RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 HID Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-10, 10:23 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RX300 HID Conversion

Hey has anyone done a HID conversion that can help me out with my RX? I wanna do the low, high, and fogs. And also change the bulb in the back license plate holder to a white color so it matches.

What all do i need. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-22-10, 12:05 PM
ivan1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well the thing is do you want to do a proper set up or just buy a HID kit. cuz what i did was buy a kit. as for highbeams go i dont think you want HId highbeams because they will never work because HIDs have to heat up so you couldn't just flash them, as for foglights go i honestly wouldn't put Hids in as fog lights simply because it's a really small area where out housing is and it will get hot i think. but if you want to do the entire retrofit process then search the forum it's been done before. i can show you some pictures of waht my car looks like with HIDs just pm me.
Old 01-22-10, 12:34 PM
2000LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Beware of the license plate light, the bolts in mine rusted and it is a pain to get them out.
Old 01-22-10, 09:57 PM
ivan1
Driver

yepp. one bolt was rusted. i ended up drilling it out and putting another one in. was the biggest pain in the *** because i almost drilled through the damn plastic housing itself but luckily it went well. regardless, so worth it for the LED look i think.
Old 01-24-10, 07:30 AM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i changed my low and fogs to 8000k hid kit. had them on for a couple of months and they are still working. i put led bulbs on all the small bulb sockets in the interior and exterior like the the side markers, parking lights, dome light, and license plate lights. i want to change the high beams to hid too and would change them soon.
Old 01-24-10, 08:32 AM
jetblk328i
Driver School Candidate

I am about to do the low beams as well.

I want to get the kit from HIDXTRA as they seem to be working ok and are priced very nicely.

zombie, since you have done the conversion, i hope you dont mind me asking a few questions.

1. Does the RX300 need a relay?
2. Where did you mount your ballasts?
3. Is it easy to access the bulbs or do you have to take some stuff off and move them around?
4. I presume you are using your OEM halogen headlights. How is the beam pattern/glare?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-10, 06:58 PM
ivan1
Driver

i got my HIDs from DDMtuning.com plug and play. was about 70$ since i got the 55w kit. the 35w kit is even cheaper. i mounted one ballast on my abs module, the other on my battery.
Old 01-24-10, 07:20 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jetblk328i
I am about to do the low beams as well.

I want to get the kit from HIDXTRA as they seem to be working ok and are priced very nicely.

zombie, since you have done the conversion, i hope you dont mind me asking a few questions.

1. Does the RX300 need a relay?
2. Where did you mount your ballasts?
3. Is it easy to access the bulbs or do you have to take some stuff off and move them around?
4. I presume you are using your OEM halogen headlights. How is the beam pattern/glare?

Thanks!
1. i didnt use a relay.
2. i mounted low and fog ballast in the area above wheel wells. its out of the way from the engine heat and it hasnt overheated.
3. its easy you just have to be patient and careful.
4. beam pattern/glare isn’t too bad. i can see perfectly fine and oncoming traffic don’t flash their high beams at me, so i guess im not blinding anyone. i also fixed the angle by facing my garage door and lower the low beam screw position.
im still debating on buying projector headlight on ebay though.
Old 01-24-10, 08:14 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think instead of HIDs ill go with a higher wattage white for the high and low and a yellow for the fogs....anyone have any suggestions on brands?
Old 01-25-10, 07:33 AM
zombie
Lead Lap

my friend was using sylvania silverstar ultra and when he drove by i thought they were hids.
Old 01-25-10, 12:23 PM
ivan1
Driver

Originally Posted by robertrios
i think instead of HIDs ill go with a higher wattage white for the high and low and a yellow for the fogs....anyone have any suggestions on brands?
silver start ultra for low beam, get them at any pep boys or autozone. ZIZA yellow foglights, reall bright yellow, get them from ECStuning.com under search bar on top right type in ZIZA and they will come up. my highbeams are just a random brang that i bought off ebay but if you can find 9005 silverstar bulbs they will be bright as hell.
Old 01-25-10, 12:36 PM
2000LEX
Lexus Test Driver

I have silver stars in my Rx now and one of the techs at the Lexus dealer thought i had hid's
As dor the fogs i painted them yellow, looks jdm
Old 01-25-10, 12:48 PM
jetblk328i
Driver School Candidate

hmm so what should i get, 4500K hid or silverstars?

I dont mind doing some wiring for the hid kit as long as i see the best results
Old 01-25-10, 08:35 PM
ivan1
Driver

so i had silverstar ultra's before i got hid's they were just as bright as my buddy's stock audi 35w HIDs. i recently bought a kit that is 55w 8000K and that is twice as bright as my silverstars. no wiring involved. plug and play, glare isn't anyhitng serious but i can see so much further and wider and everythign is just bright. i love it. check this out you even get lifetime warranty so why not and it's under 100 bucks but i definetaly recommend gettign the 55w kit. since its 55W the 8000k looks like 6000k because the 55w is brighter. i can email some pictures if you want. heres the site

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...d=102&parent=0

select on your right: 55w, 9006 bulb, what ever bulbtemp you want.
Old 01-26-10, 01:11 PM
jetblk328i
Driver School Candidate

hmm, 55w sounds nice but i'm afraid of the possible extra heat it generates. Do you have a picture of the beam pattern? I presume that you are using the HID for lows and on stock headlamps? I don't want to blind everyone.

Quick Reply: RX300 HID Conversion