RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

List what you've done to prevent transmission failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-10, 05:54 PM
silvertn35
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think driving habits has a lot to do with it also. I never even touch the shifter unless I'm at a complete stop. I have noticed that when the transmission is cold it stays in gear a little longer than it should. Today if I remember correctly from 2nd to 3rd it stayed in gear till like 3,500 rpm I was only at like 20% throttle , it waited untill I let off the throttle before it shifted . It's the first time it's happened and hoping it's not a bad sign
Old 02-27-10, 06:45 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Nad1370
^^ Ditto....

Pretty funny since I just changed my engine and trans oil 2 hours ago.

Bought my RX w/ 115k. Got 158k now.
Original trans still shifts like butter. No signs of slipping (knock on wood)
Factory T-V fluid every 15k. Just drain and fill.

I'll be rockn' 200k soon.
I'm at about 146K right now and I'm always interested to hear from RX owners near the same mileage.
Old 02-27-10, 06:47 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by silvertn35
I think driving habits has a lot to do with it also. I never even touch the shifter unless I'm at a complete stop. I have noticed that when the transmission is cold it stays in gear a little longer than it should. Today if I remember correctly from 2nd to 3rd it stayed in gear till like 3,500 rpm I was only at like 20% throttle , it waited untill I let off the throttle before it shifted . It's the first time it's happened and hoping it's not a bad sign
This is an interesting point you bring up about 2nd to 3rd. When I used to drag race in Mexico (I'd be killed by a certain female member of the family if I did it now), the 2nd to 3rd changeover would be the one I'd notice the most roughness or noise. When I'd change out the gear oil in the transfer case and rear differential I would see improvement here. When I'd be out on the highway going very high speed, I'd often let off the accelerator a bit as you describe to force the gear change. It happens.
Old 02-27-10, 06:56 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by blueridge
I use RP and like it a lot. I have it in the RX and our Camry. I switched the RX over from Amsoil but couldn't tell a difference. The Camry was switched from OEM. There was a noticeable difference in both vehicles when switching from OEM although I did notice more improvement for the RX.

You'll be happy with either and a few others out there such as Redline. I think it come down to availability in your area. For me, I can get RP and Amsoil within 1/4 mile of each other.

I have found that Amazon has great price on RP. $118 for a case and free shipping, that's about $9.83/qt with no sales tax, shipping, or leaving your house.
I used Amazon for my Redline D4 and got free shipping since it was over $25 for the 4 quarts I needed.

I took another spin with the RX today and the thing I do notice with Redline is the 1st to 2nd switch over is like gliding over ice, very smooth, my 2nd to 3rd is not quite a glide, but then again it never was no matter what I used and it's been different since returning to sea level and after the transmission modifications of two years ago.
Old 02-27-10, 07:15 PM
silvertn35
Rookie

LexMex , what are you running right now tranny wise?
metal or paper filter? what fluid are you currently using? and do you have an aftermarket cooler like the kind I installed? there are installed pics on the first page.
Old 02-27-10, 07:29 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

LexMex , what are you running right now tranny wise?
metal or paper filter? what fluid are you currently using? and do you have an aftermarket cooler like the kind I installed? there are installed pics on the first page.
Paper filter.

I just dumped in 4 quarts of Redline D4 yesterday and previous to that there was Amsoil ATF in there for about 2 years.

I have a the factory-installed tranny cooler, but what I did in Mexico was to remove the windshield wiper fluid reservoir that obscured most of the tranny cooler. The tranny cooler in later generations of the RX series is located on the driver's side, but it was on the passenger side in the RX300.

You can see in the third picture down how the reservoir obscured the cooler.
Attached Thumbnails List what you've done to prevent transmission failure-backoftrannyfluidcooler.jpg   List what you've done to prevent transmission failure-img_2289.jpg   List what you've done to prevent transmission failure-img_2202.jpg   List what you've done to prevent transmission failure-img_2278.jpg  
Old 02-27-10, 07:35 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Paper and metal filters.
Attached Thumbnails List what you've done to prevent transmission failure-img_2826.jpg   List what you've done to prevent transmission failure-img_0677.jpg   List what you've done to prevent transmission failure-img_0789.jpg   List what you've done to prevent transmission failure-img_0799.jpg  
Old 02-27-10, 07:44 PM
silvertn35
Rookie

did you like the amsoil and how well did it hold up for those two years? is it only the AWD model that has that factory cooler? because mine is a FWD and I have never seen that. Thats why I opted for the aftermarket Flexalite cooler.
Old 02-27-10, 07:57 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

did you like the amsoil and how well did it hold up for those two years? is it only the AWD model that has that factory cooler? because mine is a FWD and I have never seen that. Thats why I opted for the aftermarket Flexalite cooler.
As far as I know yes on the cooler and AWD.

I did like the Amsoil but didn't get to test my vehicle the same way when I was in Mexico. It was a definite improvement over the Type IV fluid. Again, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the synthetics mentioned. For me, it came down to if I was going to run a test of something other than Amsoil it came down to Redline or Royal Purple.
Old 02-27-10, 08:06 PM
silvertn35
Rookie

sounds good thanks for all of the info. Now i just need to decide if i want to switch to a paper filter next time around. Got a part number for it by any chance?
Old 02-28-10, 06:22 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like having the metal screen inside the tranny. Last time in there I added two magnets to catch mere metal particles, and I added a external tranny filter, that thomas1 did to his RX, so far 98k and going strong
Old 02-28-10, 06:48 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JohnLX300
I like having the metal screen inside the tranny. Last time in there I added two magnets to catch mere metal particles, and I added a external tranny filter, that thomas1 did to his RX, so far 98k and going strong
It goes exactly to what I was saying, we don't know, but any preventative measures are good here. I worry more about tranny fluid issues than I do engine oil/sludge issues.
Old 02-28-10, 06:52 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

sounds good thanks for all of the info. Now i just need to decide if i want to switch to a paper filter next time around. Got a part number for it by any chance?
I'll tell you what I used this time around and at a cost savings and I didn't see a difference between my last tranny filter and the one I put in on Friday,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Beck Arnley mostly sells repackaged items that cost significantly more. I got some Axxis Deluxe brake pads via Amazon this same way by ordering it under Beck Arnley.

There are certain items that I would tell you to make sure to order Denso OEM parts such as the A/F, O2 sensors and MAF among others, but I took a good look at both filters and saw nothing different whatsoever. It even came with the rubber gasket rather than that crappy cork one.
Old 02-28-10, 07:46 AM
silvertn35
Rookie

Wow thank you that's a great price.
Old 02-28-10, 10:34 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a 99 rx and it is not awd and i have a factory installed cooler right behind the washer fluid. So i figured everyone had one and i was puzzled to see that you bought ANOTHER one to keep it cooler. But i must be wrong.

Quick Reply: List what you've done to prevent transmission failure