RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Navigation Disc Change Out

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-09 | 03:40 PM
PortlandRX
Driver School Candidate

Default Navigation Disc Change Out

I just ordered the Gen 2/3 9.1 upgrade DVD for our '02 RX300 and wanted to check in on the best way to swap out the disc. I was able to locate the drive under the cargo floor and quickly saw how to eject the existing disc (slide to open and press the eject button).

After reading numerous horror stories about loss of functionality after upgrading, I'm a bit wary of doing this myself. Are there any tips on how to set the system up to swap the discs and minimizing the functionality loss others have reported? Or is it just as simple as turning off the ignition and ejecting the disc? Oh yes, the disc I ordered is from the dealership and will (obviously) be OEM.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 12-21-09 | 03:04 AM
PortlandRX
Driver School Candidate

Ok...really?? I have asked several serious questions on this board and have not gotten a single answer for ANY of them. Meanwhile, others around me posting topics get answer after answer. I'm not new to forums, just new to this one and the fact that nobody bothers to even say hello or help me with my questions speaks volumes about it. Needless to say, I'm not impressed and will not be back.

Thanks for nothing and don't worry, I won't be back to throw off the vibe in your elitist little club...
Old 12-21-09 | 05:14 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

It might just be that nobody knows the answer to your question or they don't understand it. I wouldn't because I don't have a navigation system in my 99 RX300, but I've helped people on numerous occasions both in posts and private messages on this site. Keep in mind we're a volunteer community not supported by Lexus but really by each other and the vendors who sponsor us. That's all we've got. I think also too from having been years on this site that people would rather not say anything if they don't know the answer as opposed to giving a dumb answer like look in the manual, which I've seen on at least one other Lexus site and of course numerous other car sites.

However, personally having read every single post in this particular forum, the RX300, I can't recall one quite on topic to what you are describing. In fact, I have the updated service manual (that has navigation talked about) and also don't see anything that might be of value.

There have been some people here who have made hybrid disks attempting to combine benefits of say one version with another one (I'm not talking about piracy or any other prohibited topic), but again I don't have the system myself so I wouldn't know.
Old 12-21-09 | 08:35 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Wow you really want some help huh? Your tranny was “clunking” and you expected an online diagnosis in less than 8 hours. Well, the online diagnosis was your tranny is failing and no one wanted to tell you that. People probably did not want to state the obvious since they had no constructive “fix” for your problem. The $4,800 quote that you got for replacing the tranny and a transfer case seal is very high, but too late you never asked about that.

Now you want someone to give you advice about updating your navigation? Many of us do not have it at all and have never even heard of the problems you are referring to. Maybe start with referencing the numerous horror stories so we at least know what you are talking about. Some of us will research problems like that even if we don’t have the equipment just to help someone out. Oh well, your valuable input will be missed here.