RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Timing Belt Kit On Ebay.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-10, 08:14 PM
knocker
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing Belt Kit On Ebay.....

I thought i would share this with other DIYers. I will be doing this job soon
and looks like a good price to get everything at once.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RX300...Q5fAccessories
Old 02-26-10, 08:15 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Not a bad price at all. I say go for it
Old 02-26-10, 08:41 PM
silvertn35
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not too bad for everything together
Old 02-26-10, 11:33 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by knocker
I thought i would share this with other DIYers. I will be doing this job soon
and looks like a good price to get everything at once.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RX300...Q5fAccessories
That's an outstanding deal, and especially since ALL the parts are OEM, NOT aftermarket. I got the vert best price I could find online on OEM parts when I did my DIL's and I did not meet those prices. I don't need any parts now, but they're just about 20 miles down the freeway from me, down by where my son and DIL live. I originally used a Goodyear Gatorback TB because I always thought GG were top notch parts. I have to say I was very disappointed in it and replaced it with an OEM belt after about 30k mi. Only OEM for me from now on!
Old 02-27-10, 09:11 AM
salimshah

Received 1,061 Likes on 957 Posts

I read it as OEM equivalent or better. By default they would not be used by Lexus (if it mattes).

Salim
Old 02-27-10, 10:22 AM
GSteg
Rookie

It's used by Lexus because those are identical parts to OEM. It just doesn't come with a fancy red/white Toyota box and a 200% markup
Old 02-27-10, 12:50 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by salimshah
I read it as OEM equivalent or better. By default they would not be used by Lexus (if it mattes).

Salim
Salim- these are the exact parts that Lexus uses to build the car. As stated, they do not come in a Toyota box (since virtually all Lexus parts do). I have bought parts in the past that were clearly the EXACT part from the manufacturer that makes them for T/L, but came in a plain white box with only a part # on it. The manufacturer is able to sell them outside of the Toyota parts channel that way for a good deal less money. Trust me, the parts shown are the exact parts T/L uses, not just equivalent. When I bought an OEM water pump it came in the Aisin box and the OEM TB pulleys came in their Koyo boxes, and the IACV came in the Aisin box. All OEM parts from the manufacturer, just not through the T/L parts system and not in a box that says Toyota on it and not with the Toyota mark-up. (the best part)
Old 02-27-10, 01:52 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
Salim- these are the exact parts that Lexus uses to build the car. As stated, they do not come in a Toyota box (since virtually all Lexus parts do). I have bought parts in the past that were clearly the EXACT part from the manufacturer that makes them for T/L, but came in a plain white box with only a part # on it. The manufacturer is able to sell them outside of the Toyota parts channel that way for a good deal less money. Trust me, the parts shown are the exact parts T/L uses, not just equivalent. When I bought an OEM water pump it came in the Aisin box and the OEM TB pulleys came in their Koyo boxes, and the IACV came in the Aisin box. All OEM parts from the manufacturer, just not through the T/L parts system and not in a box that says Toyota on it and not with the Toyota mark-up. (the best part)
Ditto. In fact, some Koyo tensioner pulleys will come with a strange looking machine mark on the yoke casting. After considerable research, I discovered the machining was done to remove the Toyota Part # which was part of the original casting.
Old 02-28-10, 12:58 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by artbuc
Ditto. In fact, some Koyo tensioner pulleys will come with a strange looking machine mark on the yoke casting. After considerable research, I discovered the machining was done to remove the Toyota Part # which was part of the original casting.
Art- From what I remember (my hard drive is getting a little full so it doesn't retain ALL the details that it did when I was a little younger), the Aisin W/P , which came in an Aisin box, said Aisin in raised letters on the pump, but where it would have had a raised "Toyota" on it, that had been milled off. They make it, they can sell it, just not in a Toyota box or with the Toyota name cast onto it. I wouldn't have thought anything about it, because it was nicely milled off, but the old pump which was exactly the same, still had the "Toyota" in raised letters in that spot. You can buy Toyota TB's and some other parts from aftermarket sources in the Toyota packaging, but you pay a premium for the packaging you're going to throw away. I didn't have to show my Mensa member card to know that wasn't the way to go.
Old 02-28-10, 04:49 AM
salimshah

Received 1,061 Likes on 957 Posts

Glad that you guys did the research. I was simply stating what I read. I guess they had to state "equivalent or BETTER ".

The other disturbing thing was '98 to ??. There is no 98 RX300. We all can make a mistake.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 02-28-10 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-28-10, 06:03 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Yes sometimes they make a mistake on the year, but as long as the part number matches up, then it's all good to go! Can't tell you how many times I've been able to save money by buying Koyo bearings ($40) vs $80 from the dealership. It takes more time to search for the parts, but in the end, you're saving a lot of money. Good thing about ebay is that they've already compiled everything for you.
Old 03-01-10, 01:02 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by salimshah
Glad that you guys did the research. I was simply stating what I read. I guess they had to state "equivalent or BETTER ".

The other disturbing thing was '98 to ??. There is no 98 RX300. We all can make a mistake.

Salim
Right Salim, it was registered as a '99 but in fact they started to build fairly early in '98. I don't remember the exact month on my DIL's '99 but I believe it says about May of '98, an early one. I'll have to take a look again when I have the car next. Pretty sure that's why they often list '98 build when your looking for parts.
Old 03-01-10, 01:08 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Yes GS, there is even a wider spread than that. When I bought them for my DIL's RX I paid about $21. for the upper idler that listed for about $90. and about $27. for the lower idler w/brkt that listed for close to $100. at that time. OEM Koyo's in the Koyo boxes.