RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

lexus dealer suggested $1000 repair after free check; should I go?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-10 | 04:51 PM
peachberry
Driver School Candidate

Default lexus dealer suggested $1000 repair after free check; should I go?

I went to Lexus dealer for a free 40 points vehicle inspection today. They
suggested the following repairment:

1) power steering fluid flush: $130 (0.8 hour?)

2) spark plugs replacement: $295 (2.0 hours?)

3) timing belt: $495 (4.0 hours?)

total quote would be $920.

My car is 2002 lexus RX300, with 67800 miles.

Was this quote reasonable? Should I go for it? Thanks.
Old 01-23-10 | 05:17 PM
99rx
Instructor

Dont really worry all that much about the power steering flush.
Spark plugs, you might want to consider them doing it since they are so hard to get to.
Timing belt, NO WAY, you still have at least, if not more, 21,000 miles to go on that. The mileage to get that replaced is 90,000 miles. So really only the spark plugs if you want. But if its running fine then there is no need till around the timing belt time to change them. Have fun! 99RX
Old 01-23-10 | 05:37 PM
bob2200
Driver

I took a previous car to the Saturn dealer for a free 100-point inspection. They suggested numerous repairs. When I took it in later, under a Saturn extended warranty, they really changed their tune on what needed to be done.

If the power steering fluid is pretty dark, I'd consider that a possibility.

The spark plugs are listed in the owner's manual as being replaced at 120,000 miles (or 8 years). I think most people would go to 100,000-120,000 miles, regardless of age.

The timing belt is listed at 90,000 miles (or 6 years). Most people I've read here lean toward at least 90,000 miles, almost regardless of age.

I have a 2002 RX300 with 81,000 miles. I have replaced the power steering fluid myself. I think I will have the spark plugs replaced at maybe 120,000 miles and the timing belt between 90,000 and 100,000 miles.
Old 01-23-10 | 06:07 PM
peachberry
Driver School Candidate

The service guy told me my car's P/S fluid is dirty and suggested to flush it. I'm
wondering whether $130 charge is reasonable. Or maybe I should go to Toyota
dealership instead.
Old 01-23-10 | 06:26 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

These "free" checkups, of course, aren't free - are they! As a rule, none of these services should be needed at only 60k.
Old 01-23-10 | 06:41 PM
2000LEX
Lexus Test Driver

you should tell them to kick rocks your car doent need any thing with those miles.
Old 01-23-10 | 06:52 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

That mileage... none of those required. They would be done purely if your 401K savings took a big gain in these bag times and you want to support a stimulus to the economy.
Old 01-23-10 | 06:56 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

The only thing in that list even worth considering is the steering fluid. If you think it needs done, just get a turkey baster and suck the old out and top it back off. Do that a couple of times and it will be clean.
Old 01-24-10 | 12:01 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by peachberry

They must have taken a look at your bank account and seen that it had at least $1K. in it. My professional opinion is that it needs NONE of those things done at this time or in any very near future. Nothing wrong with changing the PS fluid if you have an extra $130. laying around that you have no idea what to do with. MOST people never change the PS fluid in the life of the vehicle and plenty of those vehicles go to the grave yard in the sky with the original PS pump AND fluid. Toyota says the Iridium spark plugs (some of the best plugs I have ever seen in my life!) are good for 120K mi. I say they will look in excellent shape at 120K mi. and if driven open road miles, they will easily go 200K mi. Short trips, (around town, stop and go) I would change them before the 120K mi., but my DIL's looked in beautiful shape at 97k mi. and that is NOT open road driving. Iridium is the hardest metal known to man, it's not much wonder they don't wear. It's your money, spend it as you wish, but not because Lexus needs a new expresso machine in their waiting room.
Old 01-24-10 | 02:11 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by code58
They must have taken a look at your bank account and seen that it had at least $1K. in it. My professional opinion is that it needs NONE of those things done at this time or in any very near future. Nothing wrong with changing the PS fluid if you have an extra $130. laying around that you have no idea what to do with. MOST people never change the PS fluid in the life of the vehicle and plenty of those vehicles go to the grave yard in the sky with the original PS pump AND fluid. Toyota says the Iridium spark plugs (some of the best plugs I have ever seen in my life!) are good for 120K mi. I say they will look in excellent shape at 120K mi. and if driven open road miles, they will easily go 200K mi. Short trips, (around town, stop and go) I would change them before the 120K mi., but my DIL's looked in beautiful shape at 97k mi. and that is NOT open road driving. Iridium is the hardest metal known to man, it's not much wonder they don't wear. It's your money, spend it as you wish, but not because Lexus needs a new expresso machine in their waiting room.
As discussed previously, Toyota designed those plugs to go at least 200k miles and they do unless they have a very unusual failure. God, I hate Lexus dealerships! How do they live with themselves recommending maintenance that isn't even due according to the car's manual? And, we know that most Lexus maintenance items are not required until well past the manual recommendation.
Old 01-24-10 | 10:41 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by peachberry

ps-fluid (60k-75k) Get a turkey baster and suck out the current fluid. Add fresh fluid. Run 4 weeks. Repeat once or twice till the color is like fresh. [cost less than $15].

Spark plugs: Replace at 110k miles. Not needed now

Timing belt at 90k not needed now.

Salim.
Old 01-24-10 | 02:03 PM
2000LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by artbuc
As discussed previously, Toyota designed those plugs to go at least 200k miles and they do unless they have a very unusual failure. God, I hate Lexus dealerships! How do they live with themselves recommending maintenance that isn't even due according to the car's manual? And, we know that most Lexus maintenance items are not required until well past the manual recommendation.
I hate dealers too, but i had a 100 dollar credit at a lexus dealer so i brought my car in there asking what can be done and they couldnt find anything. My car at the time had 120000k on it. After they said nothing needs to be done i went back there and personally had them check the diff and transfercase as well, they were a lil dirty but not bad. So it seems the lexus dealer Peachberry brought his car to is ran by con men, because not all dealers are bad. Just most.
Old 01-25-10 | 04:00 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2000LEX
I hate dealers too, but i had a 100 dollar credit at a lexus dealer so i brought my car in there asking what can be done and they couldnt find anything. My car at the time had 120000k on it. After they said nothing needs to be done i went back there and personally had them check the diff and transfercase as well, they were a lil dirty but not bad. So it seems the lexus dealer Peachberry brought his car to is ran by con men, because not all dealers are bad. Just most.

I hope there are some honest Lexus dealerships out there. I have only experienced two and they have both been extremely dishonest on multiple occasions. I couple that with stories we here on this forum about stripped oil plug threads and recommendations to change spark plugs at 68k. My main issue is that Lexus claims to be so quality and customer oriented. They market themselves to be so much better than the rest. When I bought my first Lexus I had high expectations. Now I realize that they are no better than any other dealership. You can't assume they will be honest with you. You have to educate yourself and ask tough questions.
Old 01-25-10 | 07:26 AM
peachberry
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys for the advices. I won't go to the dealer's for these, at least
not now.

However, I did notice that both the engine and VSC lights came up at the same
time one week ago. Somebody at the Autozone helped to read the code which showed "COOLANT. TEMPERATURE BELOW THERMOSTAT. REGULATING TEMPERATURE". I forgot to ask him the exact code number. He also cleared
the code for me and now these engine and VSC lights were off after a couple
of days drive. My question is what if these lights come up again?
Old 01-25-10 | 10:24 AM
salimshah

Next time the light comes up, have it read and post here?

Dont paint yourself in a corner by going down the line of "what if ...".

Salim

Quick Reply: lexus dealer suggested $1000 repair after free check; should I go?