RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

GCVWR for 2002 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-09, 02:39 PM
NebraskaRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GCVWR for 2002 AWD

Apologies in advance if this information is already posted, but I could not find it with my search of the fourms.

I recently purchased a 2002 AWD RX 300 that came with a Class III hitch and has 4 flat wiring. Prior to the purchase of this vehicle, I hadn't considered using my daily driver as a tow vehicle for my horse, but I'm considering a Brenderup trailer (a Euorpean brand designed specifically to be towed by smaller vehicles than American horse trailers, and are most commonly pulled in Europe by Volvo wagons) and this would now be a choice.

Despite several hours of research (a very productive Friday afternoon at work!), I can't find what this vehicle's Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating is. I've got GVWR, I've got all the specifications of the trailer models, and I've got an estimation of the weight of the horse plus all his stuff, but I still need the GCVWR. It's possible it's on the sticker on the car, which I haven't yet checked.

The manufacturer's specifications state the maximum tow rating is 3500, but I don't know if this rating increases with any specific tow package, or if my car has that package. And I don't think the GCVWR calculation is as simple as adding the tow rating to the GVWR...

I know the RX is fine for the smaller sizes of Brenderup trailers, and I know some people haul the larger sizes with an RX without incident, but I really don't have interest in completely maxing out or overburdening the car's capabilities.

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 12-11-09, 02:59 PM
Privacy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3500 pounds with trailer brakes is the max the vehicle says
dont worry about any other weights, its what toyota says the car can handle
the car itself inside can only do 850 odd pounds for passengers

But having towed myself I can safely say 3500 is the max as toyota states.

the car is up to the task if you not looking to pull out tree stumps

-Pat
Old 12-14-09, 09:29 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NebraskaRX
...I really don't have interest in completely maxing out or overburdening the car's capabilities.

Thanks in advance for your help
Do you have any other options?
My '02 has a U-haul hitch the previous owner added for a bike rack.
It wouldn't be my first choice as a tow vehicle after reading all the tranny related threads. Just don't want to risk it.

I'd think the 3500# would be reduced by whatever is loaded into the vehicle.
Good luck.
Old 12-14-09, 02:52 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

As I recall, there is also a maximum tongue weight limit of 200 pounds. Could the horses moving back or forth make that a factor?
Old 12-14-09, 10:27 PM
Privacy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the tongue weight is more like 350 actually.
and the way a proper trailer works is by distributing weight evenly balanced over the 2-4 wheels so as not to exceed that tongue weight. otherwise I would be screwed when I tow my bikes or gear...

one thing you have to get though is electronic brakes for the trailer

the RX300's V6 can sure get that weight moving. but when the car weighs as much as the trailer+load you better have brakes rated for 3.5K on that trailer too

would i take an F2 or 350 over this RX300 for towing?
yes.
would I enjoy driving an F2 or 350?
like hell i would.
will your RX do the trick for light-medium duty tasks?
yup.

be safe. be aware. and be smart!
read up on towing basics 101 before you buy anything
Old 12-24-09, 08:08 PM
NebraskaRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

My RX is close to the magical 60k mile mark where the transmission either craps out or is seemingly completely fine. It's defintely a concern for me.

My other options are to continue to ask friends to help me out (which is fine unless there is a serious emergency) or find a guy to date who has a decent tow vehicle.

Tongue weight in traditionally designed trailers does typically vary with movement from the horse, but Brenderups are designed to have a constant tongue weight, with the largest trailer at 250.

Hauling live weight that is stacked poorly (most of the weight is high up, as opposed to packed low) and shifts on its own complicates things, and most horse people like to stay within 80% or so of the tow vehicle's capacity.

Anyway, for the matter at hand, I have decided to only consider the smaller trailer models that will leave a big margin of error when the horse and his stuff and me and my stuff are all loaded. If I find a great deal on a bigger model that I just can't refuse, I'll step up the efforts to find a guy with a bigger SUV or pickup.