RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

List what you've done to prevent transmission failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-10, 10:44 AM
silvertn35
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If that's true then Mine must have been removed at some point because there is nothing there.
Old 02-28-10, 10:46 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 99rx
I have a 99 rx and it is not awd and i have a factory installed cooler right behind the washer fluid. So i figured everyone had one and i was puzzled to see that you bought ANOTHER one to keep it cooler. But i must be wrong.
There was a tranny package they had for towing (towing prep or something like that) and it was the cooler and something else about the radiator that escapes me (like enlarged or more durable, something like that).
Old 03-18-10, 08:28 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe it was a heavy duty charging system (alternator) that was included with the tow prep package on the 300.
Old 03-28-10, 08:21 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Thumbs up You Nailed Lexmex

You nailed it Bro,

I took delivery on Dec 24 1998 of my RX300 AWD, now 112K. I ordered roof rack Delete and the trailer package (larger radiator, larger alternator, trans cooler, trailer hitch & wiring plug. No chrome ball though (lol). I think the extra cost was $450.

Lexmix, I just did the plug change (& 1 coil) with the help of you excellent instructions and my new INNOVA 3130 OBD2 scanner (thank You big time). Tightened both valve covers (oil leaks). Now waiting for parts to change to HID lights for fog. Doing the MAP & throttle body cleaning (with your instructions) tomorrow.

I will also change the transfer & rear end fluids next week (never been done in 120k). Trans was flushed about 3 years ago. Why is it no linger recommended? Use of any other fluid was Verboten under penalty of trans death at that time also. I know see you now recommend other brands.

I hope to do the timing belt/water pump this summer. (Any on line instructions)?. Putting a air conditioner in the garage wall this hot FL summer to be able to work on my baby. Gotta keep her and make her last, things are rough money wise here in Ft Myers. Thanks again.

Jerry
Old 03-29-10, 05:55 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jerry Stil
You nailed it Bro,

I took delivery on Dec 24 1998 of my RX300 AWD, now 112K. I ordered roof rack Delete and the trailer package (larger radiator, larger alternator, trans cooler, trailer hitch & wiring plug. No chrome ball though (lol). I think the extra cost was $450.

Lexmix, I just did the plug change (& 1 coil) with the help of you excellent instructions and my new INNOVA 3130 OBD2 scanner (thank You big time). Tightened both valve covers (oil leaks). Now waiting for parts to change to HID lights for fog. Doing the MAP & throttle body cleaning (with your instructions) tomorrow.

I will also change the transfer & rear end fluids next week (never been done in 120k). Trans was flushed about 3 years ago. Why is it no linger recommended? Use of any other fluid was Verboten under penalty of trans death at that time also. I know see you now recommend other brands.

I hope to do the timing belt/water pump this summer. (Any on line instructions)?. Putting a air conditioner in the garage wall this hot FL summer to be able to work on my baby. Gotta keep her and make her last, things are rough money wise here in Ft Myers. Thanks again.

Jerry
I know Ft. Myers well. I used to live in Bradenton about 2 years ago and every so often make my way over to my godfather's place in Marco Island.

The only time I would use the flush method is if you have some silvery/pinkish fluid (lots of residue) and you need to get that stuff really out of the system, but red or darkish fluid can go out via drain and fill. I had the silvery/pinkish fluid just over 6 years ago and had it flushed out at the dealer just south of you in Naples (Germain) on a trip from Mexico.

I haven't done the timing belt/water pump yet. I plan to do that in the future with a friend of my girlfriend's who's got a shop nearby, but I'm still about 40 to 50K away.
Old 03-30-10, 01:51 AM
Aprazur
Rookie

Cool

Lexmex,

Thanks for the timely response, and the PM. Although, I'm an ex mechanic from Detroit (60's) in the age of 10 sec. quarter mile times and midnight money drags on Woodward ave. I can relate to you racing your RX.

I worked for my dad doing engine rebuilds and auto trans repairs in his heavy repair garage. I also worked for FoMoCo Co for 5 years as a auto electrician before I fell into the real estate sales and later appraisal business.. Both are now dead in both Detroit & Florida.

Although I still have all of my tools and do my Lexus repairs for the personal satisfaction, and now also financial reasons. I am somewhat hesitant to tackle the timing belt change.

Its been a long time since I've done "heavy" auto repairs. Due to the damn engines now being in sideways and advanced technology. And my advanced (68) age. I might just take this one to the neighborhood garage. I would be working in my house/garage without a hoist. The job appears to be in very tight spaces. I've priced the parts including water pump ($275). The garage gave me a price of $600. A $325 savings. I'll have to give this some more thought. I hate to have anyone else work on my vehicles. Hmmmmm?

Kind regards,

Jerry
Old 03-30-10, 07:18 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jerry Stil
Lexmex,

Thanks for the timely response, and the PM. Although, I'm an ex mechanic from Detroit (60's) in the age of 10 sec. quarter mile times and midnight money drags on Woodward ave. I can relate to you racing your RX.

I worked for my dad doing engine rebuilds and auto trans repairs in his heavy repair garage. I also worked for FoMoCo Co for 5 years as a auto electrician before I fell into the real estate sales and later appraisal business.. Both are now dead in both Detroit & Florida.

Although I still have all of my tools and do my Lexus repairs for the personal satisfaction, and now also financial reasons. I am somewhat hesitant to tackle the timing belt change.

Its been a long time since I've done "heavy" auto repairs. Due to the damn engines now being in sideways and advanced technology. And my advanced (68) age. I might just take this one to the neighborhood garage. I would be working in my house/garage without a hoist. The job appears to be in very tight spaces. I've priced the parts including water pump ($275). The garage gave me a price of $600. A $325 savings. I'll have to give this some more thought. I hate to have anyone else work on my vehicles. Hmmmmm?

Kind regards,

Jerry
When I'm up for my next timing belt change, I'm actually going to take it to a mechanic nearby that works on my girlfriend's Ford Expedition and that we've known growing up for more than 25 years. I want to do a photo DIY with him. My Uncle Antonio in Mexico wanted to do this, but we done the timing belt with Lexus not too many years earlier (and not that much mileage ago). A lot of Lexus/Toyota mechanics will do the work on the side. It's one of those things that for some it's gone perfectly well on a DIY and for other they wind up with a code. Timing belts are one of the few things that bother me about mechanics. I'd do exhaust work myself if someone gave me a torch and tools.
Old 03-30-10, 08:35 PM
RayN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about adding a fan on the factory transmission cooler. I'm not sure if there is enough room. It will the fluid cooler.
Old 03-31-10, 05:56 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RayN
How about adding a fan on the factory transmission cooler. I'm not sure if there is enough room. It will the fluid cooler.
It's a possibilty. Not sure on the power drain. If I were to do that I could maybe take the wire that I sealed up that used to be for the front corner lights I removed and use that.
Old 08-01-10, 12:25 PM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tranny Cooling and Servicing to hopefully prevent premature failure

At almost 70,000 miles, Lexus replaced my problematic (but still functional) '99 2WD transmission with a brand new (not rebuilt) unit in 2004 under warranty after trying 2 rebuilt units that did not pass their tests. The new transmission doesn't beat up the fluid like the original did, and it shifts "enthusiastically". Thanks, Lexus.

As cheap insurance, I also installed a reduntant cooler which has a thermostatic bypass - in addition to the factory installed "tow package" cooler in the passenger front fender. With an exacto, I cut larger exhaust vents in the plastic inner fender liner to help get rid of excess heat. Then I installed a small 12 volt fan under the washer bottle, and an electonically adjustable Hayden fan thermostat set to the coolest setting (about 140 F). I couldn't fit a take-off fan from a motorcycle like I wanted to, so I just used a computer fan mounted with some metal brackets and used existing holes. I was advised not to mount the cooler conventionally in front of the radiator/condenser so I mounted it behind the factory cooler in the fender so the heat radiates away from the cooling system.

Finally, I change (rather, I have it done at a trusted shop) the fluid and mesh filter (the Lexus updated tranny did not come with a screen - it uses the paper mesh filter) at about each 15,000 miles or at least every other year when the fluid is still a nice pinkish-red and so far there has been no debris or film on the magnet/pan or filter, again unlike the original. I will only go to shops that use the specified type IV fluid (sorry fast lube shops), and remind the shop to have type IV ordered when I make the appointment. This mechanic in Canoga Park, CA gets it in Toyota bottles.

I wish this transmission in this car was a bit more stout. I'm used to manuals and would like to be able to downshift leading into corners, but I've been told that's a bad idea with this car, if I want it to last.

Last edited by LA4Mead; 08-01-10 at 12:36 PM.