RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Timing Belt question/ engine question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-10, 05:08 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

TS- I didn't use to agree with your position but I do at this point. If you are putting out "Lexus dealership" type money for these repairs, you have my sympathies, unless you are independently wealthy. If doing the work yourself, at what the parts (OEM) can be purchased for on the net (incredible prices, I would NOT use aftermarket!), I would definitely do all at one time. When I went back in about 30k mi after I had replaced the TB, to investigate a squeal at start up, I replaced everything as a precaution. ALL bearings were smooth as glass so with my inquisitive mind, (not being able to rest til I discovered what caused it), I used a die grinder and a very thin cut-off blade and halved all parts. I discovered that it had to have been the tensioner pulley.It is the only pulley that uses a single row of bearings and had run dry of grease ON THE BEARINGS. There was live grease in there but after 9 years and 130k mi was pushed away from the bearings completely. It had only left a faint light gray line in the center of the race (with NO sign of wear) ALL of the bearings in the WP, IP, and TP are the same size and by digital mic and magnifying glass showed NO sign of anything but brilliant polished appearance and ALL mic'ed exactly the same. They put some incredible parts in these cars. I guess the bearing didn't like being run totally dry, but showed no negative effect (no sign of heat), just the squeal. I believe the fact that it is a single, rather than a double row of ***** (by design it is best made that way) is the reason it went dry and the other 2 (WP&IP) didn't.

Last edited by code58; 01-04-10 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-03-10, 08:02 AM
tomstep2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karasdad
absolutely! It's only $250-$300 more to have all the other stuff done. would make it much easier to sell the car later too.
If you have a local mechanic that you trust, it will be much cheaper than that. I had the thermostat, water pump, radiator (it had a crack in it), all belts, including timing belt done for about $420 parts & labor.

The difference in cost for the pulleys was about $80 in parts. I am not including the water pump since it was going bad and being replaced anyways. My mechanic advised me to change the pulleys & tensioners and advised anytime you are having one thing replaced to go ahead and replace everything.

I did not listen and did not replace the pulleys & tensioner as they were all okay. Five months later, one of the tensioners goes out and makes the belt skip 4 teeth. Also, the bearings came loose in the timing belt area and got lodged into the water pump pulley. I then had to pay for a tow, then pay for the job again to have everything replaced. All told, I paid about $850 for work that if I would have paid the extra $80 for preventative maintenance, it would have saved me over $350 not to mention the time and tow.

If this would have been on my RX and the belt skipped, it would have totaled the engine. Is that a risk you want to take on your RX? I was lucky that my ES is older and a non-interference engine and didn't do any engine damage.

I have been using my local mechanic for over 10 years now. I actually trust him more than the Lexus/Toyota service advisors and techs.
Old 01-04-10, 01:02 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

I have been using my local mechanic for over 10 years now. I actually trust him more than the Lexus/Toyota service advisors and techs.
That's not hard to understand.

They must like you Tom. At a Lexus dealership I don't think it would be uncommon to pay at least $2000. for the work you described. I have frankly NEVER heard of that cheap a price (and I do mean CHEAP).
Old 01-04-10, 05:15 PM
tomstep2
Pole Position

My mechanic used to be the service manager at a local Infiniti dealer. I have known him and been taking my cars to him for 10+ years now. He gives me a great discount for the fact that I refer a lot of people to him. We both know that he isn't really making any good money on the work done on my car, but I have referred over $20,000 of work to him over the past year alone.
Old 01-04-10, 05:16 PM
tomstep2
Pole Position

Code58, you are right, Lexus wanted close to $2000 for the same work.
Old 01-05-10, 12:29 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tomstep2
Code58, you are right, Lexus wanted close to $2000 for the same work.
Good for you TS. It's only right that you benefit some from sending him that much work. I spent my life in automotive work and wonder how people pay some of these bills.
Old 01-05-10, 08:33 AM
salimshah

Received 1,063 Likes on 957 Posts

Lets make a distinction between preventive and preemptive maintenance.

A sharp mechanic is capable of doing good diagnosis and repair. He can even observe and tell about to fail part. If he does not know the failure rate of various parts, he is not suited to recommend preemptive maintenance. [Advantage Lexus/Toyota].

As consumer we want our $$$ to stretch as far as possible. We are always weighing out of pocket cost and how many more miles of trouble free service we can expect. So there is a delicate balance between needed and un-needed preemptive maintenance.

This leads to us to an interesting situation where the cost of un-needed preemptive is less or equal than the base cost of preventive maintenance [dealer cost vs indi vs DIY]. [disadvantage Lexus/toyota]

My view is that the idlers (lubed for life) really need to be examined and preemptively replaced. Water-pump on the other hand should be examined and replaced if needed. Also the TB should be replaced soon after reaching 90k.

Salim