RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 OEM roof rails

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-10, 02:49 AM
martinb820
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX300 OEM roof rails

I just inherited a 1999 RX300 (with 16,000 miles). It doesn't have roof rails, and I'd like to add them, but Web searches turn up only aftermarket kits that require drilling holes in the roof. Is there a source for OEM roof rails that don't require drilling holes?
Thanks,
Martin
Old 01-21-10, 05:52 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

I think I need to clarify my definitions. There are the channels that hold the roof racks, that run from front to back on both sides of the roof. Then, there are the two roof rack bars, that run from left to right side of the RX, that fit into the channels. These two OEM roof rack bars have ***** on them that tighten them down to the channel, once you get them in the position you want.

The realistic options for purchasing are eBay and auto recyclers (i.e., junk yards), or both since a lot of recyclers sell on eBay.

Note that the rated weight limit for the roof top bars is only something like 70pounds, so it is not intended for heavy loads.
Old 01-21-10, 06:55 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The bars that came with the first batch of 1999 RX300 were woefully inadequate; they were sort of spindly and sat up fairly high. Lexus soon changed the design to something more squat, closer to the roof, and more substantial. Be sure you get the latter.
Old 01-21-10, 07:58 AM
ByTor
Driver

I took my racks off and put them on my wifes' RX. The roof racks on her RX had paint peeling, and mine looked new. I just threw her roof racks in the corner of the garage in case I need to haul some feather pillows on top some day.
Old 01-21-10, 08:15 AM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by martinb820
I just inherited a 1999 RX300 (with 16,000 miles). It doesn't have roof rails, and I'd like to add them, but Web searches turn up only aftermarket kits that require drilling holes in the roof. Is there a source for OEM roof rails that don't require drilling holes?
Thanks,
Martin
There are only two ways of attaching a carrier to the roof. One that grabs to the drain channel and the other is drilled on to the roof. Since the drain channels are not exposed in RX (smooth lines), you are left with the only option of drilling it to the roof-top.

If you decide to go with a drill option, invest in a good carrier as you want the best possible hardware to prevent leaks.

I would suggest adding a hitch and pulling a small trailer. With the hitch, you can even have various attachments made specific to your need.

I have seen some pictures of make shift roof carriers which clamp the door edge. They can damage the seal and the roof lining.

Salim
Old 01-21-10, 06:10 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

Go to ebay and enter "RX300 roof". There are two pair for auction right now ($30 -$90).
Old 01-21-10, 06:21 PM
martinb820
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bob2200
Welcome to Club Lexus.

I think I need to clarify my definitions. There are the channels that hold the roof racks, that run from front to back on both sides of the roof. Then, there are the two roof rack bars, that run from left to right side of the RX, that fit into the channels. These two OEM roof rack bars have ***** on them that tighten them down to the channel, once you get them in the position you want.

The realistic options for purchasing are eBay and auto recyclers (i.e., junk yards), or both since a lot of recyclers sell on eBay.

Note that the rated weight limit for the roof top bars is only something like 70pounds, so it is not intended for heavy loads.
Thanks for the clarification. The car does have the channels, but nothing else. Are there any aftermarket bars that would fit the existing channels, and look OK?
Old 01-21-10, 08:19 PM
salimshah

So you do have the rails [front to back near the doors] and need slats [they run across] . You dont need to drill any thing in this case ... simply look for the missing hardware on ebay etc.

Salim
Old 01-23-10, 05:31 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

you inherited a RX with 16,000 miles??? LUCKY!
Old 01-23-10, 10:38 PM
martinb820
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 99rx
you inherited a RX with 16,000 miles??? LUCKY!
Yes, 16K. It's in showroom condition except for some scratches on the bumpers. It has 4wd, limited slip, heated seats, premium package, but doesn't have the spoiler or roof rack. A time machine on four wheels...
Old 01-24-10, 10:07 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

Depending on when in 1999 the car was produced, it could have either the first generation "roof rack" (with 4-5 bumper strips going from front to back between the rails at either side) or the second generation (with no bumper rails). The two crossbar sets shown on e-bay fit the second generation - I don't know if they fit the first generation - they may.
Old 01-24-10, 10:15 AM
salimshah

^^ The very early '99 had front to back strips [scuff protection]. Some owners thought they can put stuff directly on top of those strips and the roof could not support the weight. Lexus quickly stopped [If I am not mistaken, just like Toyota, the add on were attached some where in middle-east and not in Japan].

Salim
Old 06-27-11, 06:34 AM
DrDan
Rookie

I have a 2003 RX300 with roof rack. I also have a 17 foot fiberglass canoe about 100 pounds. I used to haul around the canoe with a MB 300SD with clamp-on roof top carriers. Now with the RX, I have a few concerns. The front to back distance between the cross bars is only a few feet. With a17 foot canoe, they become more of a pivot point rather than a stable support. With no front or rear tie downs, I fear that the canoe (hauled upside down, will capture the air coming up over the windshield and "inflate" the canoe with 55+ mph air pressure tearing it off the roof. If I built a cradle to hold the canoe right side up, that pressure would be greatly reduced. Still no front and back tie downs to prevent lifting. I have a trailer hitch, but no trailer. I was thinking of buying a "T" type gizmo that goes into the hitch where the "T" is a third cross member. With a little jury rigging, I might be able to get this to work. So, the bottom line is that I'd like to take the canoe relatively short distances, about 20 miles, but am afraid to actually try it. I am concerned about the lifting and the strength of the carrier to not rip off. Does anyone have any experience with a situation such as mine?

Dr Dan
Old 06-27-11, 07:35 AM
georgie39
Rookie

Not to depart from the subject.......
But do any forum members know where I can purchase the little "tie-down eyes" that slip into the slots in the roof rails so you can have some means of securing items on the roof. They are moveable so you can slide them back and forth in the rails.
I have a 2002 RX and although I might never use them, they might come in handy just in case.
Thanks' in advance for any input.
Old 06-27-11, 01:26 PM
jasonodsky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DrDan
I have a 2003 RX300 with roof rack. I also have a 17 foot fiberglass canoe about 100 pounds. I used to haul around the canoe with a MB 300SD with clamp-on roof top carriers. Now with the RX, I have a few concerns. The front to back distance between the cross bars is only a few feet. With a17 foot canoe, they become more of a pivot point rather than a stable support. With no front or rear tie downs, I fear that the canoe (hauled upside down, will capture the air coming up over the windshield and "inflate" the canoe with 55+ mph air pressure tearing it off the roof. If I built a cradle to hold the canoe right side up, that pressure would be greatly reduced. Still no front and back tie downs to prevent lifting. I have a trailer hitch, but no trailer. I was thinking of buying a "T" type gizmo that goes into the hitch where the "T" is a third cross member. With a little jury rigging, I might be able to get this to work. So, the bottom line is that I'd like to take the canoe relatively short distances, about 20 miles, but am afraid to actually try it. I am concerned about the lifting and the strength of the carrier to not rip off. Does anyone have any experience with a situation such as mine?

Dr Dan
Dr Dan, the rule of thumb is if your load is going past your windshield, you should secure it with a front tie downs. You really should use them for your application. Your idea of a hitch mount third point is a good one but most are made for pickups to extend the bed two feet above the hitch, not for a load 5 feet in the air. You may have to get something custom welded to insert into your hitch and it would probably wobble side to side just from the slop in the hitch receiver.

Quick Reply: RX300 OEM roof rails