believe me, but think about it, and while you are at it, give me a hand with my truck.....just saying man
Old 12-05-09 | 12:19 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

the window is working better but not 100% since I found out that one of the "frame's part" is loose inside the door (is the one bolted to the end of the front passenger door, if you are looking at the door inside out is on the bottom right corner, (but the bolt is missing) now I have to place it back but I don't know how
Larturo- since Lex hasn't answered yet, I will. That should be the rear window guide channel. That should just take a common (metric 10MM head bolt. Just make sure that it has not slipped out of where it slides into the upper frame at the top since it is hanging loose. The bolt that is missing is the only thing that holds it in. The bolt didn't fall out when you took the door panel off did it? Even if it fell out (from rough roads or whatever), it still should have been captive inside of the door panel shell.
Old 12-05-09 | 01:22 PM
larturo
Driver School Candidate

I purchased the truck with this problem already, when i removed the door panel the bolt was already missing, and since i bought the truck omething was making a weird sound in the door and this is the issue, I confirmed it when I removed the panel. I know the bolt is what holds it together but I tried pushing it upwards at least see if i could place it where it belongs (because the part is on the bottom of the door, it's standing, but on the floor, hope you understand what i'm saying) but it won't move up, and i didn't wanted to push it hard because i don't want to make it worse..... any ideas?
Old 12-05-09 | 05:54 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Sorry I got back to you late. I have been to the Dominican Republic a few times, but not sure when the next time I will get down there.

I am currently out of town (actually down in the Florida Keys), but hopefully when I get back on Sunday I'll take a look at the bolt on my driver's side (since I have to take another look at that door for my own sake) and see about this.
Old 12-06-09 | 12:47 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Larturo- If I understand what you're saying, if the metal channel that the bolt goes into has slipped down, it will probably be necessary to pull the window channel rubber strip out of it up to the belt line. Then you will have to look straight up in the opening to see where the channel "hooks" onto the channel on the door frame. Once you "hook" it, put the bolt in and then push the channel rubber strip back into the channel. If the metal channel has become "unhooked" from the upper frame, you will most likely not be able to get it hooked back without removing the rubber from the channel up to the belt line. Good Luck!
Old 12-06-09 | 09:16 AM
larturo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by code58
Larturo- If I understand what you're saying, if the metal channel that the bolt goes into has slipped down, it will probably be necessary to pull the window channel rubber strip out of it up to the belt line. Then you will have to look straight up in the opening to see where the channel "hooks" onto the channel on the door frame. Once you "hook" it, put the bolt in and then push the channel rubber strip back into the channel. If the metal channel has become "unhooked" from the upper frame, you will most likely not be able to get it hooked back without removing the rubber from the channel up to the belt line. Good Luck!
ok...thanks code58, I'll remove the door panel again and I'll take a good look at it. Hopefully is just like you're saying, pulling, hooking and pushing back, I'll let you know of my progress....thanks again
Old 12-06-09 | 09:37 AM
larturo
Driver School Candidate

Sorry I got back to you late. I have been to the Dominican Republic a few times, but not sure when the next time I will get down there.

I am currently out of town (actually down in the Florida Keys), but hopefully when I get back on Sunday I'll take a look at the bolt on my driver's side (since I have to take another look at that door for my own sake) and see about this.
all right..... any info is valuable....code58 has been helping me with this issue but the more recommendations, the better. Hope you enjoyed your previous visits to the DR

Quick Reply: Help with couple of issues