RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Cel P0171 & Rear Light Failure Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-10, 12:59 PM
ididit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cel P0171 & Rear Light Failure Warning Light

mine is Lexus RX300, 1999. recently, its CEL begins to on and off for a while. last week, it keeps being on and I begin to smell strong gas smell when I start the car. I found that there is some leaking oil on the ground.

another one is that Rear Light failure warning light begins to on and off for a while too. Now it keeps being on.

I am quite new to repair cars. anyone can help me have some idea what problem could be and anyway to repair it by myself?
Old 03-09-10, 01:56 PM
bearbrew
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake light

Sometimes the filament wire will intermittently make contact where it was originally connected and give strange readings causing the light on the dash to be on then off. It just depends where the filament wire is at the time.

The dash light has been on on my wife's 2000 RX300 for a few days and today I got around to checking it out. Before the bulb finally burned out the dash light would sometimes be on and at other times it would be off. After I replaced the bulb the dash light went out. Problem solved and now the 3rd brake light works. Below is the procedure I used to replace the bulb.

1) Opened hatch to gain access.
2) Removed trim at top of window that covers the light assembly. I worked my fingers under the trim above and below the center of the window. Then I started pulling the trim straight away from the window. After the center area popped loose I worked the rest of the cover off. After the cover is off is the time to pull all the metal clips off the door frame and install them on the attaching points on the trim. It is almost impossible to put the trim back on unless you do this.
3) Now you can pry off the light assembly by prying the assembly off from the top. I tried tripping the little tabs at the bottom but the light would not come out so I pried from the top.
4) With the light assembly in your hand you can disconnect the electrical wire from the bulb housing.
5) Rotate the bulb housing in the reflector for easy access to the bulb.
6) Remove the bulb.
7) Install the new bulb, install bulb housing in reflector, connect electrical wiring. Let the light assembly hang so you can see it when you turn the ignition switch to run and step on the brake. Install everything in reverse order of removal.

If you forgot to install the clips on the trim panel you will spend some frustration time trying to get that last piece, the trim panel, back on.

Bearbrew
Old 03-09-10, 03:26 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Need to check what code the ecu stored.
Autozone or Pepboys will scan it for free.

Refer to Bearbrew's response for the light failure problem.
Old 03-09-10, 04:35 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by bearbrew
Sometimes the filament wire will intermittently make contact where it was originally connected and give strange readings causing the light on the dash to be on then off. It just depends where the filament wire is at the time.

The dash light has been on on my wife's 2000 RX300 for a few days and today I got around to checking it out. Before the bulb finally burned out the dash light would sometimes be on and at other times it would be off. After I replaced the bulb the dash light went out. Problem solved and now the 3rd brake light works. Below is the procedure I used to replace the bulb.

1) Opened hatch to gain access.
2) Removed trim at top of window that covers the light assembly. I worked my fingers under the trim above and below the center of the window. Then I started pulling the trim straight away from the window. After the center area popped loose I worked the rest of the cover off. After the cover is off is the time to pull all the metal clips off the door frame and install them on the attaching points on the trim. It is almost impossible to put the trim back on unless you do this.
3) Now you can pry off the light assembly by prying the assembly off from the top. I tried tripping the little tabs at the bottom but the light would not come out so I pried from the top.
4) With the light assembly in your hand you can disconnect the electrical wire from the bulb housing.
5) Rotate the bulb housing in the reflector for easy access to the bulb.
6) Remove the bulb.
7) Install the new bulb, install bulb housing in reflector, connect electrical wiring. Let the light assembly hang so you can see it when you turn the ignition switch to run and step on the brake. Install everything in reverse order of removal.

If you forgot to install the clips on the trim panel you will spend some frustration time trying to get that last piece, the trim panel, back on.

Bearbrew
I would make one correction ... on the left side there is metal clip which is "L" shaped. This metal clip needs to be attached to the body/glass edge and not attached to the garnish (there are wires that run there too.

Salim
Old 03-09-10, 08:01 PM
bearbrew
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Salim,

I appreciate the correction. When I took the trim off I did not see an ell shaped clip. The clip was probably left off when the body shop rebuilt the RX after my wife was rearended. Tomorrow I will pull the trim and check for the clip.