RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Ruined MAF sensor during cleaning, please HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-09, 05:06 AM
DarwinX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Ruined MAF sensor during cleaning, please HELP!

Just joined this forum, it seems like the most complete one out there. I need some guidance as to the best place to purchase a Mass Air Flow Sensor for my 99 RX300. Yesterday, while cleaning it, I have ingeniously managed to kill it. Now, my precious RX just stalls immediately upon ignition. Looking down the sensor tube, I can only see one wire, not two, so I must have torn one of them with a cotton swab during cleaning.

In any case, there are tons of them on eBay, should I buy a slightly used OEM Toyota Denso part or rather a new after market one? Also, there are several part numbers for this MAF, which ones are compatible? I have read some rather disconcerting stories about after market MAF sensors.

Please help ASAP as I now have literally NO transportation at all!
Thank You!
Old 12-18-09, 07:58 AM
salimshah

Received 1,061 Likes on 957 Posts

Some times things go bad. This happens to well seasoned mechanics as well. When ever people talk about cost of repair, I remind them that some fat is built in for the risk of things going bad.

First double check that MAF led is broken. After clean up, you need to hold the gas pedal a bit to get the engine going. I will try to get ohm readings for you, but you need a digital ohm meter.

I would suggest to stick to OEM, used would be fine. Call Lexus parts to get the part number and at least establish the cost of the new.

And dont kick yourself too hard. My last boo boo was ruining my son's MAF. Ebay came to the rescue.

Salim
Old 12-18-09, 08:12 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Welcome to the Club.

If you were close to Miami, I'd throw you my old MAF, but I'm not sure how good that thing would work given I had issues before.

The part number I have for the Denso MAF is 22204‑21010 and you might try entering that on the net to see if you can get any better pricing than a dealer.

I personally would take a slightly used Denso than any aftermarket. There's just some things on this vehicle that I will stay with stock (especially a/f sensors).
Old 12-18-09, 08:20 AM
salimshah

Does any one know if there is a fail safe mode for MAF for RX? When I killed my son's BMW 328i, the CEL lit up and the car fell in to safe (drivable .. lacking some omph) mode.

Do you think DarwinX can disconnect the sensor cable and see if the engine runs? That is how we were running the BMW for few days.

Note: It is not recommended to drive for long without MAF.

Salim
Old 12-18-09, 08:54 AM
DarwinX
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

Salimshah, what do you infer by the "MAF Led"? The two small wires in the tube? If so, one is definitely gone. I was under the erroneous impression that the outside temperature sensor was the only one and haphazardly stuck a cotton swab inside. Also, the car stalls even faster without the MAF attached.

Financially, after market or used OEM is my only option. New ones are at least $100 shipped on eBay and from what I've read, I'd much rather go for a used OEM over a new after market part.

Lexmex, I am in Jacksonville, FL. What were your issues with the sensor? Could you possibly ship it to me via USPS Priority Flat which is less than $5 and I will immediately PayPal you money for your efforts and shipping costs? We could all use the extra $$$. Considering your credibility, I don't mind paying for it, especially if you ship it out fast, it takes 1 day for Priority USPS delivery within Florida and I'm stuck with NO transportation, including public, until at least next week. Just a thought.
In any case, Thank You guys for all the prompt feedback!
Old 12-18-09, 10:40 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DarwinX
Salimshah, what do you infer by the "MAF Led"? The two small wires in the tube? If so, one is definitely gone. I was under the erroneous impression that the outside temperature sensor was the only one and haphazardly stuck a cotton swab inside. Also, the car stalls even faster without the MAF attached.

Financially, after market or used OEM is my only option. New ones are at least $100 shipped on eBay and from what I've read, I'd much rather go for a used OEM over a new after market part.

Lexmex, I am in Jacksonville, FL. What were your issues with the sensor? Could you possibly ship it to me via USPS Priority Flat which is less than $5 and I will immediately PayPal you money for your efforts and shipping costs? We could all use the extra $$$. Considering your credibility, I don't mind paying for it, especially if you ship it out fast, it takes 1 day for Priority USPS delivery within Florida and I'm stuck with NO transportation, including public, until at least next week. Just a thought.
In any case, Thank You guys for all the prompt feedback!
A number of issues. One thing is two areas where you would put in screws, those are broken because of my negligence in tightening down the bolts to hard (I'd have to dig up the old thread from Mexico to show what occurred) and second that last time I hooked it up to diagnostic software at a friend's shop about a year ago just a tests versus my new MAF, it was haywire in terms of registering the intake temperature and also threw a P0171 error (not even a pending code), but a solid P0171 which is what originally happened to me back in Mexico when I used it. What was noticeable with the car was heavy up and down idling.
Old 12-18-09, 10:57 AM
DarwinX
Driver School Candidate

I see. So, how safe is it to buy a used OEM MAF sensor on eBay? Who is to say that it is not faulty?
What else could have I messed up in my little mechanical foray? Could it be that, while digging in the motor, I inadvertently fried something else entirely?
Old 12-18-09, 01:50 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I see. So, how safe is it to buy a used OEM MAF sensor on eBay? Who is to say that it is not faulty?
What else could have I messed up in my little mechanical foray? Could it be that, while digging in the motor, I inadvertently fried something else entirely?
Sorry for my late reply, it's been kind of mess today.

You take a giant risk there and let's suppose you buy it and it's messed up. Who is to say that the seller won't say you messed it up with your vehicle. The only thing that would really help is if you could plug in and OBD2 scanner. You can try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery cables, but I'm sure that if you're missing one of those two little wires in the MAF, that's going to cause issues.
Old 12-18-09, 02:30 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

It looks like the parts houses are getting them rebuilt. There must be a kit out there to do it yourself. I don't get the pricing they are asking for used and rebuilt sensors, I just found them brand new from a Lexus dealer for $115.
Old 12-18-09, 09:20 PM
salimshah

MAF for me has two sections. The led which sticks out and typically gets a layer of soot. The other is a deep cavity and and I dont even remember looking down in there other than giving it a blast of cleaner.

Buying from ebay has its risks and rewards. The one I purchased for my son even has a 1 yr warranty. It is matter of finding a reputable seller. I always recommend, pricing it at the dealer and then look at the cost difference. With your vehicle not in service, it just might be better to pay the extra money.

So are you sure yours is broken? Even the sensor from dealer would be non-returnable once you open the packaging.

Are you getting a CEL? Do you have a reader to dump the code?

Salim
Old 12-19-09, 03:28 AM
DarwinX
Driver School Candidate

Quite alright, Lexmex, it is understandable. Carguy07, would you please provide a link to where you have found that price? My Lexus scam artists require around $250 for the part and another $100 for the labor!
Salimshah, I know mine is broken because I personally broke it. I did have an engine check light along with a few codes (p0171) triggered by the OBD-II, unfortunately I have no scanner anymore and would have to grab a taxi to get it.
It is just hard for me to pay for the new OEM part right now and I am really afraid of an after market one.
Old 12-19-09, 07:34 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...model=RX%20300

Actually use above and just enter the keyword mass on the left side where it asks for keywords that will bring it up for $115, this is Lexus of Pembroke Pines in Florida.

Last edited by Lexmex; 12-19-09 at 07:36 AM. Reason: edited
Old 12-19-09, 08:41 AM
DarwinX
Driver School Candidate

Description Year MSRP Price Core Price Your Price
mass air flow sensor, rx300 99-03 $164.76 $0.00 $115.89

Very reasonable for a Lexus dealership and not too far. Thank you for this, I'm bookmarking it. Are there like honest Lexus dealers down where you are? We don't have those here.
Old 12-19-09, 08:42 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...model=RX%20300

Actually use above and just enter the keyword mass on the left side where it asks for keywords that will bring it up for $115, this is Lexus of Pembroke Pines in Florida.
Yep, my new favorite online vendor.

Here are some good pics: http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/kno...v2&id=152&c=11
Old 12-20-09, 09:31 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Description Year MSRP Price Core Price Your Price
mass air flow sensor, rx300 99-03 $164.76 $0.00 $115.89

Very reasonable for a Lexus dealership and not too far. Thank you for this, I'm bookmarking it. Are there like honest Lexus dealers down where you are? We don't have those here.
There is never a full 100% honest dealer, but I really don't do business with any of them, not even for parts (most I'll order online). The remotest thing I do is usually pick up some coolant and that I'll get at Toyota.

About the best dealer I've ever met (of any vehicle) was the one I used to go to in San Antonio, Texas, which was the closest U.S. dealer to me when I lived in Mexico City and I'd drive there at least once a year.

Quick Reply: Ruined MAF sensor during cleaning, please HELP!