RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Battery Replacements

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-09, 10:37 AM
golfer4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Replacements

I own a Lexus RX 300, purchased 8/2000.

In the last 9 1/2 years, I have had to replace the battery 5 times and my present battery is on the way out.

This seems to me to be an excessive amount of batteries in this time period.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? If so, any suggestions?
Old 12-12-09, 02:44 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Welcome to the Club.

Yes that is excessive. I had problems in Mexico with a few batteries prior to my current Optima Red Top that I've had since December 2004 (5 years), but now it's getting hit by the brutal heat of South Florida weather and it's taking a toll on this battery. I'm sure Nevada weather is no different in this respect if you get heat out there.

I am planning on moving to a lightweight battery likely within the next year, even though I think my Red Top could still keep running for a few more and am looking at Braille and Odyssey among others.
Old 12-12-09, 08:36 PM
salimshah

Received 1,082 Likes on 974 Posts

Originally Posted by golfer4
I own a Lexus RX 300, purchased 8/2000.

In the last 9 1/2 years, I have had to replace the battery 5 times and my present battery is on the way out.

This seems to me to be an excessive amount of batteries in this time period.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? If so, any suggestions?
It does seem excessive, but what batteries have you been using? Each come with warranty, you may like to get one with longer warranty. Shops that sell batteries can test out your charging system.

Salim.
Old 12-13-09, 06:01 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't had this problem, but I do have some comments.

The most likely problem, unless you have been buying batteries that are really junk, is excessive charging voltage. There are other potential problems (e.g., vibration from not being clamped securely), but that one seems the most likely.

If you buy a battery and install it yourself (e.g., Costco), the charging system won't get checked. Many service centers now have automated charging system test machines. I think many of these give printouts of the results.

I see you are in Nevada. Freezing temperatures when a battery is dead can kill it. Also, really excessive heat can shorten a batteries life, but not down to 2 years.

So, tell us more about what kind of batteries you have been using and if you have had any charging system tests performed.

Last edited by bob2200; 12-13-09 at 06:05 AM.
Old 12-13-09, 06:34 AM
thangd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Golfer4,
I am also living in Nevada and to change the battery every two to three years is common, because we live in a dry climate with extreme hot and cold. I have to replace my battery on my Toyota Avalon every two to three years also. The best we can do is to keep an eye on the the battery water level and keep it full. I just go to the Super Market and buy the one gallon distilled water, and now I keep checking the battery water level every oil change (5K miles). My car's batteries now had been more than three years and going strong.
Old 12-13-09, 11:38 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bob2200
I haven't had this problem, but I do have some comments.

The most likely problem, unless you have been buying batteries that are really junk, is excessive charging voltage. There are other potential problems (e.g., vibration from not being clamped securely), but that one seems the most likely.

If you buy a battery and install it yourself (e.g., Costco), the charging system won't get checked. Many service centers now have automated charging system test machines. I think many of these give printouts of the results.

I see you are in Nevada. Freezing temperatures when a battery is dead can kill it. Also, really excessive heat can shorten a batteries life, but not down to 2 years.

So, tell us more about what kind of batteries you have been using and if you have had any charging system tests performed.
Bob- either overcharging or undercharging can kill a battery. My guess would still be the extremes, BOTH hot summer and cold winter do as much to shorten the life of a battery as anything. Excellent idea about the charging system check.
Old 12-14-09, 12:34 AM
salimshah

Received 1,082 Likes on 974 Posts

Aaargh! Another thread where we all try to help a person, but we never hear back.

Salim
Old 12-14-09, 07:21 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Aaargh! Another thread where we all try to help a person, but we never hear back.

Salim
Don't give up the ship!

Number one, it's only been a few days.
Number two, with 82 views (as of today) you will never really know how many people you've helped or how many will benifit in the future using the sites Search feature.

I certainly appreciate the knowledge gained, as a casual reader and using the Search.
Old 12-31-09, 03:02 PM
karasdad
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my wife has a 2000 RX300, the OEM battery lasted seven years and 70K miles, we moved closer to work, instead of driving 19 miles a day, we're down to 3 miles per day. The OEM battery died six months after we moved and started driving less. I replaced it with a Costco Kirkland Signature battery and it lasted two years, less than 4K miles annually (full refund). I just went to Sears drive thru yesterday and they checked the battery and charging circuit, and the testing machine pronounced it bad. The tech said the car needs to be driven more, given the demands of the colder weather and the seat heaters and lights ususally on all the time in the short drives. I had the same problem with my 1998 LS400 but Sears replaced the Diehard gold battery twice.
Old 12-31-09, 05:39 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have just replaced the original battery at 7 years and 9 months, or at 151K miles. It was showing signs of weakness, but still started the RX just fine. Got the Walmart (yikes) battery because it's highly rated by CR. Will see how it goes.

Extreme desert heat can kill a battery in two or three years. When the temperature is above 90 degree during my commute, I usually pop the hood when I get home. My commute is 50 miles one way.