RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

trans fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-10, 08:41 PM
ivan1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans fluid?

so i'm just wondering how often do you guys change your trans fluid? i just got to 106,xxx and should i start changing the fluid with synthetic fluid every two oil changes (10k miles)? i just want it to be healthy and last me. since i'm a BACK...
Old 02-21-10, 09:58 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

I personally change it every 15k miles.
Some do it every 30k.
I use only Toyota T-IV fluid from the dealer.

Color should be bright red and sweet smelling.
Old 02-22-10, 07:01 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

15K is about what I've been doing. It's about 15K since I got back from Mexico and I switched out to Amsoil ATF at that time, which I think is a step above the Toyota Type IV (at least for my bad driving habits).

I am going to give everyone a bit of a revelation, I may not be going with Amsoil the next time around. Nothing I'd say is wrong here with it, just that I may want to experiment with a different synthetic ATF just as I've done with other fluids.

I already have my tranny filter and gasket ready and just need to order or pick up some fluid and I am going to choose among the following ATFs for a test next time: Eneos, Mobil 1, Redline, Royal Purple and Wolf's Head. I know there's a few people on the forum using some of these fluids so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts so far if you're using one of the ones I just mentioned.
Old 02-22-10, 07:50 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 315 Likes on 274 Posts

LexMex:

Given the popularity/availability with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, I'd be interested if you decide on that, or if anyone else has had significant experience with it. I've been running Mobile 1 for about 40,000 miles now (since a flush at 95,000).

Fingers crossed!
Old 02-22-10, 08:44 AM
EnzoRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexmex,

I am with sktn77a too. I too would be interested if you decide to go with the Mobil1 ATF. I bought a quart to use as my power steering fluid. The Mobil1 ATF does not smell "sweet" like Toyota Type T-IV. It actually smells awful compared to T-IV.

I just bought a case of T-IV recently, so once I have used it all up I may also switch over to Mobil1 ATF.

Let us know what you decide to run. Thanks, Lexmex.
Old 02-22-10, 09:22 AM
ivan1
Driver

i've been using wolfs head and it's doing well i think atleast because i'm what you call a "spirited" driver, but not 24/7. any one else using wolfs head?
Old 02-22-10, 10:00 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

[QUOTE=ivan1;5250465]i've been using wolfs head and it's doing well i think atleast because i'm what you call a "spirited" driver, but not 24/7. any one else using wolfs head?[/QUOTE]

I used it in my 2001 RX,and was very satisfied on how it firmed up the lazy shifts.
Old 02-22-10, 11:11 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I'll keep all your comments in mind. I do have a slight frontrunner among the ones I mentioned (not including Amsoil), but I'll likely decide upon within the next week. I'm initially going to go only with 4 quarts and changing the filter, same as I did with Amsoil's change over about 2 years ago (because if something sucks, I don't want to blow any more $$$ on it).

I have to keep mind, too, and I have to remind myself, that my transmission is modified/upgraded and given my torque converter is, too, (and runs hotter), I've been paying very close attention to chemistry and numbers.

Interesting on Mobil 1 ATF. For years, I always had access to it, but never the one that covered Type IV. I do however remember there were a husband and wife diplomatic group that brought their Harriers over from Asia (that was a very unique sight in Mexico) and they actually used Mobil 1 ATF (prior to it being approved for Type IV), but I never found out how that turned how for them until they moved to South America for their next tour of duty. Wolf's Head does have a unique plus for me in the fact that it is a Florida company, just like the Restore Oil additive that is based out of Ft. Lauderdale among other Florida lubricant companies.

I been reading a lot on BITOG regarding comparisons and UOAs (where I can find them).
Old 02-22-10, 04:57 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

Love Royal Purple Max ATF. I have it in the RX and our Camry. I cannot tell any difference between RP and Amsoil.

The only reason I changed from Amsoil to RP was seeing what the RP gear lube did. I could be way off, but I thought....Gees! If the ATF is as good as the gear lub, I'm in.
Old 02-22-10, 05:42 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

I do it 2x a year when I do an oil change. Very much overkill, but costs $20 a pop and adds 15 minutes to the oil change. A "flush" from the dealer is $150 so I figure it's roughly the same cost as having the dealer do it every 4 years or so, but this way my fluid is always clean.

Last edited by carguy07; 06-12-10 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-23-10, 06:53 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by carguy07
I do it 2x a year when I do an oil change. Very much overkill, but costs $20 a pop and adds 15 minutes to the oil change. A "flush" from the dealer is $150 so I figure it's roughly the same cost as having the sealer do it every 4 years or so, but this way my fluid is always clean.
I'm not sure what Type IV is going for now at the dealer, but in Mexico I was getting it for 45 pesos, which at 10 to 1 equivalent to the dollar was $4.50, but at the time I was there, this pushed it under $4 USD a quart, and I had a Toyota dealer within walking distance both from the last place I worked and also in my neighborhood where I lived, and it was as you say very easy to do about every 6 months. For sure, It's easier than an oil change as long as you don't change out the filter.
Old 02-25-10, 05:47 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I'm going to let the cat out of the bag, the one I'm going to try this time is Redline D4,

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=51&pcid=9

I'm supposed to get it today and if it gets a bit warmer (it's 63 and chance of rain), I'll change out the fluid and filter.

I'm going to elaborate later why I chose this fluid to try.
Old 06-12-10, 10:03 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Ron,
How was the Redline D4 ATF? Is it worthy to clean the torque converter? I will replace Rear Main Seal after the 4th of july weekend. Thanks.
Old 06-13-10, 03:46 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gazi001
Hi Ron,
How was the Redline D4 ATF? Is it worthy to clean the torque converter? I will replace Rear Main Seal after the 4th of july weekend. Thanks.
The Redline's been working just fine, though I'll have to run it about 2 years or the equivalent mileage (same time as I ran the Amsoil) to see how it fares.

The torque converter you really can't clean per se. It doesn't have a plug like say the torque convert plug you might see on a Mercedes.

Last time I had the tranny out of the vehicle, I had the converter opened up and modified to a high stall.
Old 06-13-10, 06:43 PM
salimshah

Received 1,069 Likes on 962 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
The torque converter you really can't clean per se.
I think the question is ... can the two fluids coexist ... or one has to purge all fluid out (even from the TC)

Salim

Quick Reply: trans fluid?