RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

slotted rotors??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-10, 05:52 PM
jagalchi88
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default slotted rotors??

Does anybody know if ATE PremiumOne Slotted Rotor has good stopping power?
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ar=&perfCode=S

How do they compare to OEM and is it okay for me to just change the front rotors and not the rear ones?

Please leave comments... I don't know much about mechanical stuff...
Old 03-09-10, 08:10 PM
2000LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put on some cheepys from ebay and they are fantastic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3160&viewitem=
Old 03-09-10, 08:13 PM
2000LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Here is a pic

Old 03-11-10, 06:07 PM
bearbrew
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ATE rotors

My RX300 is still running the original rotors with no problems. When the time comes to replace them I will be going to Brembo rotors.

I also own a 2000 Toyota Tundra that had problems with warping rotors. Toyota gave me a new set under warranty and they lasted about a year and warped also. After doing a extensive research I came across Brembo and ordered a set out of Canada. To the door was less expensive than buying stateside. They are still on the Tundra and no more warping problem.

Doing a little research online I came across www.autohausaz.com and looked around. By going to "Car Care", then to "Gasoline Alley", "Tech Tip #6" I read information about OEM and related replacement parts. On the site I see where ATE is OEM on a lot of different autos. Below is from their website:

[Quote] "Brembo brake discs, designed specifically for the Formula One racing circuit, are now offered for street use. Since 1961, Brembo has been the exclusive supplier of brake calipers to Porsche and brake rotor supplier to racers worldwide (FIA Rally, Formula One, CART, NASCAR, Porsche, Ferrari and more). You can't do any better for fit and performance than Brembo.

At the right price they are excellent rotors.

Bearbrew
Old 03-11-10, 07:04 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Back in Dec. 2004 (last time I serviced at Lexus), I had my front rotors replaced due to warping and the rears machined/turned. Even after machining those same OEM rotors a few times in Mexico City since, they are still going without any warpage.
Old 03-30-10, 11:36 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Cool

Folks,

The last time I installed new Ceramic pads (2005) I had the front rotors resurfaced at my local garage. I'm feeling a little pulsating now and then after a stop light drag race. I figure I might be be due for new pads and rotor resurfacing.

I wonder how many times can I safely have the front rotors resurfaced? Anyone here had them turned more than two times? Report in.

Jerry
Old 03-31-10, 05:55 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry Stil
Folks,

The last time I installed new Ceramic pads (2005) I had the front rotors resurfaced at my local garage. I'm feeling a little pulsating now and then after a stop light drag race. I figure I might be be due for new pads and rotor resurfacing.

I wonder how many times can I safely have the front rotors resurfaced? Anyone here had them turned more than two times? Report in.

Jerry
Jerry,

I had my front rotors replaced in Dec. 2004 and still have original OEM rotors. I've probably lost count how many times I've had the rotors machined when I was in Mexico since 2004, but I know it's at least twice. The combination of racing and low oxygen made the rotor issue and even brake issue brutal. I was going through pads ever 6 to 8 months on the stock Lexus pads (and even aftermarket pads like Hawk, EBC, Carbotech, Ferodo). Only when I switched to the Akebono ProActs did I stop the bleeding and still am on the same pads from 2007 with what appears from a recent inspect a good more ways to go.

At least being at sea level we have more oxygen to help cool things down.

Ron
Old 04-01-10, 12:39 AM
Aprazur
Rookie

LEXMEX: "At least being at sea level we have more oxygen to help cool things down."

AND HUMIDITY!!! My Girl friend used to park her car in the drive (mine in the garage!) for about a week before using it. Her brake rotors would RUST (in a week only). The first time she stepped on the brakes they would squeal like crazy until the rust wore off.

I usually change her oil, But, one day we had an argument and she saw a $19.95 Saturn dealer oil change ad in the news paper. And, took her new Saturn to the dealer for an oil change to spite me.

Four hours later she returned home with a receipt for four hundred + dollars from the dealer for new rotors and brakes (Ft only). The dealer showed her the rusty rotors and told her the car was very unsafe to drive. And, the brakes were not covered under warranty.

As she was setting in the dealers waiting room, a lady sitting next to her said that the same thing happened to her the last oil change she had at that dealer!

My girl friend had only 17K miles on the car! GM Saturn Dealer Ripped her off.

Jerry