RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Steering wheel not centering after turning

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-10 | 06:55 AM
LR60
Driver School Candidate

Default divine RX

The shop calls and tells me they can no longer duplicate the problem, they'e tried everything, changed nothing, and the steering responds normally. "It's a miracle," I say! As a precaution, I take it to the dealership anyway. They perform an alignment, tell me the front and rear needed slight toe adjustment and send me on my way. I'll share any further divine characteristics should they manifest themselves. Maybe 5 gallons of gas turning into 20.
Old 01-14-10 | 08:42 AM
salimshah

If you happen to be in/around Austin, there is an independent Soul Speed & Performance.

Else keep an eye on the slop.

Salim
Old 01-24-10 | 09:01 AM
jcorredor
Driver School Candidate

Have your mechanic check the intermediate shaft assembly. It's a universal (crosspiece) joint with 4 bearing points that can go bad.
If it turns out to be the lower suspension arm, don't bother with new bushings, they won't last. But you don't have to buy the Lexus part; Camry arms are the same.
Old 02-22-10 | 11:33 AM
LR60
Driver School Candidate

I'm, back. All seemed well . . until. I had the car up on the lift, a week after the dealer aligned it, to check a replaced transmission gasket, all looked fine. The car was lowered to the ground resultingin the steering wheel clocked to the right. Now the 1 o'clock position is the new center . No slop, car tracks straight. I driven it for about 2 weeks in this condition and it hasn't changed. Any new thoughts?
Old 02-22-10 | 02:04 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by LR60
I'm, back. All seemed well . . until. I had the car up on the lift, a week after the dealer aligned it, to check a replaced transmission gasket, all looked fine. The car was lowered to the ground resultingin the steering wheel clocked to the right. Now the 1 o'clock position is the new center . No slop, car tracks straight. I driven it for about 2 weeks in this condition and it hasn't changed. Any new thoughts?
This should be an easy fix for the alignment shop. I would say take it back to the dealer [as he recently did your alignment] .. I bet they failed to tighten this adjustment down. at least there is no slop.

Salim
Old 02-23-10 | 12:36 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LR60
I still say you need a top notch "Frame and Front End Alignment" shop. I refuse to accept that there is nothing wrong that cannot be found by an experienced, competent technician. I HAVE known them in the business (admittedly they are rare). To bad you are several states away, I would find the problem for you, and wouldn't charge you either. I love challenges, and THIS IS NOT NORMAL! My concern is that it may be something that is fractured and kept in place by the irregularity of the fracture. When I did front end alignment, it was always a tip-off that something wasn't kosher when you had to move the adjustments very far from factory settings. (meaning to near limits)