RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX-Sports Car?!?4 months impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-02 | 07:37 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Default RX-Sports Car?!?4 months impressions.

Ok, its been almost 4 months and 4000miles since i had my 02' awd. I thought i share some impressions with u guys:

First, i think i drive this thing like a sports car. I floor the car at every opening i get and redline the car when im on anything that remotely resembles an express way. I dont use the brakes too much, but uses the down shift hold botton A LOT. I try to drive it very fast and smooth, so i dont do sudden lane changes too much. But all in all, because my RX is in Taiwan, i basically am a reckless driver, and i use the car accordingly.

The car performed beyond expectations, but there is a mystery power spot between 4500 to redline rpm. When u floor the car at that engine speed, there really isnt any accelerating sensation. The car just gets loud and the rpm going but the car accelerates slowly. This is at hi-way speeds remind you. At standing still or lower speeds, the flooring method gets the car going with gusto(comparatively speaking).
Lexus really traded high end speed for low end torque, but i really cant complain with its performance here in congested taiwan traffic. Maybe if i bring this back to L.A, i might think its dead slow.

Then there is the stereo, i remember i complained profusely about the stereo, but now after always listening to CDs with the volume at the 11 o'clock position(VERY LOUD!) I have to say our stereo is very good. Of course i can benefit from more bass and clearer high notes, but................

Despite some minor rattles in the interior, i cant complain too much with it. Exterior-wize i wish ours came with 18s, but if i spend my own money, im really wishing for 19s or 20s. Thats it, nothing to complain about the exterior too.

But i really wish i had HID or Xenons here in taipei, some roads are so poorly lid, i really wish i have some hi-powered lights. I see some HID conversions here by RX owners, and i think i will convert pretty soon. Since there is no worries about blinding people, i 'll just get the highest watt possible without burning anything.

Overall, im very happy with my car but i'll happily take another 40hp, slightly better brakes and 18" wheels and i think this car will be pretty damn near the ultimate SUV in its class.

My write up when i first got the car:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...8&goto=newpost
Old 05-06-02 | 09:06 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Glad to see your still liking it. I just moved home from school for and remembered one of my smarter/better reasons for picking the RX. While quick and carlike, I can still cram all my stuff in it and travel home...very comfortably

I'm about ready to get some HID's too. I was thinking about autolamps-online and 6000k, but I think I am going to go with supremepowerparts and 4200k. SupremePowerParts has a better warranty than autolamps on the Phillips.

-nick
Old 05-07-02 | 03:25 PM
zexen
Advanced

yo LexRx, i'd like to see how HID's turn out on an RX. post some picks when you get em in and installed. btw, what type of headlights do the RX use? 9005 & 9006?
Old 05-07-02 | 04:48 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Yeah, the lows are 9006 and the highs are 9005. Check out the RX gallery. There is an RX there with aftermarket 6000k and spinteews has some pictures of his 6000k posted in a thread somewhere

I'll be sure to post pics when mine are installed
Old 05-07-02 | 07:31 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Keep on killing it.....
Old 05-08-02 | 01:02 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

ya theres pics around, i'll take new pics of my HIDS since i can now with a better camera =)

btw, how much is the HID kit at that other website going for Nick?? got a link? cuz man i'm driving my sisters accord and i'm too use to the HIDS, i cant go back to normal halogens..

nice impressions too john... glad your still rocking the rx =)
i listen to my music at 12 o clock =), louder hehhe i'll go deaf soon but once i hook up some subs....

btw, do your door rattle when you guys put the dial at 12 o clock?? my doors rattle a bit from the bass i think...

Last edited by spinteews; 05-08-02 at 01:04 AM.
Old 05-08-02 | 01:57 AM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

My car is pretty new, but i listen to heavy bass music everyday since day one, of course there are rattles if there are things in the door pockets, but the right front door one have a more annoying rattle that isnt associated with my "bumping".

I sometimes dial to the 12 0'clock position but thats when im fuxking drunk or wasted beyond control. At that time i dont think im able to notice ant rattles!=) U better keep it down, u will certainly have hearing lost, if not deaf!!!=)

Originally posted by spinteews
nice impressions too john... glad your still rocking the rx =)
i listen to my music at 12 o clock =), louder hehhe i'll go deaf soon but once i hook up some subs....

btw, do your door rattle when you guys put the dial at 12 o clock?? my doors rattle a bit from the bass i think...

Last edited by JohnsRX; 05-08-02 at 01:58 AM.
Old 05-08-02 | 08:34 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Mike, the kit is from http://www.supremepowerparts.com The group buy price is $499 which includes shipping.

Here is the link to the thread from MDX.org. The price is the same as buying from autolamps-online but supremepower has a 5 year warranty. They use the same Phillips parts and are based out of CA.

Hopefully sometime soon I will have my HID's and will want to drive at night all the time
Old 05-08-02 | 08:37 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Hey hold up a sec...... I want in on this group buy... My GS needs some HID's.........
Old 05-08-02 | 08:38 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Who is going in this one???
Old 05-08-02 | 09:30 AM
markbatt
Driver School Candidate

Do the RXs in Tiawan have the speed limiter like they do here in the States? Here they are limited to 112 MPH here because of the tires. It's my understanding, if they increased the speed of the RX they would have to use higher speed rated tires. The higher speed rating is stiffer, so they decided a smooth ride would sell more cars.

Maybe the speed limiter is causing the flat spot you describe in the high end torque?

Last edited by markbatt; 05-08-02 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-08-02 | 10:32 AM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Default Door rattle on sound

Mine rattles (or crackles) too when I have the music at past 11 o'clock position. Decreases if I lower the bass. I have also noticed that it happens mainly with napster downloaded Mp3 music converted to audio CDs.

I have some other rattles that I would be taking it to the dealer for sometime
Old 05-08-02 | 01:41 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Mike, this is a group buy over on MDX.org for Stage I Phillips HID's. It is from http://www.supremepowerparts.com out of California. I emailed the guy from SPP and told him I wanted in on the MDX group buy but for my RX and he said that's fine. I'm going to order them today.

Stage I Phillips HID for $499 includes shipping anywhere in the U.S.
Old 05-08-02 | 02:01 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

nice nice

i'm gonan think about it for now... haha i'm broke and its my sisters car... even tho i drive it, i'd rather put the money on the lex =)
Old 05-08-02 | 02:14 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

That's right, your and my sister have the exact same car

Quick Reply: RX-Sports Car?!?4 months impressions.