RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2001 Rx300 Rotors and shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-10 | 12:49 PM
jagalchi88
Driver School Candidate

Default 2001 Rx300 Rotors and shocks

Hey guys!
I just saw a link under "rx300 DIY's" how to change the rotors and I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for rotors. Also, if anyone has recommendations for the shocks, please let me know. Thank you!
Old 03-03-10 | 12:53 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

For shocks, I like the KYB GR-2s (those are the same ones you saw in the DIY) and they did fine for the last few months I was in Mexico and work fine here in Florida. I'd have to say bit stiffer than the originals in my estimation.

For rotors, I'd have to defer as I'm still using OEM, but if I had to get some I'd probably be inclined to get some Rotora Slotted rotors, but I'd defer to others who have gotten something other than originals.
Old 03-03-10 | 01:01 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

I like Monroe`s. They give the best ride quality.
Old 03-03-10 | 01:04 PM
jagalchi88
Driver School Candidate

Thanks!
but do you know where i can get some OEM rotors?
i dont want to get OEM replacements... or are they the same?
Old 03-03-10 | 01:08 PM
JAB
Instructor

I recently rebuilt all 4 corners of the suspension on my 1999 RX300. The KYB GR-2 strut assemblies are fine but in my experience do NOT use their mounts.
Old 03-03-10 | 04:12 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by jagalchi88
Hey guys!
I just saw a link under "rx300 DIY's" how to change the rotors and I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for rotors. Also, if anyone has recommendations for the shocks, please let me know. Thank you!
I really like Raybestos AT (Advanced Technology). Substantial, well machined and has rust-proof coating.
Old 03-03-10 | 04:15 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by JAB
I recently rebuilt all 4 corners of the suspension on my 1999 RX300. The KYB GR-2 strut assemblies are fine but in my experience do NOT use their mounts.
Amen to that!!! KYB mounts are garbage. I used OEM mounts which I liked very much. I read that Moog are also good but I don't have first hand knowledge. Don't try to save $$$ on the mounts.
Old 03-04-10 | 07:51 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

I have KYB GR-2 Struts just replaced from OEM last month, they are stiffer than the OEM, but I like the sporty type ride. I replaced them KYB mounts too. I have all centric rotors all around. They have the anti-rust coating to, definitely worth it. And I changed all the pads to Akebono ceramic.
Old 03-04-10 | 09:25 AM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

Originally Posted by JohnLX300
I have KYB GR-2 Struts just replaced from OEM last month, they are stiffer than the OEM, but I like the sporty type ride. I replaced them KYB mounts too. I have all centric rotors all around. They have the anti-rust coating to, definitely worth it. And I changed all the pads to Akebono ceramic.
How do the brakes compare to OEM? Do the ceramic pads wear the rotors down quicker?

Thanks

BurnishedGoldRX
Old 03-04-10 | 02:15 PM
lexina
Driver

Aftermarket pads or rotors are ways better than OEM. rotors warpped in 20k, then warpped again in 10k after being turned. I don't know if you could find anything worst. They should have recalled these craps. The same stuff goes with camry. They don't do jack until there is deaths involved.

For pads, I like akebono, rotors, I used to like raybesto USA made, but they are not made in USA anymore.

Last edited by lexina; 03-04-10 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-04-10 | 02:26 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by lexina
Aftermarket pads or rotors are ways better than OEM. rotors warpped in 20k, then warpped again in 10k after being turned. I don't know if you could find anything worst. They should have recalled these craps. The same stuff goes with camry. They don't do jack until there is deaths involved.

For pads, I like akebono, rotors, I used to like raybesto USA made, but they are not made in USA anymore.
Wow, I respectfully disagree with regard to pads. Hard to beat Toyota OEM pads. I have tried a few upscale pads and none performed as well as Toyota OEM. On our RX, we got 85k miles without any noise or dust with excellent stopping power. Probably had quite a few more miles on them too.
Old 03-04-10 | 02:39 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

The OEM rotors are pretty damn good. I have nearly 150,000 miles on the originals although they became warped at around 140,000 miles. Now I'm just waiting for the weather to improve so I can get out there and change the rotors ; I won't be changing the pads due to the fact that I just changed them last summer.
Old 03-04-10 | 06:04 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

I got Lexus rotors from Rockauto, about $45 each I believe. Previous owner had put on some other brand, apparently. I recall one of the rear rotors missing the hole to adjust the parking brake. I was going to have the old rotors turned, but it was so little money to buy new ones I did that instead. I'm planning on buying KYB GR-2's one of these days. I've seen them just under $400 shipped for a set of 4. Good luck!
Old 03-04-10 | 06:22 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BurnishedGoldRX
How do the brakes compare to OEM? Do the ceramic pads wear the rotors down quicker?

Thanks

BurnishedGoldRX
I like the akebono pads more than the Toyota ones. I feel that they have more braking power. There were no problems with my rotors, which were OEM, they were great. But I wanted the centric rotors with anti-rust, because I have chrome rims and didn't want any excess rust on them. I have had the pads on for 17k now and at this rate they seem to be good for at least 80k plus.
Old 03-04-10 | 06:49 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I'm using Akebono Proact pads right now, they been going on for almost 3 years (and I was burning through pads in Mexico City at the rate of 6 to 8 months (high altitude, high heat, racing, up and down hills traffic) and I still have the same pads from Mexico. I was going to change them out, but when I looked closely last weekend, they still had perhaps at least 6-8 months more. I do plan to dry some Axxis Deluxe pads as a test (I'm one of the guinea pigs in this forum and that's for everyone's benefit...not just my own) that I already have purchased.

You also want to consider as a brake modification your brake fluid. I've tried a lot of fluids including the pricey Castrol SRF (no joke like $60 a quart), Castrol LMA, Valvoline synthetic, ATE SuperBlue and trying Pentosin right now. Bleeding brakes is really easy to do.

While in Mexico, I tried EBC, Hawk, Carobtech among others and they couldn't match the OEM pads, not until Akebonos did I get an improvement (you can thank TunedRX300 for that recommendation along with the ATE SuperBlue).

Quick Reply: 2001 Rx300 Rotors and shocks