RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Headlight problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-09, 01:20 PM
bearbrew
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headlight problems

The R/H high beam headlight has gone out on my 2000 RX300. So far I have replaced the headlight, twice, and the fuse with no help. The electrical connector is not corroded and there is still the white grease in the rubber boot. The light indicator on the instrument panel is illuminated also.
Is there a wiring harness available that pertains to the high beam system? Or is there another area I need to check to find the problem?

Bearbrew
Old 12-12-09, 08:29 PM
salimshah

Received 1,048 Likes on 946 Posts

Can you expalin your problem a bit ..

The RH Headlamp bulb keeps blowing out along with the fuse or you just switched them out twice with no success.

Also are you by any chance using hyper-whites?

Salim
Old 12-13-09, 07:19 AM
bearbrew
Driver

Default Headlight problems

After replacing the first headlight it did not illuminate. So, I thought perhaps it was a bad new bulb so I replaced it again and it did not illuminate either. Then I replace the fuse twice and the headlight did not illuminate. The first bulb I tried was a Sylvania SilverStar and the second was a Phillips X-treme Power.
Is there a relay in the system I need to check?

Thank you,

Bearbrew
Old 12-14-09, 06:39 PM
bearbrew
Driver

Well, the temperature has dropped and it is supposed to be quite cold for the next few days. Looks like I will be waiting for better temperature before I get back to running down this problem.

Thank you everyone for the help.

Bearbrew
Old 12-15-09, 09:35 AM
salimshah

In the mean time, I would suggest that you get hold of the wiring diagram and make plans as how you will test the existence of voltage. At U-Haul, I have seen a screwdriver with a hook attachment and they hook it over a wire and squeeze the handle .. a sharp pin comes out and pierces a minute hole in the wire insulation to reach the conductors inside.

Typically all connectors in Lexus have positive lock on them and do not go bad [any thing can happen]. If some one has worked on the harness, they may have left the plug half engaged. [Knowing what has happened in the past helps narrow down the scope of search].

Also check before replacing ... see if the bulb is actually blown and also fuse is really popped. For these checks, you dont really need expensive meters. Harborfreight sells a few below $5.00, but you would still some skill to use them correctly.

Salim
Old 12-15-09, 06:40 PM
bearbrew
Driver

The RX300 was purchased new for my wife's Christmas present in 2000. The Lexus dealer's mechanics are the only other mechanics besides myself to work on the vehicle. There has not been any work accomplished on the wiring system to date.
With a wiring diagram I will start going thru the system to see where the problem is. I thought perhaps someone had encountered this problem and had an idea of where to start the process.
I appreciate any help possible to solve the problem.

Thank you,

Bearbrew
Old 12-23-09, 12:08 PM
safetyman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bearbrew
If you need a wiring dia drop me a pm.

Regards
Eddie
Old 12-23-09, 05:33 PM
salimshah

Electrical wiring problems typically do not plague Lexus.

Logically you can work your way form the battery to the light bulb or better still work your way from the light bulb to the battery.

Trunk to leaves has too many splits and you can take the wrong path. Leaves to trunk is better.

Since the problem can be any where in the path, you can be lucky that the first place you check will reveal the problem.

I prefer a binary search. Like the game try to guess the number between 0 & 100. You can go 99, 98, 97 .... or try 50 (good), 75 (no good), 62 and so on.

Salim
For a clean brake, the voltmeter can be used to check presence of voltage. But if the thr break is partial (high resistance) then voltmeter will read 12v. Then use the a 12v lamp as load.
Old 01-19-10, 08:58 AM
junkref
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ballast???

Have you found a solution to this issue? I am having an identical problem with my 2000 RX300. The burned out bulb was definitely blown, and the new bulb will not work. The fuses look fine. I've read in some other forums that this could possibly be the ballast, but in those cases, the problem was intermittant prior to completely failing.
Thanks
Old 01-25-10, 06:54 AM
bearbrew
Driver

Default Head light

No, I have not located the problem yet. We have been involved in too many activities and travel for the last two months to be able to spend time trying to locate the problem.
In the near future I will try and locate the problem.

Bearbrew
Old 02-28-10, 08:09 AM
bearbrew
Driver

Default Headlight problem

Yesterday it warmed up enough for me to to tackle my headlight problem. As a last resort I decided to change the fuse one more time and it turned out to be a bad fuse.
I had previously changed the fuse with the spare fuse located in the fuse box and this did not help. Well, a new fuse from the parts store and now I have a working right hand headlight. This is the first time I have encountered a new fuse being defective.

Bearbrew
Old 03-01-10, 01:20 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bearbrew
Yesterday it warmed up enough for me to to tackle my headlight problem. As a last resort I decided to change the fuse one more time and it turned out to be a bad fuse.
I had previously changed the fuse with the spare fuse located in the fuse box and this did not help. Well, a new fuse from the parts store and now I have a working right hand headlight. This is the first time I have encountered a new fuse being defective.

Bearbrew
One tip if I may BB- Always "reset" any fuse or electrical connection that APPEARS to be OK, but still doesn't work. I can't tell you how many times I have seen clean looking connections and fuses fail to complete the circuit. Simply unplug and replug (fuse or connection) rapidly several times and you would be amazed at the problems with electrical gremlins it solves. If you only remove it once to check it (fuse or plug), it may not clean of the surface enough to cure the problem. I MUST emphasize that the contact surfaces DO NOT have to look dirty or corroded to fail continuity. It should be the 1ST!!! thing you do in the case of electrical problems. (unless you actually LIKE chasing your tail )