RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Might buy a 2002 RX300??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-10, 01:49 PM
primetime1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might buy a 2002 RX300??

Hey guys,
I am new to the forums so I figured I would come on in and introduce myself and pick a few brains cells.

I just received a call from my family today and they know a lady who has
a 2002 RX300 with 204,000 on it(champagne color) that may be for sale. I have very limited info as of right now but I will give you guys what I have.

Just a few months she replaced the transmission as it blew up. She has owned the car since day 1 and apparently takes rather good care of the car. She drives a crap load from Daytona to Melbourne on a daily basis which explains the mileage she has on it.

My main question is, if I can get into this RX for about $3900 (she's asking $4000), even with the mileage should this be conidered a good deal? I have done some searching on the forum but havent come across many HIGH mileage RX's.. I have noticed that these are prone for tranny failures so I feel alittle relieved that this issue has been already been checked off the list.

Are there any other prone troublesome items I should be aware of?

Thank in advance guys!! Ohh yeah, this will be my 1st Lexus and I do have a few scraps and bumps on the knuckles, so turning a wrench isn't really new to me.
Old 03-04-10, 01:57 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Welcome to the Club.

I'm a little surprised a 2002 blew up with regard to the tranny and not an earlier one like a 99-00. I wonder if she was maintaining the fluid changes properly. Given that it's been recently replaced, that's a good sign though. By that mileage, she would also have come to a second time for changing the timing belt and possibly the water pump (she should have had the pump changed out already once with that mileage).

Do you know what kind of oil she was using?

Also it is an AWD or FWD?

Being in Florida, I don't think that would have its share of bumpy rides, but shocks can start to squeak after 100K.

I know we got a few people here who are ahead of me in mileage that might offer you more info. I'm at 146K.
Old 03-04-10, 02:12 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I think it's a pretty good deal. I am also quite stunned that the previous owner blew the transmission but I have a feeling that she may have gone to a shop where they replaced the tranny fluid with something other than Toyota ATF-IV or something compatible with it, which caused the tranny failure but I'm just speculating here. That was one of the major issues with these cars along with engine sludge but since you have a 2002 and not one of the earlier years you should be safe with that as well. Did the previous owner use synthetic motor oil?
Old 03-04-10, 02:23 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2002 RX300 FWD (with a lot less miles) and it sounds like a great deal to me. The replaced transmission eliminates one of the two big uncertainties. As long as the oil has been regularly changed (and not at a cheapo oil-change place), it sounds like a great deal to me. All cars are somewhat of a gamble (even new), but I plan to hold on to my RX300 for at least another decade.
Old 03-04-10, 03:50 PM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to echo the sentiments of the other posters. As someone with a '99 RX with over 230,000 miles, I still consider my vehicle to be rock solid. If in doubt, I'd take to to a trusted mechanic and have them pull one of the valve covers to evaluate the sludge possibility. A nice overall check is a good idea anyway. But for that price, I would take it in a second.
Old 03-04-10, 04:06 PM
Privacy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Parting out that car would make more $$ then what she wants for it

but a 2002 is a rock solid awesome car to drive

check for any oil gel problems
drive that car on the highway, and around your house, check everything out from stereo to light bulbs to windows and all the little motors and such.

Thats a GREAT deal IMHO
Old 03-05-10, 01:22 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the tranny just replaced i also agree..buy it up while you can thats dirt cheap. I have a 2002 and its awesome. So if the interior and exterior are cosmetically good then your in good shape even with the higher milage.
Old 03-06-10, 01:32 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you're kinda asking the wrong people wether this is a good buy or not. We all love our Rx300s so we're biased! :-) I just got a 02 coach ed a couple of months ago with 34K miles so if u ask me that's a lot of miles but of course I didn't get it for under 4K. But if it's been garaged, it looks good overall, and serviced regularly then that's good.

Originally Posted by hypervish
I think it's a pretty good deal. I am also quite stunned that the previous owner blew the transmission but I have a feeling that she may have gone to a shop where they replaced the tranny fluid with something other than Toyota ATF-IV or something compatible with it, which caused the tranny failure but I'm just speculating here. That was one of the major issues with these cars along with engine sludge but since you have a 2002 and not one of the earlier years you should be safe with that as well. Did the previous owner use synthetic motor oil?
Hypervish,
Good thing you said something about the type of ATF that they use. I never take my cars to the dealer to get the tranny serviced. In fact I normally take it to Jiffy Lube for a drain and fill for the tranny, xfercase, and diffs. I think they used the synthetic blend. And once for my 00 4Runner I had the pan dropped at a tranny shop but I don't think they used Toyota ATF-IV. I just do it regularly and check the smell, if there's a hint of being burnt I get it done right away. $35 is nothing compared to $3,500.

So using other than Toyota ATF-IV is this a big no no on our Rx300s? What else is compatible? Synthetic vs regular?

thanks!
Enz
Old 03-06-10, 01:42 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go for it !! It's a good deal ! Oh by the way, welcome to CL !
Old 03-06-10, 03:39 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Enz
I think you're kinda asking the wrong people wether this is a good buy or not. We all love our Rx300s so we're biased! :-) I just got a 02 coach ed a couple of months ago with 34K miles so if u ask me that's a lot of miles but of course I didn't get it for under 4K. But if it's been garaged, it looks good overall, and serviced regularly then that's good.

Hypervish,
Good thing you said something about the type of ATF that they use. I never take my cars to the dealer to get the tranny serviced. In fact I normally take it to Jiffy Lube for a drain and fill for the tranny, xfercase, and diffs. I think they used the synthetic blend. And once for my 00 4Runner I had the pan dropped at a tranny shop but I don't think they used Toyota ATF-IV. I just do it regularly and check the smell, if there's a hint of being burnt I get it done right away. $35 is nothing compared to $3,500.

So using other than Toyota ATF-IV is this a big no no on our Rx300s? What else is compatible? Synthetic vs regular?

thanks!
Enz

Other options for ATF (all synthetic) are:

Amsoil Synthetic Universal, http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx
Eneos AT, http://www.eneos.us/product/6
Mobil1 Synthetic ATF, http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...hetic_ATF.aspx
Redline D4, http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=51&pcid=9
Royal Purple Max ATF, http://www.royalpurple.com/transmission-fluid.html
Wolf's Head Universal Synthetic, http://www.wolfshead.com/specsheets/...lsynthetic.pdf

I have used Amsoil for 2 years and am now testing out the Redline. I haven't seen an issue. TunedRX300 has gone 50K+ miles on Amsoil and no issues.