RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

engine sludge

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-10, 07:18 AM
jayrocem
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine sludge

rx 99 110000 what could i di if i found out i had engine sludge ????
Old 03-05-10, 07:50 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

depends on how bad.....I know that I had it pretty bad on mine, I suggest pulling the valve covers and try to clean some of it out. Then buy 3 bottles of Auto-RX and perform the sludge application. I have used seafoam, gunk engine flush, and I drove on this stuff, and you shouldn't, but after a few miles even on new oil, it was jet black. I've done this over 6 times, now I'm using Auto-RX, which so far it is working amazing!
Old 03-05-10, 07:57 PM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

Originally Posted by JohnLX300
depends on how bad.....I know that I had it pretty bad on mine, I suggest pulling the valve covers and try to clean some of it out. Then buy 3 bottles of Auto-RX and perform the sludge application. I have used seafoam, gunk engine flush, and I drove on this stuff, and you shouldn't, but after a few miles even on new oil, it was jet black. I've done this over 6 times, now I'm using Auto-RX, which so far it is working amazing!
Do you use Seafoam regularly? How much do you add in with the oil? Do you add it to your fuel as well?
Old 03-06-10, 03:59 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

I do use seafoam regularly, for a flush I pour the entire can in the oil. I was so pissed off on how much sludge was in there I drive it for 300 miles like that. I would say that after 25 miles, on clean oil, it was already black. I put a whole can in the gas, it was like running premium gas, instead of regular. But the product I am really impressed with is Startron Starbrite. I bought it at walmart one day, supposed to increase your gas mileage. It did. I follow the instructions on the bottle. The first tank the gas mileage was horrible. After that, it was at least an extra 2mpg. But, In my RX i also get a 1.5mpg jump if I use 93 in my tank instead of 87. My dad in New York uses it in his Nissan Murano, he says its like running summer mix gas all year round.
Old 03-06-10, 04:54 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I do use seafoam regularly, for a flush I pour the entire can in the oil. I was so pissed off on how much sludge was in there I drive it for 300 miles like that. I would say that after 25 miles, on clean oil, it was already black. I put a whole can in the gas, it was like running premium gas, instead of regular. But the product I am really impressed with is Startron Starbrite. I bought it at walmart one day, supposed to increase your gas mileage. It did. I follow the instructions on the bottle. The first tank the gas mileage was horrible. After that, it was at least an extra 2mpg. But, In my RX i also get a 1.5mpg jump if I use 93 in my tank instead of 87. My dad in New York uses it in his Nissan Murano, he says its like running summer mix gas all year round.
I love the Starbrite product. With the ethanol issues we have here, that thing has really helped a bunch with my RX300 and the Ford Expedition we also have.

There's some cleaners out there that function like that on the first go round, Amsoil is another one, that it might be bad at first (because of the strong cleaning action dislodging everything (we want that)), but come the next tank of gas it's nice and smooth. It seems to be Redline's cleaner works in a slightly slower pace over the course of the tank of gas (that's my favorite for that reason).
Old 03-06-10, 06:29 AM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

I'm going to have to try some of the products you mentioned. I use Seafoam occasionally and it seems to do a good job. I don't like the idea of my oil turning black, though. Have you thought about sending some of your oil off for analysis when you finish? Have you pulled the valve cover to see what it looks like under there?
Old 03-06-10, 01:44 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

I've pulled the front valve cover off, and yea there was sludge!!! I cleaned up as much as I could. Never got to the back but would assume it the same way or worse. I would send off my oil for analysis, but don't know how to do it. That's something I never did before. How do I correctly package it and ship it, and where and how do I contact this place that I send my oil to?
Old 03-06-10, 03:30 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I've pulled the front valve cover off, and yea there was sludge!!! I cleaned up as much as I could. Never got to the back but would assume it the same way or worse. I would send off my oil for analysis, but don't know how to do it. That's something I never did before. How do I correctly package it and ship it, and where and how do I contact this place that I send my oil to?
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

Cost is $22.50 for the test.

BTW, what oil were you using when this happened?
Old 03-06-10, 04:02 PM
tomstep2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jayrocem
rx 99 110000 what could i di if i found out i had engine sludge ????
how long have you had it? Do you have all service records? Was oil changed per the recommended intervals? If you have, and have a full service history, talk to your Service Advisor at the dealer. You might get your engine replaced. They did my 99 RX a few years ago since I had full records of every service done at proper intervals. If not, I will swear by Seafoam. Just make sure you do it properly. Search for threads on it in CL and you will see major improvement.

I use it regularly on my 93 ES and it runs smooth as silk and no sludge issues.

Good Luck!
Old 03-06-10, 04:12 PM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

I see Lexmex sent the info on how to check the oil. I've seen a lot of people who have used them with good results. I need to do it myself one day. Have you pulled the valve cover lately to see how well the treatments have worked? I need to take my RX 'down' for maintenance soon and I need to take a peek at mine.
Old 03-06-10, 06:01 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

Cost is $22.50 for the test.

BTW, what oil were you using when this happened?
The point at which I pulled the valve cover, I just changed the oil for the first time since I bought the car. The changed it before I got it. I waited 2,000 miles, then changed it to mobile 1 syn. On what I saw under the valve cover, I am assuming that the previous owner use dino. Funny thing how now I am running dino again for my first auto-rx treatment, the engine runs smoother and its a lot quieter than when I ran the synthetic oil?
Old 03-29-10, 05:49 PM
1nablxsonr
Driver School Candidate

We bought our rx from a dealer with 127K. Original owner service records ended @ 60K. Dealer did an oil change with krex product along with K-1 graphite engine lubricant. Checked the oil an noticed a burnt mark about half way up the stick. I'm wondering if prior owner had sludge issues. Is there any way to find out?
Old 03-30-10, 05:17 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

I had a decent amount of sludge in my engine, and no burnt oil on the dipstick. But, If you look under the oil filler cap, I had a considerable amount of sludge underneath that.
Old 03-30-10, 06:19 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Sludge is NOT visible from the oil filler cap, that's just old oil crud which is normal build-up. Sludge is however visible if you take off the valve covers.
Old 03-30-10, 08:09 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

The point at which I pulled the valve cover, I just changed the oil for the first time since I bought the car. The changed it before I got it. I waited 2,000 miles, then changed it to mobile 1 syn. On what I saw under the valve cover, I am assuming that the previous owner use dino. Funny thing how now I am running dino again for my first auto-rx treatment, the engine runs smoother and its a lot quieter than when I ran the synthetic oil?
Not uncommon. My 2005 RX 330 is the same way. What conventional oil are you using right now ?

Quick Reply: engine sludge